Cannot connect device to live mesh RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed live mesh on a Windows XP client pc using an administrators account but my device still says This device is synchronizing but cannot be remotely accessed. Check the Live Mesh notifier on the device to see if Live Mesh remote desktop enhancements need to be installed. I have adde live mesh to my firewall exceptions and also repaired Live mesh but i still can't get my device to connect.Any help will be appreciated.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Amazonfella,

You should not need to install remote desktop enhancements on XP (those are required for Vista only), so something is definitely wrong.  Please submit a bug report with your logs (from the XP computer), so that we can take a closer look.  Instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Amazonfella,

You should not need to install remote desktop enhancements on XP (those are required for Vista only), so something is definitely wrong.  Please submit a bug report with your logs (from the XP computer), so that we can take a closer look.  Instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:59 PM
  • I have now uploaded my live mesh logs to the subit a bug section
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:30 PM
  • I have the same problem - one of my computers XP which I could remote into before - I can no longer. "This device is synchronizing but cannot be remotely accessed."

Strange I am not sure what to do.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Hi webguy 7,

Please go ahead and submit a bug report of your own, with your logs attached.  See the Announcement at the top of forums for instructions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Ok Ben - I have just done this now. 
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:29 PM
  • My bug report is:

I got a few emails on this and I provided the documentation but no further follow up.  Still have issue - sync ok, no remote desktop to XP device. 
    Vista working great!
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:06 PM
  • We're seeing similar behavior one one of several remote systems in my mesh (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit).  A proposed workaround would be much appreciated.
    Matt Thyer
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:07 PM
  • We're seeing similar behavior one one of several remote systems in my mesh (Windows 7 Professional 64-bit).  A proposed workaround would be much appreciated.
    Matt Thyer

You've responded to a thread that's 2 years old, Matt.

What is "similar" behavior? I assume that you mean that you are unable to connect to the remote system in your Mesh. What is it showing in the Live Mesh client on the local and remote PCs as far as online status? What do you see at www.mesh.com?

Is the remote machine behind a firewall? What security software is in use on the remote machine?

Were you ever able to connect to the remote machine?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Steve-

I just downloaded Live Mesh 2011 on my Mac and as well on my Windows 7 that I'm dual booting off my MacBook.  I have another laptop with Windows 7 that I've installed Live Mesh 2011 on and have it signed in properly.

When I click on Manage to manage the device it just sits there and does nothing.  I've tried this from laptop A to laptop B and vice versa.  One thing that I have noticed is on the Mac in the LM box that lists my devices and what I'm syncing it constantly says "Processing" and "Talking to Server".

I've checked on both laptops if remote access is enabled and it is... What am I missing here?

Thanks,

John B.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Steve-

I just downloaded Live Mesh 2011 on my Mac and as well on my Windows 7 that I'm dual booting off my MacBook.  I have another laptop with Windows 7 that I've installed Live Mesh 2011 on and have it signed in properly.

When I click on Manage to manage the device it just sits there and does nothing.  I've tried this from laptop A to laptop B and vice versa.  One thing that I have noticed is on the Mac in the LM box that lists my devices and what I'm syncing it constantly says "Processing" and "Talking to Server".

I've checked on both laptops if remote access is enabled and it is... What am I missing here?

Thanks,

John B.

I guess the first question is how long ago did you install and is the data actually in sync. When you are clicking Manage, that is at devices.live.com, yes? Manage simply allows you to disable Windows Live Mesh on the PC name that you click on - a toggle to disable Mesh on that device if it is enabled. Clicking on the device name lets you see the folders being synchronized, and clicking personalize lets you change the name of the device and choose an icon other than the default.

I can't tell you why nothing happens when you click manage - it is a long URL using what appears to be a GUID for the device.

It sounds like you are looking to connect remotely. That is probably not available between a Mac and a PC. Between the two PCs, if they are online and available for remote connections, you'll see them available on the remote tab in the client software and another link below the device name that says "connect to this device" - if no link appears, it isn't signed on on the service, remote connections are not allowed, or there is a firewall issue blocking it.

Since you are referring to Windows Live Mesh, not Live Mesh - www.mesh.com, you are in the wrong forum.

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:21 PM