none
Upgrading motherboard and CPU RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking at replacing my aging Athlon XP 1700+ and ASUS A7V motherboard with a brand-spankin-new Gigabyte IP35/ABit AB9-Pro motherboard and Q6600 CPU.

What would be involved in upgrading the server - ideally I'd like to avoid the pain of a complete reinstall. Is it possible to install the new motherboard + CPU and then boot from that (unlikely I know)?

Alternatively, is it possible to install WHS from scratch and re-add my 3 500gig WD HDDs to the pool without having to reformat them? I am really reluctant to do the manual copy one HDD at a time, format, add to the pool, repeat like I had to do for the RC1->OEM installation because I have a suspicion that it was during this copying process when half of my files became corrupted.

Any advice appreciated.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:35 AM

Answers

• There is no chance the new MB and CPU will boot from the old installation; the HAL is completely different on the two platforms.

You should be able to swap the MB/CPU and do a server reinstallation, however. Make sure that your current system drive comes up as the first drive on the new MB, and you should be okay. If you don't get a reinstallation option, don't proceed; you'll lose all your files if you do.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:14 PM

All replies

• There is no chance the new MB and CPU will boot from the old installation; the HAL is completely different on the two platforms.

You should be able to swap the MB/CPU and do a server reinstallation, however. Make sure that your current system drive comes up as the first drive on the new MB, and you should be okay. If you don't get a reinstallation option, don't proceed; you'll lose all your files if you do.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:14 PM
  • Cheers for that Ken, I'll see how I go - at least a server reinstallation will be far less painful.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:04 PM
  • I have a similar problem, I have a new motherboard, processor etc to install and I also have my new shiny OEM copy of WHS, now my question is do I upgrade to the OEM version then swap the hardware? Or, swap the hardware, do a reinstallation of the RC1 software and then upgrade to OEM?

Maintaining the data integrity is the most important.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:06 AM
  • I think I prefer to go with option number 2.

• Update hardware
    • Reconnect HDD in the same order, system drive being primary (most important)
    • Configure BIOS to make sure, system drive is primary
    • Fire up WHS and see what happens
    • If “Server re-install” option becomes available then go straight to OEM version, no need to re-install RC1 and then upgrade to OEM
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:55 AM
  •  DevRag wrote:

I think I prefer to go with option number 2.

• Update hardware
    • Reconnect HDD in the same order, system drive being primary (most important)
    • Configure BIOS to make sure, system drive is primary
    • Fire up WHS and see what happens
    • If “Server re-install” option becomes available then go straight to OEM version, no need to re-install RC1 and then upgrade to OEM

That's what I did in the end, it takes a long long time to complete the last stage, black mark against the WHS team for not giving an onscreen message about what's happening, I had read on this forum about it taking a long time to complete this stage but any retail customers who have to do a re-install will be wondering what caused their server to crash at the final hurdle when it actually hasn't.
    All seems ok but I'll check data etc tonight. Fingers crossed for a complete and good install, one little issue is my main system drive has twice shown up as having errors, I need to research how I upgrade the system disk now.

Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 8:27 AM