HPC license activation filter RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to set up an activation filter that only starts a job if certain license are available for it to go. Unfortunately not being a C++ programmer most of the examples make little sense to me. Is there a license filter for dummies guide that I can use that will alolow me to takeone of the examples from the resources site and see how it works? In partiocular the format of the xml file would be good.

As part of this if one job is held due to lack of licenses another job should be able to run if it has the correct licenses. For those familiar with LSF this would be something like an elim file

Owen
    Monday, May 12, 2008 3:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• This post contains an example Activation Filter that you can use as a reference:

http://archives.windowshpc.net/files/4/sdk/entry898.aspx

It doesn't matter language you write it in; C/C++, C#, FORTRAN, Perl; anything should do.  We just look at the return code.  As for the XML schema; that should be provided as part of our SDK:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=COmpute+Cluster+Pack+SDK&src=IE-SearchBox

We don't have any feature to let jobs bypass a job held up by an Activation Filter (though you might be able to rig something with a creative activation filter).  We are investigating this an other Licensing features for inclusion in Version 3.

Thanks,
    Josh

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:04 AM
  • The licensing issue being solved right now with a filter seems a nice workaround, but needs something more to work properly.
    Apart from the Issue Owen mentioned,  
    A number applications that use token based licensing need some time (up to serveral minutes) to start, and claim their license from the server. 

During this startup period, the scheduler might decide that one or more calculations with the same solver can be started.
    Depending on the amount of available licenses, one or more of these additional solvers might exit. 
    The License subsystem should keep track of the requested licenses per job, and substract them from the license server output until they are actually in use.

As i am a system administrator and not a programmer, i am unable to change the example activation filter accordingly. But i hope this information makes sense to someone who can
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:06 AM