irritating issue with my wifi and home server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a wrt54gs hooked up to my network switch which is hooked up to my cable modem. Default gateway is 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, the linksys is what I use for wifi in the house. Problem is that I can't get my 'permanent' laptops to connect to the server via the connector software I:E to do backup's etc. Wierd thing is that I can dial the server via the servers address 10.xxx.xxx.xxx from the laptops via wireless. I tried to change the ip addy's in the linksys to 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and I get an error message stating that the wan and the lan are the same? ok so back to default with dhcp server on in the linksys which spits out a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx addy. I have tried it with the dhcp server off on the linksys to no avail. The two 'laptops' are on windows 7 one is premium and one is professional all my other machines are hard wired and running ultimate.

I am not sure if I have sp3 installed yet or not, I know I have sp2 though gonna look at that. However I am sure that my weak link here is the linksys. Do I have to do the pain in the ____ port forwarding ____ from the linksys to the server? 10.xxx.xxx.35?

Thanx

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:10 AM

All replies

• So, with a factory default on the WRT54G and everything on DHCP, it still won't work?
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Yes that is correct. I am thinking I need to port forward the linksys to the cable modem?
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:45 PM