GR in Country/Region field for U.S. site? RRS feed

• Question

• Just set up a webmaster account for 3 sites that I maintain.  While everything seems fine, I notice a gr in our country/region field.  I believe this stands for Greece? But our site is hosted in the U.S.  Is this a common problem?  How can it be corrected?  Thanks in advance for any help.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I spoke with our dev team and it is a known issue that they are working on. Unfortunately, part of the issue is external to Microsoft. That being said, this issue should not affect your page ranking.

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Hi Wiz,

I am glad that the issue is fixed. I am going to make this sticky for other people's use.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:01 PM

All replies

• Me too...

Mine shows De (german I think) but as you can see from the site: ( http://www.londontechtraining.com )we are based in London, UK...Will this have an adverse effect and how can we fix this?

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:53 AM
  • Does anyone have any information on this at all? or even a suggestion as to where to look?  We even confirmed with out host, that the servers are physically in the U.S.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 5:43 PM
  • Hi,

I spoke with our dev team and it is a known issue that they are working on. Unfortunately, part of the issue is external to Microsoft. That being said, this issue should not affect your page ranking.

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:28 PM
  •  Brett Yount wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Brett

Brett, I think this is affecting our page ranking. I have a business site that is city dependent and I get no results searching on a keyword combo that returns results on the other search engines.  When I add loc:RU to the query it comes up. Is there anyway to fix this with a meta tag on our site?
    Thursday, March 27, 2008 5:01 AM
  • OH it affects page ranking alright. I have been going through hell dealing with support on this issue for 5 months now. My site Tech Clinic is has been designated an AE country/region. This is the United Arab Emirates. My site is physically hosted in the US. When I email support all they do is reply with some *** about backlinks and other canned type messages. Noone seems to understand what i'm trying to tell the. Not only does it effect page rank but your site should not show up at all in the search results. On any page. You can test this by typing is a keyword search for something your site should come up for the put a space and specify the geographic location to concentrate your search on. Do this by putting in loc:<REGION CODE>.... They need to fix this asap. I don't know where else to turn.

for example:

Code Snippet

winter sweaters loc:GR

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:35 PM
  • I think I have solved this mystery. After speding the better half of the whole day experimenting, researching, adding sites, etc... Anyway, here's what I believe it is. Recently GoDaddy changed their control panels/interface. I beleiev that this transition caused some data to be incorrectly designated within the WHOIS database. Specifically the COUNTRY field. Mind you I checked the registration info a few times at different times all day formultiple domains using both WHOIS info and the GoDaddy CP without noticing or paying attention to the COUNTRY field. Anyway in my case the country was set to URAGUAY. Well when looking at LIVE.com's options in the advanced search the list of countries does NOT contain URAGUAY. So using some logig I assume that their system automatically tries to choose the country alphabetically and in my case the next logical choice is U.A.E (United Arab Emirates) .... country code AE........ Man if this fixes it I will be so happy but at the same time I will feel foolish for not finding the solution sooner. I never expected that GoDaddy would perform such a change where which it can affect my registration / contact WHOIS info.. So guys and gals look into this yourselves and see if your situation is similar. Needless to say I have updated the contact info for my domains.
    Friday, April 4, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Network solutions has the domain listed as a US ip and my registration has us as well.  I'm stumped.  Very disappointing. 
    Monday, April 7, 2008 3:21 AM
  •  

has there been an update to this issue?
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I am the original poster of this issue and I have posted the details on a few boards.  To date, there has been no solution.  The GoDaddy solution above...while more than appreciated...does not solve the problem for us.  Our site is not hosted on GoDaddy, and is definitely hosted in the U.S. but still shows as Greece.  Our keywords that are in the top 3 for Google and Yahoo when searched in the U.S. do not appear anywhere at all in MSN.
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:16 PM
  • I can now confirm that the Webmaster Tools has my sites listed as US sites and that it is now showing up in search results. So what I did must have worked. Either that or the engineers fixed it themselves because I've had an open support case as well. I am leaning towards the registrar settings myself. I'm just glad it's fixed at this point.

IEX. My solution has nothing to do with GoDaddy hosting but with the registrar portion. Check your domain CONTACTS in the control panel area of whatever registrar you use. In my case it was GoDaddy and I had to actually click EDIT in order to see that the country was wrong as well as the dialing prefix for the phone number.
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Hi Wiz,

I am glad that the issue is fixed. I am going to make this sticky for other people's use.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:01 PM
  •  

Hi

I also have a UK site www.lingerie2u.com that comes up with language Da (Denmark) but only for the main page. The rest of the pages have the correct language.

One of my best keywords is uk lingerie which ranks number 1 on yahoo.co.uk but ranks nowhere on msn.co.uk. But ranks ok on msn.dk.

I've opened a case with msn and they say they are working on it, but its slow. Emails just seem to go back and forth asking for website ip addresses etc.

Why don't msn just take a look at yahoo and googles webmaster tools and emulate what they do, you can actually pick your own geographical region.

Our site has a uk ip address, is written in english, uses pounds sterling as its main currency, and according to msn is Danish. The beta tools have got a long long long way to go, I honestly think its not worth the bother.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  Mark S Carpenter wrote:

I also have a UK site www.lingerie2u.com that comes up with language Da (Denmark) but only for the main page. The rest of the pages have the correct language.

My site www.ooltra.net contains English translations of songs.

Although each page has
    html lang="en" xml:lang="en"
    in the header, the displayed language is the language of the original lyrics. The search engine seems to be picking up on the many subsidiary language specifications in, for example, 'span' tags.

The choice seems random. The main page has "es", "fr", "it" and"ru" tags in that order and the page is shown as French.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 6:51 PM