none
WHS Problems on HP LX-195 RRS feed

• Question

• LX195 Problems

I recently bought the HP LX195 server, mainly to be used for file sharing and computer backups on my small LAN here at home.  I have been “playing” with it for the past few weeks in order to learn its capabilities and gain some confidence before I start using and depending on it in earnest.  Last week it seemed to completely stop operating.

First I thought that I could not connect via the console.  It would often respond with the “cannot connect, try again later” message, but after numerous retries it might connect and it was just painfully slow.  It would take up to 5 minutes (and occasionally 10 to 15) for it to connect, but even then it still would not respond.

However, I found that I could read and write to the shared public folder although at about 5-6 mbps that seemed slow.  Also, apparently, the backups for the computers on my local network were done as scheduled, but as I cannot connect to the console to check, I cannot be sure (the icons on the desktop task bar were green).

When I have connected, instead of the “normal” screen, it displayed a desktop screen (from the Advanced Admin Console add-in).  When I click on the WHS Console icon it will get to the “normal” screen, but can take from 15-30 minutes.  Several times I was able to get to the performance monitor which showed the processor pegged at 100%.  Every time I was able to check over 2 or 3 days it was pegged at 100%.  I was not able to get to the task manager to see which application(s) was/were keeping the processor so busy.

I could not get to the shutdown command via the console, so I tried several reboots (by momentarily pressing the power button on the back of the LX195).  This didn’t help, as when it came back up, it still exhibited the same s-l-o-w performance and the performance monitor still showed the processor pegged at 100%.

This started last Wednesday (1/16) when the WHS downloaded two updates: (1) a security update, and (2) the current Malicious Software Remover.  Today (Saturday, 1/16), I did another power button reboot and, it appears, that the server is working much better.  It now only takes 5-10 seconds to connect via the console.  Commands are a bit slow (seconds) but it seems to be doing everything it is supposed to be doing.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  Does anyone know what might have been going on for those 2-3 days?  Where in what log file might I be able to find out?

I have a few “new user” questions about its operation, but I will ask them in another post.  If this server works the way I think it is supposed to, I think I will really like it.  However, if it tends to occasionally get “constipated” like this, I doubt that I will be able to depend on it.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:43 AM

Answers

• LX195 Problems

I recently bought the HP LX195 server, mainly to be used for file sharing and computer backups on my small LAN here at home.  I have been “playing” with it for the past few weeks in order to learn its capabilities and gain some confidence before I start using and depending on it in earnest.  Last week it seemed to completely stop operating.

First I thought that I could not connect via the console.  It would often respond with the “cannot connect, try again later” message, but after numerous retries it might connect and it was just painfully slow.  It would take up to 5 minutes (and occasionally 10 to 15) for it to connect, but even then it still would not respond.

However, I found that I could read and write to the shared public folder although at about 5-6 mbps that seemed slow.  Also, apparently, the backups for the computers on my local network were done as scheduled, but as I cannot connect to the console to check, I cannot be sure (the icons on the desktop task bar were green).

When I have connected, instead of the “normal” screen, it displayed a desktop screen (from the Advanced Admin Console add-in).  When I click on the WHS Console icon it will get to the “normal” screen, but can take from 15-30 minutes.  Several times I was able to get to the performance monitor which showed the processor pegged at 100%.  Every time I was able to check over 2 or 3 days it was pegged at 100%.  I was not able to get to the task manager to see which application(s) was/were keeping the processor so busy.

I could not get to the shutdown command via the console, so I tried several reboots (by momentarily pressing the power button on the back of the LX195).  This didn’t help, as when it came back up, it still exhibited the same s-l-o-w performance and the performance monitor still showed the processor pegged at 100%.

This started last Wednesday (1/16) when the WHS downloaded two updates: (1) a security update, and (2) the current Malicious Software Remover.  Today (Saturday, 1/16), I did another power button reboot and, it appears, that the server is working much better.  It now only takes 5-10 seconds to connect via the console.  Commands are a bit slow (seconds) but it seems to be doing everything it is supposed to be doing.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  Does anyone know what might have been going on for those 2-3 days?  Where in what log file might I be able to find out?

I have a few “new user” questions about its operation, but I will ask them in another post.  If this server works the way I think it is supposed to, I think I will really like it.  However, if it tends to occasionally get “constipated” like this, I doubt that I will be able to depend on it.
    Although I use a self-built server (not an OEM one), one possibility is if it recently installed Power Pack 3 (which includes Windows Search 4.0).  Once installed, it re-indexes every file on your server.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Thanks. When I initially fired up the LX-195, it installed a lot of updates even before I put any files on it.  PP3 was one of the updates that it installed.  It was running just fine for a few weeks before this problem.  Would it really take 2 - 3 days to re-index and balance everything.

If you had lots and lots and lots of files, I would guess it's possible.  I can tell you that my re-index only took about 30 minutes (but I don't have that many files on it either as my files are almost all videos plus my self-built server is more powerful than the OEM models).  The only way to know for sure would be to look at Task Manager while it's happening, but if you can't get it to open, you're kind of stuck.

I haven't connected any extra disks yet.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:53 PM

All replies

• LX195 Problems

Although I use a self-built server (not an OEM one), one possibility is if it recently installed Power Pack 3 (which includes Windows Search 4.0).  Once installed, it re-indexes every file on your server.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:02 AM
  • Although I use a self-built server (not an OEM one), one possibility is if it recently installed Power Pack 3 (which includes Windows Search 4.0).  Once installed, it re-indexes every file on your server.
    Thanks. When I initially fired up the LX-195, it installed a lot of updates even before I put any files on it.  PP3 was one of the updates that it installed.  It was running just fine for a few weeks before this problem.  Would it really take 2 - 3 days to re-index and balance everything.  I haven't connected any extra disks yet.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Thanks. When I initially fired up the LX-195, it installed a lot of updates even before I put any files on it.  PP3 was one of the updates that it installed.  It was running just fine for a few weeks before this problem.  Would it really take 2 - 3 days to re-index and balance everything.

If you had lots and lots and lots of files, I would guess it's possible.  I can tell you that my re-index only took about 30 minutes (but I don't have that many files on it either as my files are almost all videos plus my self-built server is more powerful than the OEM models).  The only way to know for sure would be to look at Task Manager while it's happening, but if you can't get it to open, you're kind of stuck.

I haven't connected any extra disks yet.

Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:53 PM