HP Mediasmart Server Now Available to Pre-Order RRS feed

All replies

• Hello Terry, hopefully only the images of the HP hardware are outdated (e.g. Amazon). You will not find the eSata connector at the back. Though Amazon has a good price I would not like to buy "old" prototype stuff.

Maybe somebody from HP can clear this problem out. Are there any differences? Tnx

Monday, November 5, 2007 5:38 PM
  • The specifications as published on HP's web site state that there is 1 eSATA port.
    Monday, November 5, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Also Amazon's description of product say the same thing.  I just pre-ordered the HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live/ 64 Bit Sempron Processor, 1 TB Hard Drive) for $709.99.  You can always cancel before they get the product in, which probably won't be for a few weeks.

I have posted previously questionning the horsepower of the MediaSmart for serving pre-recorded HD videos and television format.  If I am making a mistake, i.e. if this unit can't handle the bandwidth on a gigabit wired network, I would appreciate someone letting me know so that I can cancel my order.

Thanks,

Boliek

Monday, November 5, 2007 6:51 PM
  • HP hasn't revealed all the internals of their device (to me, anyway Smile ) but if you're not transcoding, I don't see why the MediaSmart Server wouldn't be able to stream multiple HD streams...
    Monday, November 5, 2007 8:33 PM
  • I am by no means am sure about this but am thinking on the Sempron processor choice they were going for obvious cost savings. The video files can be stored on the server, but you'll pull then and play them on your system so that's where the processor power comes into play is on the client pcs. Got to admit though, I am a little surprised that they went with a Sempron. I am working on building and am going to start with a more updated (probably dual core) chip. Think it will be fine if not HP's got a problem. I haven't seen any specs on builds by other manufacturers (like Gateway) and would like to- haven't seen any other product release info yet. 

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 3:57 AM
  • Hi

Not sure about the eSATA right now as my review unit is waiting for me in the UK, and I'm about 3500 miles away in California. Paul Thurrott's likely to have the first review out in the next week or so, so keep an eye out, and I'll be following with a WGS review in a couple of weeks (sorry - paid work comes first!)  

Terry
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 5:56 AM
  • Anybody know how noisy the mediasmart server is in operation?

I would want to site one of these in a bedroom so it would need to be quiet!

I also would like to know how well it handles video streaming, particularly HD.

Ceri

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:33 PM
  • Terry:

I think the photos of the HP machine without eSATA on back is from the prototype.  Amazon.com has in their descriptions of the two units the eSATA as a component. 

See:

for the HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live/ 64 Bit Sempron Processor, 1 TB Hard Drive) 

List Price: $885.00
    Price: $709.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
    You Save: $175.01 (20%)

Link

and

for the HP EX470 MediaSmart Home Server (AMD Live/ 64 Bit Sempron Processor, 500 GB Hard Drive)

List Price: $708.00
    Price: $569.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
    You Save: $138.01 (19%)

Link

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:35 PM
  •  

Does anyone know what hard drive is in the EX470 x 1  / EX475 x 2?  I assume it is the same, just one extra drive for the EX475. Does it make sense to pay the $150 for the additional 500 GB drive, or would it be prudent to buy drives seperately and add to the EX470? (maybe get a 1 TB drive for $150...?)

Also, I want to move a couple hundred GBs from my beta Home Server to the HP Home Server once I buy it. What would be the best (easiest) way to do this?

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 4:53 PM
  •  Ceri Edwards wrote:

Anybody know how noisy the mediasmart server is in operation?

I'm not sure about this particular unit but MS requires the sound level to be under 33dB in order to receive the WHS Logo.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Hello Bezalel. One main factor are the drives. Which manufacturer will be shipped with the HP Server as standard?

And as I know... more GB volume, more plattern, more heat and more noise.

So in facts I am meditating about planing to upgrade the HP Server using 4x 1GB drives because of the noise of the drives itself. I was testing a 750GB seagate and returned it due to the noise compared to a 320GB seagate. Are the drivebays decouppled from the chassis?

The HP Server is much to nice to position it in the basement Wink

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:54 PM
  • I laughed at the page...the copy touts the ability to spread data over multiple drives, yet the thing only comes with one drive in it.  And then Amazon is pushing "accessories" like a monitor...I guess they didn't do their research!

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:24 PM
  •  Technogeez wrote:

I laughed at the page...the copy touts the ability to spread data over multiple drives, yet the thing only comes with one drive in it.  And then Amazon is pushing "accessories" like a monitor...I guess they didn't do their research!

Actually it comes with TWO drives. From WHS point of view this is still one short of minimum for securing data in case of SYS drive failure.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 3:35 AM
  • That's "available with", not "comes with". And even with only two drives, as long as you have duplication turned on, you're safe from the failure of any single drive.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 4:44 AM
  • Im sure that HP will most likely ship the 500GB model with 2x250GB hard drives and the terabyte with 2x500GB.

These are meant to be bought and plugged in, and the consumer would be mighty upset if the first page of the manual is telling them that they must now add another hard drive to the system.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:08 AM
  • Allen, the specs for the HP MediaSmart Server EX470 are quite clear on this: there is a single 500 GB drive.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 5:18 AM
  •  It just seems really bizarre to me that they would ship a product with a single hard drive that would essentially cripple the device.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 7:44 PM
  •  

I believe Ken is correct, it is only 1 drive in the 500Gb version. The specs tell you there are 3 of the 4 bays available.

Question:

What are the software limitations given it is a 64 bit system? Is this going to cause a problem for people installing 3rd party apps on the server directly?

Thursday, November 8, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Allen:

I have pre-ordered an HP Mediasmart home server (EX470) from Amazon.com.  The EX470 comes with one 500GB drive, letting you supply more drives in the other 3 bays.  Right now Amazon.com offer the EX470 for $539.99 with a special $20 discount on top of a $40 price reduction off of the $599.99 price for this unit.  You end up paying another $150 for another 500GB drive in the EX475 which is way overpriced.

Assuming the EX470 is sufficient, since it comes with a 500GB 7200rpm primary drive, conceivably buying another 3 750GB Western Digital 7200rpm for $179 each from New Egg one could end up with an adequate WHS (with WHS operating system) with 2.75TB of strorage for under $1100.  That's not all that bad is it?  See Egghead below:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

• Average Latency: 4.2ms
    • Average Seek Time: 8.9ms
    • Average Write Time: 10.9ms
    • Cache: 16MB
    • Model #: WD7500AAKS
    • Item #: N82E16822136131
    • Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
    • Free 3 Business Day Shipping
    • Your PriceEmbarrassed179.99

Thursday, November 8, 2007 8:48 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    That's "available with", not "comes with". And even with only two drives, as long as you have duplication turned on, you're safe from the failure of any single drive.
    Thnx for the correction Ken. Like I've said before, I'm not native engish speaker and it was very late at night. Have to correct myself to, I went to Amazon site and there it siad 2 x 250GB hdd. When I go back now it says 1 x 500GB hdd, in line with HP specs. Personally I think they should not be allowed to sell it with only one HDD unit. IMHO That's really heading for disaster!

With two drives you are safe from failure from any one of them as long you as you don't care about client PC backups. They will definitely be lost if the second hdd unit (data drive) drive fails.

Looks of the HP unit are very nice though

Thursday, November 8, 2007 11:29 PM
  •  brubber wrote:
    Thnx for the correction Ken. Like I've said before, I'm not native engish speaker and it was very late at night. Have to correct myself to, I went to Amazon site and there it siad 2 x 250GB hdd. When I go back now it says 1 x 500GB hdd, in line with HP specs. Personally I think they should not be allowed to sell it with only one HDD unit. IMHO That's really heading for disaster!
    Your English is better than my Dutch. Don't apologize for minor mistakes. Smile And how many Americans come to The Netherlands and attempt to speak Dutch?

I agree that WHS should only be available with two or more drives. The whole "Protect" pillar of the WHS platform goes right out the window if you have only one drive.
     brubber wrote:

With two drives you are safe from failure from any one of them as long you as you don't care about client PC backups. They will definitely be lost if the second hdd unit (data drive) drive fails.

Backups can be stored on either drive in a two drive WHS system, so you can lose them if either drive fails. I don't think that's a big deal, because WHS backups are for disaster recovery, not user error recovery. (And yes, I know we don't agree on this. Smile )

Friday, November 9, 2007 1:48 AM
  • Ken:

If one were to purchase the EX470 HP Mediasmart Home server (with one 500GB 7200rpm drive), would it be a better deal and situation overall to buy 3 more 500GB drives or perhapse 3 750GB drives? 

With the multiple discounts presently available at Amazon.com for the EX470 as well as some pretty good deals at NewEgg the following scenarios are possible:

EX470 - $549.99 plus 3 500GB WD5000AAKS for $104.99 each = $864.96 for 2TB & WHS

verses

EX470 - $549.99 plus 3 750GB WD7500AAKS for $179.99 each = $1089.96 for 2.75TB &WHS

Has anyone tried the 5400rpm 1TB WD10EACS green drives?

If the subsequent drives run at 5400rpm and the primary drive runs at 7200rms will their be issues in the WHS?  Using this drive for the other 3 open bays the scenario would be:

EX470 - $549.99 plus 3 1TB WD10EACS for $279.99 each = $1389.96 for 3.5TB & WHS

Thanks,

boliek

Friday, November 9, 2007 7:35 PM