Powershell scripting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on project. I need to extract all the users connected to the domain computers since the last year.

in other word, I need to know the users connected to each computer on the domain since the last year.

So, if you know a tool or you have a script that I can adapt to my environnement will be appreciate it

Thank you

• Moved by jrv Monday, June 1, 2020 10:31 PM Abandoned - no answer
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 7:54 PM

Answers

• What are you saying make non sense.

Quest is one of the best migration tools (Google the Gardner report), it works great with AD. it provide more features than ADMT.

https://www.quest.com/products/migration-manager-for-active-directory/

I don't need a consultant, its not my first migration. 

For the powershell script my programmer did confirmed that the script will be ready tomorrow.

• Marked as answer by Berkani49 Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:13 AM

All replies

• What you are asking for is not possible if you have not set up your system to retain this information.  There is no script that can do this without the system being set up for it.

I suggest taking so me time to learn about Windows AD and how it works - what it retains in logs.

You can also search for many companies that have products that can create reports.  They will be able to tell you if your system can do this usually by letting you run a demo or an analyzer.

In any case this is the wrong forum for your issue:

Please carefully review the following links to set your expectation for posting in technical forums.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:56 PM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for the answer, but I think you did not undersatnd my question.

I work with AD for years, I know Exactly what I'm talking about. You can do it through a Powershell script using the timestamps for the users directory.

In one of my previous job, we had a powershell programmer who made a script that do the jobs.

I`m working on the script, once I`m done 

I will share it with you

Monday, June 1, 2020 4:38 PM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for the answer, but I think you did not undersatnd my question.

I work with AD for years, I know Exactly what I'm talking about. You can do it through a Powershell script using the timestamps for the users directory.

In one of my previous job, we had a powershell programmer who made a script that do the jobs.

I`m working on the script, once I`m done 

I will share it with you

We can't help with anonymous scripts that you mention.  We cannot create a script for you.  If you have a script and a question please post the script with any errors and a clear description of your issue.

Yes we can do many things with the AD module.  To track users the AD system must be configured for auditing.  The solution is to look in the event log for AD to see the audit records.  This can be done with the GUI or with PowerShell.

Since you have worked with AD for years then you already know this so there is no way to understand what you are trying to ask.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, June 1, 2020 7:46 PM
  • Alright no need. 

I talked to my programmer and he will do it. 

Just to let you know, when I do domain migration using Quest I need to have the list of local users connected to each computer so I can transfer their profiles and because of the computers are used by multiple users, I need to have only the ones connected since the last year, this help my client to do a cleaning / transfer at the same time and at the same time save my client on licensing (quest)

Anyway thankx

• Marked as answer by Berkani49 Monday, June 1, 2020 10:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by jrv Monday, June 1, 2020 10:27 PM
    Monday, June 1, 2020 10:06 PM
  • Quest is no longer a supported product by anyone and will not work well with AD.  Quest was discontinued years ago.

I recommend reading the MS documents on how to do a modern domain migration and look at the tools and scripts that are available to do this.  No one has done this from scratch for years.

What you need is to contact a consultant who is trained in NT and who's training is current to the level of your migration.

This task is actually quite easy once you know the correct way to do it and you have the correct tools.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, June 1, 2020 10:30 PM
  • What are you saying make non sense.

Quest is one of the best migration tools (Google the Gardner report), it works great with AD. it provide more features than ADMT.

https://www.quest.com/products/migration-manager-for-active-directory/

I don't need a consultant, its not my first migration. 

For the powershell script my programmer did confirmed that the script will be ready tomorrow.

• Marked as answer by Berkani49 Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:13 AM
  • This is not a Quest forum.   Posts in the vendor forum for Quest.  Quest CmdLets do not work with current versions of NT.

This new tool you are referencing may be what you want but this is not the forum for asking questions about third party tools.

THe request about AD that you ask cannot be done without having your AD configured for auditing and the auditing has to have been archived.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:37 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 2:36 AM