XP Asking To Reactivate At Startup - But XP Says It's Already Activated? RRS feed

• Question

•  

As the title says, XP is asking me to activate "withing X days..." each time it boots.  The X days is counting down each day.  I click on OK so it can "activate", but after checking the computer, it tells me that "it is already activated."

So, why am I getting this activation prompt when XP boots if XP clearly knows it is already activated?

I did just recently add Vista as a "dual boot".  I added a partition to my 500GB c:\ drive in order to add Vista as the dual boot.  So, I'm guessing that this is the reason.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to get rid of the XP activation prompt? 

Oh and for the curious.... YES it is a legit copy of XP.  I have been using it for years, purchased it myself, have re-installed several times, have called MS several times to get it re-registered before, and... YES I called the last time I re-installed to get it re-registered again.  So, it is installed properly, legally, etc...

-------------

Update:  I just did this...

--Cryptographic--

For any cryptographic issues (not including the rare cryptographic errors resulting from DirectX 9.0c install)

1) Go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/
    2) Click "Start Diagnostics"
    3a) If it passes, then you are not having a "normal" cryptographic issue. Please post on the forums with a detailed description of the symptoms.

It of course passed with flying colors.  Everything was "official" and "activated" properly.  So, no problems there.

-------------------

I also ran MGAdiag.exe...

On the first run, the Windows tab came up with a "cryptograhpic error."  I clicked on "resolve" or whatever "fix" button was at the bottom.

The second time I ran it, it came back as "good."

I'm rebooting now to see if this fixes my probmlem.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• Ok.  I just rebooted and the problem is STILL there.  Agghhh.....  Smile

Now what?

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:54 PM
  • bjmarler,

Please go to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us

Please post back to the forum if you have any additional questions or if this kb help file did not help you.

Lori MS

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:05 PM