info requried about 70-647:Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• hi frds...
              i m very new in MCSE world. i want to do "Exam 70-647:Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator ", before this i have no certification from Microsoft, but i have cisco, juniper and other IT certifications. so can i apply for  "70-647"  directly, mean without any other windows certification. or i need to do some other certificates from miscrosoft before this, i will be very thankful to u...for the help  :)

bye n tc
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:18 AM

Answers

• Generally speaking,

You may take any Microsoft certification exam (MCP or MCTS), in any order, at any time - with out any pre-requisits. However, as far as whether or if they apply toward a specific series certification (other than MCP), it may not be of any timely benefit. Further, there is a "recommended" order for taking exams.

Premium level certifications, such as MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainer, MCA (Microsoft Certified Architect), MCM - etc) do have prerequistes. In some cases, you are not allowed to attempt the exam without being recommended for it by current certified certificate holders.

There is no secret to this information, it is plainly and convienetly available on line by searching Microsoft sites.

70-647 is an upgrade exam, it is a combination of 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643. If you are not a current holder of MCSE (server 2003) registering for or taking 70-649 is not possible without already holding an active MCSE on server 2003. Microsoft only allows the exam through one providor, Prometric, which maintains its records based on and integrated with Microsofts current registered MCP/MCTS holders. MCSE or MCSA is in fact a premium level certification. as it is acheived after a candidate passes the perscribed number and selection of required MCP exams, under server 2003. So, as simple as I can make this - you must be a current MCSE- on Server 2003, to take the 70-647 (upgrade) exam

It is "reward/shortcut" meant for those who are currently MCSE's. You could take the three standalone exams (actually a total of 5 exams are actually required to acheive MCITP), listed above, but you would still not recieve MCITP certification for the effort.

Cost information, again available on line, varies based on regions. The number of exams that you need to take would have a significant impact on the final total, therefore, this is a question that can not be authoritativly answered based on the information presented. You really need to take advantage of the resouces Microsoft provides to develop an answer based on your specific location and current certifications. However, it is possible to combine various vouchers and promotions to reduce the cost of each exam.

Good Luck!

Yes, ... that Beoweolf
    • Edited by Beoweolf Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Beoweolf Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael D. Alligood Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:46 AM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:58 PM
  • dear frd, may be i have asked my wrong question from u, i asked again kindly tell me if i want to do "Exam 70-647: Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator " what are its prerequisite. have i need to pass any other exam before this...or i just need to submit its fee and sit into the exam (for example in cisco u can not apply directly for ccnp level any paper, before doing ccna, so ccna is prerequisite for ccnp ) MS also have any condition like this.

thanks for support and help..

You can take whatever exam you want in whatever order you want.  However, understand that 70-647 ASSumes that you've taken and passed the other certifications for MCITP Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator, as the skills measured in 70-647 ASSume you understand thinks like Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, etc.  But...if you want to take 70-647 ONLY, you can do that.  But...as several have tried to communicate to you, what you learn in 70-640 (Active Directory), 70-642 (Network Infrastructure) and 70-643 (Applications Infrastructure) are all part of and tested on in 70-647. 

So...you CAN take 70-647 on its own....but you wouldn't have the underlying knowledge/skills that the other certifications/exams would provide you, and you'd potentially be setting yourself up for failure.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:28 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes, you can take the 70-647 exam without completing any prerequisites.  All you have to do is register and pay the exam fee.  But I don't know why you would.  The 70-647 exam does not confer any certifications upon passing.  In other words, if you currently have no Microsoft certifications and you pass the 70-647 exam you will still have no Microsoft certifications.  More to the point, you'll probably have a difficult time passing the exam without having first studied the material that is on the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-643 exams.

The only benefit to taking the 70-647 is if you have already fulfilled the other requirements for MCITP:Enterprise Administrator (in other words, if you have passed the other 4 exams), in which case you would have the MCITP:Enterprise Administrator certification.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:13 PM

All replies

• No you would need to take the required MS Certifications.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab3

Mark Morowczynski|MCSE 2003:Messaging, Security|MCITP:ES, SA,EA|MCTS:Windows Mobile Admin|Security+|http://almostdailytech.com
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 11:59 AM
  • If you don’t have any Microsoft Certification, and looking to do MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, you need to pass 5 exams:

Exam 70-640: TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring

Exam 70-642: TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring

Exam 70-643: TS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring

Exam 70-647: PRO: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator

Exam 70-620: TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client

Or

Exam 70-624: TS: Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan - My Blog: http://rubelkhan.wordpress.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:30 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:30 PM
  • thanks frds...for the guidelines, i dnot want to do complete MCITP, i just want to do "Exam 70-647 : PRO: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator" so can i apply for this and how much its cost. due to some job requriments and i think it cover all the main parts of windows based network...m i right.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-647&locale=en-us#tab2

Thanks for help and support... :)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:06 PM
  • A.  Visit the exam registration page to find complete instructions

Q.  How much do certification exams cost?

A. Exams typically cost US$125 but are priced according to currency values in specific countries and regions. Certification exam prices are subject to change. In some countries and regions, additional taxes may apply. Beta exams are free.

Rubel Khan - My Blog: http://rubelkhan.wordpress.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:12 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:12 PM
  • dear frd, may be i have asked my wrong question from u, i asked again kindly tell me if i want to do "Exam 70-647: Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator " what are its prerequisite. have i need to pass any other exam before this...or i just need to submit its fee and sit into the exam (for example in cisco u can not apply directly for ccnp level any paper, before doing ccna, so ccna is prerequisite for ccnp ) MS also have any condition like this.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Hello,

I am not 100% sure but I believe that you would need the other exams as a prereq to this exam, the exams that Rubel listed. This is the capstone exam for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator so with out the other exams completed this exam really doesn't mean anything. I don't even think this exam gives you a certification, ie MCTS as the other exams you. I may be wrong on this.

What exactly are you looking for by completeing this exam? Is there a certain certifaction you are trying to get?

If you are looking to get an MCTS certifaction take one of the exams Rubel listed:

70-640: TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring

70-642: TS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring

70-643: TS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring

Or any of the following to gain an MCTS status:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcts.aspx#tab2

Eric
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Wednesday, July 1, 2009 4:04 PM
  • Generally speaking,

You may take any Microsoft certification exam (MCP or MCTS), in any order, at any time - with out any pre-requisits. However, as far as whether or if they apply toward a specific series certification (other than MCP), it may not be of any timely benefit. Further, there is a "recommended" order for taking exams.

Premium level certifications, such as MCT (Microsoft Certified Trainer, MCA (Microsoft Certified Architect), MCM - etc) do have prerequistes. In some cases, you are not allowed to attempt the exam without being recommended for it by current certified certificate holders.

There is no secret to this information, it is plainly and convienetly available on line by searching Microsoft sites.

70-647 is an upgrade exam, it is a combination of 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643. If you are not a current holder of MCSE (server 2003) registering for or taking 70-649 is not possible without already holding an active MCSE on server 2003. Microsoft only allows the exam through one providor, Prometric, which maintains its records based on and integrated with Microsofts current registered MCP/MCTS holders. MCSE or MCSA is in fact a premium level certification. as it is acheived after a candidate passes the perscribed number and selection of required MCP exams, under server 2003. So, as simple as I can make this - you must be a current MCSE- on Server 2003, to take the 70-647 (upgrade) exam

It is "reward/shortcut" meant for those who are currently MCSE's. You could take the three standalone exams (actually a total of 5 exams are actually required to acheive MCITP), listed above, but you would still not recieve MCITP certification for the effort.

Cost information, again available on line, varies based on regions. The number of exams that you need to take would have a significant impact on the final total, therefore, this is a question that can not be authoritativly answered based on the information presented. You really need to take advantage of the resouces Microsoft provides to develop an answer based on your specific location and current certifications. However, it is possible to combine various vouchers and promotions to reduce the cost of each exam.

Good Luck!

Yes, ... that Beoweolf
    • Edited by Beoweolf Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Beoweolf Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael D. Alligood Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:46 AM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:58 PM

You can take whatever exam you want in whatever order you want.  However, understand that 70-647 ASSumes that you've taken and passed the other certifications for MCITP Server 2008 Enterprise Administrator, as the skills measured in 70-647 ASSume you understand thinks like Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, etc.  But...if you want to take 70-647 ONLY, you can do that.  But...as several have tried to communicate to you, what you learn in 70-640 (Active Directory), 70-642 (Network Infrastructure) and 70-643 (Applications Infrastructure) are all part of and tested on in 70-647. 

So...you CAN take 70-647 on its own....but you wouldn't have the underlying knowledge/skills that the other certifications/exams would provide you, and you'd potentially be setting yourself up for failure.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:28 AM
    Answerer
  • 70-647 is an upgrade exam, it is a combination of 70-640, 70-642 and 70-643. If you are not a current holder of MCSE (server 2003) registering for or taking 70-649 is not possible without already holding an active MCSE on server 2003. Microsoft only allows the exam through one providor, Prometric, which maintains its records based on and integrated with Microsofts current registered MCP/MCTS holders. MCSE or MCSA is in fact a premium level certification. as it is acheived after a candidate passes the perscribed number and selection of required MCP exams, under server 2003. So, as simple as I can make this - you must be a current MCSE- on Server 2003, to take the 70-647 (upgrade) exam

Yes, ... that Beoweolf

Your mistaken, 70-648 and 70-649 are the upgrade exams, 70-647 is the ITPO exam

Rob.

Certifications: MCP MCSA(2003) MCSE(NT4 2000 2003) MCSA+S(2003) MCSA+M(2003) MCSE+S(2000 2003) MCSE+M(2000 2003) MCTS 14x MCITP 2x
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Yes, you can take the 70-647 exam without completing any prerequisites.  All you have to do is register and pay the exam fee.  But I don't know why you would.  The 70-647 exam does not confer any certifications upon passing.  In other words, if you currently have no Microsoft certifications and you pass the 70-647 exam you will still have no Microsoft certifications.  More to the point, you'll probably have a difficult time passing the exam without having first studied the material that is on the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-643 exams.

The only benefit to taking the 70-647 is if you have already fulfilled the other requirements for MCITP:Enterprise Administrator (in other words, if you have passed the other 4 exams), in which case you would have the MCITP:Enterprise Administrator certification.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:13 PM