OneCare on Laptops RRS feed

• Question

• Whilst I am generally satisfied with the level of protection OneCare provides I have a problem with convenience on laptops. My laptop is generally left off and rarely used. However when I do choose to fire it up it immediately goes into an anti-virus check or worse still a Tune-Up. Now given I don't use the machine very much and it spends little time hooked up to the Internet I would like to put the Tune-Up cycle back to say 3 months and the antivirus check to 'never unless requested'. But I cannot do this! As I believe the protection is generally working well I do not believe I need to do so much checking.

I should also add that a number of my friends who are running One Care and not so computer savvy have complained to me about their machines, which are almost always laptops, running slowly, and I believe it is indeed this problem that is causing the slowdown. They typically turn on their machine to email or surf the web and immediately get bogged down by the virus scan running in the background.

Monday, January 14, 2008 4:59 PM

Answers

• Yes, if the machine is off when the Tune-up is scheduled it kicks in shortly after start. You can cancel it and then manually run it later, leaving the machine on to complete.

The daily "quick scan" is also something that will execute shortly after startup if the PC was off when it was scheduled to run. The only way around this would be to schedule it for a time when the PC will be on and you plan on not being impacted by it - say during lunch... Not ideal, I agree, but the idea is that a scan needs to run. As you noted, the minimum interval for Tune-up is monthly, and I think the best thing to do is plan on leaving the PC on for it's execution. Less than monthly and you really begin to lose the benefits of Tune-up.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:00 PM

All replies

• Yes, if the machine is off when the Tune-up is scheduled it kicks in shortly after start. You can cancel it and then manually run it later, leaving the machine on to complete.

The daily "quick scan" is also something that will execute shortly after startup if the PC was off when it was scheduled to run. The only way around this would be to schedule it for a time when the PC will be on and you plan on not being impacted by it - say during lunch... Not ideal, I agree, but the idea is that a scan needs to run. As you noted, the minimum interval for Tune-up is monthly, and I think the best thing to do is plan on leaving the PC on for it's execution. Less than monthly and you really begin to lose the benefits of Tune-up.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Hmm, now I don't have to wonder now, why when I boot up my laptop, which I don't use very often, it downloads a OneCare Update, and then proceeds to do a tuneup.

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:49 PM