Overview suitable 2TB drives for WHS v1? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Forum, I'm looking for a new 2TB drive for my WHS (v1) since it is running out of storage space. It is currently using 2 x WD10AECS 1TB drives which work fine, although I sometimes need to 'repair' the system drive as the WHS-Connecter reports a storage problem. Not sure if this is related to the specific drive. I do not intend to replace the system drive since that seems a complex operation.

Question: which low power 2TB drives could be used /would be recommended?

I've been browsing several posts on the topic and got confused about my initial choice to go for the Samsung Spinpoint F4EG HD204UI 2TB. I would appreciate (a pointer to) a summary/conclusion on 2TB low power drive selection.

My WHS v1: PP3 running on an MSI MS-7418, 1.6 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, 2 drive bays.

Thanks in advance, W.

Monday, January 10, 2011 11:19 PM

All replies

• I just thought I should give it a try with the Samsung Spinpoint F4EG HD204UI 2TB to replace the existing Western Digital WD10AECS 1TB in order to get more storage space.

No problem (as far as I can see).

Steps:

• This is *not* about replacing the drive with the WHS system partition on it! 
    • I have used the normal WHS Connector software for this procedure
    • Note: during the process, which takes a lot of time, many of the WHS functions are not available
    • Note: my WHS hardware only has two SATA connectors, if there was a one more, the process would be more simple
    • You will probably first need to create enough free space on the WHS to remove the drive you want to replace
      - disable folder duplication for some less important folders
      - delete backs up you do no need any more
      - let the WHS run for a day or so since with all these changes it will take a while before the storage management dust has settled
    • Since I still did not have enough free space, I added temporary external USB storage
      - note: any existing files on these external USB drives will be deleted
      - connect the drives to the WHS
      - "add" these external drives to the WHS storage pool
    • Assuming there is now enough free disk space to remove the drive you want to replace, tell WHS to "remove" this drive
    • This will also take considerable time, just come back the next day
    • Once the disk is "removed" from the storage pool, shut down the WHS
    • Physically remove the drive and physically install the new one
      (PS: make sure you know which physical drive it should be)
    • Boot up the WHS again
    • Now "remove" the temporary USB external drives from the storage pool one by one; this also takes a lot of time, come back the next day
    • Physically disconnect the USB drives from the WHS

I noted that the first time one of the PC's in my home network wanted to make a backup, it took very long as the WHS used a lot of time updating the backup database. Just wait.

Regards, W.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Wytze

I've been running WHS since it was released with a mixture if Green 1TB Drives and some Hitachi 2TB Drives.   I've done a lot of reading on the topic and there seems to be a lot of questions on if Green Drives are the way to go.   I've concluded that if you are using WHS for backups and file storage, Green Drives are great but of you are doing any serious media streaming or moving data in the TB range than its best to go with non green faster drives.   I have 4 1TB Green Drives that are close to end of life, in fact because I was having some performance issues I pulled one from the drive pool and HD tests said it was now bad.   I'm replacing my green 1TB Drives with Hitachi  2TB Drives and the performance is great.  Just my two cents worth.

WHS_retail version
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Maximus,

Thanks for your update. So far, my WHS is doing fine with the new 2TB green drive, the Connector does not report any storage issues. Is my WHS now (too) slow? I would not know. If there is an easy way to test HDD performance in the WHS, let me know. I could share any results. Please note that the original drives (as well as the remaining one) are also branded 'green' (and hence not a speed-king). Also note that I actually preferred 'green' drives, my whole WHS is 'low power' on purpose.

W. 

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:33 PM
  • I've got six 2TB WD greens in the storage pool.  Zero issues with a mix of EADS and EARS.  System drives are WD black 640GB set-up on a RAID card as RAID 1.  I would not use a green for the system drive.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:04 AM
  • I`m running a couple of WD20EARS drives without any issues. 

If you go with this drive make sure that you jumper pins 7 & 8 as per the notice that comes with the drive.  WHS does not support 4k sector drives.

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:16 PM
  • I`m running a couple of WD20EARS drives without any issues. 

If you go with this drive make sure that you jumper pins 7 & 8 as per the notice that comes with the drive.  WHS does not support 4k sector drives.

Hello,

First WD20EARS installed with success on my WHS v1, after jumper 7-8 setting and idle time set to 300sec (max) by WDIDLE3 DOS utility

3 more WD20EARS commanded..

Jean-Max
    Friday, June 10, 2011 1:47 PM