rename project and project site in Project 2010 (PWA and/or client) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a test server with PWA 2010 installed. I have a project with an associated project web site. I also have a Project Pro 2010 client. I would like to rename the project and its associated web site url. How do I do that in PWA 2010 and/or Project Pro client 2010? Is that a dangerous idea? Could renaming the project site disassociate it with the project, or is the site really referenced in the project with a GUID? I guess this is a series of questions, but they're all closely related.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:53 AM

Answers

• To rename project, there are 2 ways

1. Open Project Pro in connected Mode >> click File menu >> Open >> Retrieve the List of all projects from project server >> once you get all the projects list in the same dialog box >> right click the project you want to rename >> select rename >> provide new name and press enter , you will get a notification that your rename job has been submitted to server >> after a while(once the rename processing has been done) when you do a file >> open >> Retrieve the List of all projects from project server >> you will see your project has been renamed  

2. Just out of curiosity i thought of checking the project Rename tool released fro project server 2007 and as anticiupated since project server 2010 supports PSI, it worked perfectly fine so you can use this tool to rename your projects : http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/PS2007Rename

by using STSADM command tool you can port all things including Content / Security / Settings :) For reference : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261956(office.12).aspx Though in 2010 the same can be done using powershell, but power shell being backward compatible it supports all stsadm commands

Hope this helps 

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by epmXperts Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:51 AM
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Hi Animit

Does your worksite contains too much of content ? Since you mentioned its a test server, hence assuming data might not be much of an issue, hence the simplest solution would be to do a File Save AS with the new name and publish it and while publishing it will create a new worksite, then you can go and delete the old one

But in other scenario when you have content on workspace you cannot simply delete project / workspace, in that case there are multiple ways to do it, One of them is - disassociate the workspace from project >>rename the project >> create new workspace with desired name >> attach / re- associate it >> use STSADM command to port data from old PWA to new PWA >> once done delete old pwa

Hope this helps  

• Edited by epmXperts Friday, February 18, 2011 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by animit Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:40 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

If no content exists on the site, doing a Save As might not always work (in case you restricted your task updates to PWA), I recommend using a different solution:

• Delete the site from PWA -> Project Sites
    • Rename the project
    • Save and publish the project and let Project Server create a new site

If your site has content, there is not need to recreate the site using stsadm. You can simply change the URL. Here is how

• Open the project site and go to Site Settings.
    • Go to Title, Description, and Icon
    • On this page, you can change the URL
    • Go to PWA -> Project Site
    • Change the Site Address to the new address and make sure to resynchronize the site with the project
    • You can rename the project before or after this procedure. It doesn't matter.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Proposed as answer by Ray Chapa Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by animit Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:39 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Animit

Does your worksite contains too much of content ? Since you mentioned its a test server, hence assuming data might not be much of an issue, hence the simplest solution would be to do a File Save AS with the new name and publish it and while publishing it will create a new worksite, then you can go and delete the old one

But in other scenario when you have content on workspace you cannot simply delete project / workspace, in that case there are multiple ways to do it, One of them is - disassociate the workspace from project >>rename the project >> create new workspace with desired name >> attach / re- associate it >> use STSADM command to port data from old PWA to new PWA >> once done delete old pwa

Hope this helps  

• Edited by epmXperts Friday, February 18, 2011 9:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by animit Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:40 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

If no content exists on the site, doing a Save As might not always work (in case you restricted your task updates to PWA), I recommend using a different solution:

• Rename the project

If your site has content, there is not need to recreate the site using stsadm. You can simply change the URL. Here is how

• Change the Site Address to the new address and make sure to resynchronize the site with the project

I hope this helps,
    Hans

• Proposed as answer by Ray Chapa Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by animit Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:39 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Thanks for the response, Sunil. I should have been more accurate. It's not a test server for a production environment. It exists for experimentation and self-education. I downloaded it with my TechNet subscription. That means, although the data isn't absolutely critical, I do want to find the least destructive way to solve the problem. I want to learn the "right" way. Your second answer is better for me. Since I'm still learning Project Server, I have two follow-up questions. How do I rename the project in PWA 2010? I didn't see any obvious way. Second, will STSADM port the settings as well as all data, documents, etc from the old project site to the new one?
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Hans. As I explained to Sunil, I am doing this for self-education, so I want to learn the least destructive way to solve the problem. I want to preserve the project and project site. 

Your second solution is better for me. I especially like not having to attempt to move all site content and settings through PowerShell. I need some clarification on those instructions.

You said, "Go to PWA -> Project Site." Can you elaborate on that step? Where in PWA? If I select the project and click "Project Site," the browser displays the project site. Of course, that's where it was in the previous step, so I don't think that's what you really mean. How exactly do I navigate to a form where I can change the URL for a project's site?

Second, I still haven't found a place to rename a project in PWA 2010. I'm sure it's simple, and I'm sure I overlooked it, but I don't see it. How do I navigate to a form where I can change the project's name?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:06 AM
  • To rename project, there are 2 ways

1. Open Project Pro in connected Mode >> click File menu >> Open >> Retrieve the List of all projects from project server >> once you get all the projects list in the same dialog box >> right click the project you want to rename >> select rename >> provide new name and press enter , you will get a notification that your rename job has been submitted to server >> after a while(once the rename processing has been done) when you do a file >> open >> Retrieve the List of all projects from project server >> you will see your project has been renamed  

2. Just out of curiosity i thought of checking the project Rename tool released fro project server 2007 and as anticiupated since project server 2010 supports PSI, it worked perfectly fine so you can use this tool to rename your projects : http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/PS2007Rename

by using STSADM command tool you can port all things including Content / Security / Settings :) For reference : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261956(office.12).aspx Though in 2010 the same can be done using powershell, but power shell being backward compatible it supports all stsadm commands

Hope this helps 

• Marked as answer by epmXperts Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:51 AM
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Hi animit,

The Project Sites page can be found by going to Project Web App -> Server Settings and under the header Operational Policies, you can find Project Sites.

The easiest way to rename a project is from within Project Pro in the File -> Open dialog box as Sunil has explained.

Regards,
    Hans

Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:42 AM
  • Sunil, thank you for all the help!
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Hans, thank you for all the help!
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:43 PM
  • I used your URL change and project rename solution. The first minor issue I've noticed is with project deliverables. All the deliverables in the "manage deliverables" sidebar in the client app displayed an error. It was, "The values for this deliverable differ from those on the server." Then, it proceeds to list the contradictory URL paths. I was able to resolve each one by right-clicking each deliverable and selecting "accept changes from server". After doing that, I was able to update deliverables in the client an see the changes on the project site. (I listed this issue in order to help anyone who might look at this thread in the future.) I don't have any dependencies, so I don't know how it might affect those. Otherwise, everything seems to be working fine!
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 4:14 PM
  • The project name didn't change in Project Center in PWA. It seems to have changed everywhere else, but how do I change it there for consistency?
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:58 AM
  • Never mind. I published and checked in the project in PWA, and now the new name is displayed in Project Center. I'm not sure which part of the process caused the update, but the name is now up to date. Please disregard the previous message.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:26 AM
  • This question has already been answered, and the problems were already solved. The other posts detail that. Are you asking for a more detailed description of my problem because you're trying to solve your own? If it's very similar to the problem I had, then add your problem to this discussion. Otherwise, you should probably start your own thread.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 4:07 PM
  • @animit

Check the HTML Warren's reply, you will see a hidden SEO link for a web site that has nothing to do with this question.

I am going to report this user for spam. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Saturday, May 7, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Hi,

• Rename the project

I hope this helps,
    Hans

I tried to follow your steps Hans...but it seems that with my testplan i still loose my site connected to my plan.

So i did :

- File -> Open -> Right mouse, rename project plan

- Go to Project site -> Select Site -> Site Settings -> Rename URL to new name

- But when going again to Project Site and try to change site adress to new adress with synchro nothing happens

- When checking the queue it stated that Project Site Create failed

I have the feeling that i miss some steps or do something wrong.

Could you please provide me with the exact steps to change plan name and site name with keeping all data intact...! This would be very very helpfull for me...!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Hello dear people...

I just wanted to share with you the exact steps i have written down for my admins to change a Project Plan name without the loss of the content :

1 - MS Project 2010 :

-          Select : File -> Open -> Retrieve from Server

-          Select : Right click your Project Plan -> Rename

-          Change : Give correct naming convention to Project Plan (XXXX_YYYY_ZZ) -> Enter -> OK

-          Select : Cancel to close the window to let name synchronisation happen

-          Note : Give the server about 10 seconds to synchronize !

-          Select : File -> Open -> Retrieve from Server -> Select Project Plan with new name -> Open -> Publish

-          Select : File -> Close -> Discard Changes / Check In

2 - PWA :

-          Select : Server Settings -> Project Sites

-          Select : Project Plan with new name / Old Site Adress name (line turns blue)

-          Select : Go To Project Site Settings

-          Select : Title, description, and icon

-          Change : Title into new Project Plan name

-          Change : URL name into new Project Plan name

-          Select : OK

-          Confirm name change (Site URL / Mobile Site URL) under Site Information of the current window

-          Select : Navigate Up -> Project Web Application

-          Select : Server Settings -> Project Sites

-          Select : Project Plan with new name / Old Site Adress name (line turns blue)

-          Select : Edit Site Adress

-          Change Site URL with new name of Project Plan

-          Select OK

3 - MS Project 2010 :

-          Select : File -> Open -> Retrieve from Server -> Select Project Plan with new name -> Open

-          Select : Manage Deliverables -> Accept all Server Changes

-          Select : Publish

-          Select : File -> Close -> Discard changes / Check In

Kind regards, Roderick van Erp / SKU EP @ ASML

Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hello,

I have noticed that the propogation of this name change is OK through draft, published and reporting database.

But if you are using a pivot table connected to OLAP, build before the change of name, and if your are able to refresh properly the Project name in the Project list properly please ping me

Regards Arnaoud

Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Thank you for the detailed instructions.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Assuming you have created EPT's and a workflow in PWA, I suggest the following without a need to use Project Professional: 1. Begin by going to Project Center. 2. Select the project. 3. Go to the project site in a new tab. 4. In Project Center, click on the name of the project. Then click on the PDP with the Project Name, Start Date, Owner. Select Edit in the upper left corner. In the Name field enter the new project name, save, close and check-in. 5. In the Project Site select Site Actions in the upper left corner of the page, then Site settings, Title, description and icon under the Look and Feel heading. 6. In the next page enter the new title in the Title; and URL name: text areas. Then Click OK. 7. Check the URL to ensure that it works. Enter the new title into the URL name replacing the old one. Copy the new name to the clipboard. 8. Go to Server Settings. Select Project Sites under the Operational Policies. Highlight the project which has been renamed. (It will be listed under the new project name) Select Edit Site Address at the top of the list of projects and associated Sites. 9. Paste the new project name just after PWA/ in the Site URL box. Test the URL to ensure it is working. Click OK.
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:12 PM