Windows 10 Anniversary update (1607) won't allow Windows Home Server 2011 connector software to install RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS 2011 for several years. On my virtual Windows 10 machine, for some reason, it's always been necessary to uninstall and reinstall the connector software (Launchpad) after each restart, but that's always fast and easy. On my physical Windows machine, the connector software has always worked flawlessly through Windows 7 and the upgrade to Windows 10 in 2015.

After the Anniversary update, the connector software will not install on either machine.  WHS 2011 is fully up to date as verified by Windows Update on the Server.

On the PCs, the installation of the connector software installer accepts the WHS password and installs almost completely, but then the green progress bar starts to go in reverse, shrinks down to nothing, and the error message pops up that the installation encountered an error, but it does not say what it is.  This happens in an identical manner on both PCs.

I've rebooted the WHS 2011 computer and both PCs several times, but the same error happens on installation of the connector software.

The Anniversary update seemed to go uneventfully on both machines. I can easily connect to the WHS from each PC via Windows Explorer, and I can connect easily to the headless WHS via Remote Desktop and open the Dashboard on WHS via the Remote Desktop connection. The server is functioning normally.

There are no Windows Server services installed on either machine, presumably because they appear only after the connector is installed.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Ron

Saturday, September 17, 2016 2:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• I found the answer to my problem in this thread https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/09a41a60-1696-4341-85f8-a1373a46082e/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-whs-connector-install?forum=whs2011&prof=required

I simply created a folder named "Windows Server" in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows and the Connector software installed without a hitch.

I DID search for an answer before posting, but the thread with the answer did not appear until I submitted my question when it showed up in Top Related Threads next to my posting.

Ron

Saturday, September 17, 2016 2:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to update the result. Your sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 19, 2016 9:15 AM
  • This really helped for connecting to the server again. But the Launchpad app from WHS will still not run! Any ideas? Thanks you!

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

@ Fritsvh

Is there any error message? Or event has been logged on the Event Viewer?

I would recommend you to post a new thread on this forum for your question, provide the detail information, such as OS version, changes before this problem happened, and error message/event. Related screenshot if possible.

And we will have a further identification on your question.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 23, 2016 8:40 AM
  • This feels like an apt time to point out again a serious shortcoming of software programmers. As the installation stopped at the point at which the installer either could not create or could not find a folder named, "Windows Server," WHY IN THE WORLD couldn't that fact be included in the message box that popped up to tell us that there was an error??? I've often opined that software engineers are idiot savants -- able to communicate with silicon but blissfully and autistically unable to communicate with humans. Here's yet another example. That thoughtless oversight cost us, cumulatively, hundreds or thousands of wasted hours of our lives.

Ron

Friday, September 23, 2016 1:45 PM
  • This worked for me, thanks for the help.

Richard

Richard

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

@ milleron 

I totally understand the inconvenience this issue has brought to you, and your current feeling about this issue. Your kind understanding is appreciated.

I will report your feedback to the Product Team, and, thank you for your suggestion. It is always welcome as it is helpful for improving the products. 

Please assure that Microsoft is always do the best to provide good products to customers and is always trying to improve these products. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, September 26, 2016 9:51 AM