WHS 2011 RC Installation in VMWare Player (error) RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to install the RC of WHS 2011 in vmware player to try it out.

I set it up to boot from the .iso image I downloaded from connect (EN-US_WHS_PREM_InstallDVD.iso).

Boots up to "Starting Windows" up to screen where you select "New Installation" or "Repair an existing Installation".  Choosing "New Installation" Shows the Disk 0 40.00GB Primary virtual drive i created for it, click the checkbox for "I understand that if I click install..." and click install.  Immediately get an error "There was a problem during the installation... To restart the installation, click Restart... you can also view the installation error logs."

Logs listed:

<<

INFO: Beginning execution from folder: X:\sources

Disk 602ada7d-6e63-44f9-855d-191d955ea1f9

Name:  \\?\PhysicalDrive0

Friendly Name:

Address: Port0Path0Target0Lun0

Device path:  \\?\ide#diskvmware_virtual_ide_hard_drive______________000000001#5&1778b74b&0&0.0.0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}

Adaptor:  ATA Channel 0

Health:  HEALTHY

Device type:  DISK

Media type:  0x0000000c

Size:  42949672960

Bytes per sector:  512

Sectors per track:  63

Tracks per cylinder:  255

Flags:  0x00005000

Bus type: VDSBusTypeAta

Partition style:  UNKNOWN

Extent 0 type 0x00007fff size 42949672960 offset 0

[unallocated]

WARNING: Changing partition type of system drive to 1 due to firmware requirements

Getting configuration for SystemPartitionActive

Populating internal setting from existing data

Getting configuration for SystemPartitionFormat

Getting configuration for MSRPartitionType

Getting configuration for WindowsPartitionID

No Value supplied, using default value AUTO

Getting configuration for WindowsPartitionSize

No value supplied, using default value 61440

Calculated pre system partition remaining space as: 42843766784

ERROR:  Specific partition size is too large to support a data partition, maximum possible is: 30619 MB (Alternatively, use MAX to span the whole disk)

ERROR:  The value chosen for this setting is invalid

[TRACE] UIBackend::Launch : Exited (0x80004005)

Failed to launch Windows setup

>>

VWare Player is the latest version (3.1.3 build-324285)

Host OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I've rebuilt the vmware several times using multiple settings to try to get it to get past the error.  I've tried virtual drives with ide and scsi.

Just can't get past this very initial step of the setup program.

Any thoughts?

Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:37 AM

Answers

• Is that big enough of a drive for whs 2011?  Thought it required a larger drive.
    • Marked as answer by nstuff12345 Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:31 PM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:40 AM

All replies

• Is that big enough of a drive for whs 2011?  Thought it required a larger drive.
    • Marked as answer by nstuff12345 Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:31 PM
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Windows 2008 R2 Minimum Disk Requirements:   32 GB or greater

But digging around, I found Vail beta minimum requirements was 160GB.  I upped the disk to 200GB and it immediately got past the error.  The error made me think there was a funky issue with how it detected as it said the partition was too big.  Very odd.  Anyway, glad it was something stupid.  Just wish the error was less cryptic.

Sunday, February 6, 2011 1:41 AM
  • Do you have 2 drives attached to the VM and is the first one smaller
    than 160G?

I ran into the same exact problem (running in Win2008R2SP1 Hyper-V)
    and I had 4 virtual disks attached.  I had to raise the first one to
    160G and detach the rest of the drives for the install, then after the
    install, I reattached them.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 2:52 AM
  • No, in this case, i simply thought 40GB would be enough since the iso image is 4GB and the minimum for the base server OS is 32GB.  In particular, i want to test out Vail's ability to handle backing up systems with a lot of data and seeing if it can spread the backup files over all drives automatically.  This is a huge concern since they nuked DE and we are now limited to a single drive being 3TB (without having to introduce some raid scenario).  So, i was trying to keep the drive as small as possible to make testing this out easier.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 3:31 PM
  • No, in this case, i simply thought 40GB would be enough since the iso image is 4GB and the minimum for the base server OS is 32GB.  In particular, i want to test out Vail's ability to handle backing up systems with a lot of data and seeing if it can spread the backup files over all drives automatically.  This is a huge concern since they nuked DE and we are now limited to a single drive being 3TB (without having to introduce some raid scenario).  So, i was trying to keep the drive as small as possible to make testing this out easier.
    You need to read the system requirements first. The system disk must be *at least* 160GB. "So, i was trying to keep the drive as small as possible to make testing this out easier." Wrong, the VMware disk is allocated only as needed, it will not create a flat 160GB disk file from start. I installed yesterday The Vail RC inside a VMware Player VM and it worked without any issues.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 4:02 PM