Windows Home Server and WLOC RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is there plans for WLOC to work with Windows Home Server?
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:38 PM

Answers

• Nothing has been announced. I would imagine that discussions have taken place. Since OneCare for Server, being offered with SBS 2008 (64 bit), is now available, if and when WHS is updated to run on code based on Server 2008 64 bit, it would seem that OneCare might then also be available for WHS at that time. It won't run today on Server 2003 which is the basis for WHS right now.

-steve

Monday, November 3, 2008 7:32 PM

All replies

• Nothing has been announced. I would imagine that discussions have taken place. Since OneCare for Server, being offered with SBS 2008 (64 bit), is now available, if and when WHS is updated to run on code based on Server 2008 64 bit, it would seem that OneCare might then also be available for WHS at that time. It won't run today on Server 2003 which is the basis for WHS right now.

-steve

Monday, November 3, 2008 7:32 PM
  • Like others I am using WLOC for all PCs i manage ( i Love it and recomend it to every one). I just built my self a Windows Home Server and am desperate to have a version of one care for the server 2003 platform compaterble with home server. whish I new how to do all that developing stuff. I cant stand the thought of having to use somthing else.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Emma, there really is no reason to install virus protection on the server, in my opinion, and in the opinion of many others. The default settings for the server make it quite secure from outside attack. And, since you should not be executing anything from the server other than the console, any files you are moving to the box are going to be scanned by your local software on the PC. The exception, of course, would be if you allow users to upload files to the server remotely and the file is being uploaded from an infected machine. That file cannot execute on the server, though, and one would expect that it would then be scanned and blocked if you then try to access the file from within your network from a protected machine.

-steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Thanks Steve for the Update.

Saturday, November 8, 2008 2:57 PM