SyncToy 2.1 "FileTime" failure on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just started using SyncToy with the release of V2.1 (have not used previous versions).

OS = Windows 7.
    Sync locations = Hard Drive of local PC to NAS device.
    SyncToy Action = Synchronise

On creating folder pairings and running SyncToy for the 1st time, no problems, run completed with no errors.

When re-running the operation 2nd time and beyond, the operation fails on one of the 8 pairs I have set-up, all others run OK.

Failure Message:

Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.

Parameter name: fileTime

If I follow this up by excluding the left folder at which the failure appears to occur, the same error is returned at the corresponding right hand folder. If I then exclude the right folder; on re-running SyncToy the same failure results, but appears to occur on a folder that had previously completed successfully.

Excluding these folder pairs simply results in the same failure at an apparently earlier point in the sync.

The directory in question contains 20,339 Files and 723 Folders.

The failure point is not deeply nested, top or second level folders, containing a small number of files; first point of failure held 2 scanned JPEG images (<1MB each) and a PDF (40kB).

Log Extract:

SYNC: 12/07/2009 23:18:29:863: Started scanning directory : D:\Documents\
    SYNC: 12/07/2009 23:18:29:863: Started scanning directory : P:\Study-Documents\
    SYNC: 12/07/2009 23:18:40:299: Stopped scanning directory : D:\Documents\
    SYNC: 12/07/2009 23:18:45:151: Stopped scanning directory : P:\Study-Documents\
    SYNC: 12/07/2009 23:18:45:728: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
       at System.DateTime.FromFileTimeUtc(Int64 fileTime)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileData.FileTimeToDateTime(FILETIME fileTime)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.FileSyncProviderCallback.OnApplyingChange(String newDirectoryPath, String currentDirectoryPath, _WIN32_FIND_DATAW newFileInfo, _WIN32_FIND_DATAW currentFileInfo, FILESYNC_CHANGE_TYPE dwChangeType)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, ChangeDataAdapter callbackChangeDataAdapter, SyncDataConverter conflictDataConverter, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncDataConverter sourceConverter, SyncDataConverter destinationConverter, SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 12/07/2009 23:18:45:728: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.

Same failure occurs when running from the command line.

All other folder pairs currently complete with no failure.
    • Edited by Racey Monday, December 7, 2009 11:41 PM Missing info.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Racey,

this is most likely due to the corrupted file attributes. you can use file explorer to fix the attribute and then re-sync.

thanks
    Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Yunwen Bai Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Monday, December 14, 2009 11:58 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Racey,

this is most likely due to the corrupted file attributes. you can use file explorer to fix the attribute and then re-sync.

thanks
    Yunwen

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Yunwen Bai Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yunwen Bai Monday, December 14, 2009 11:58 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:30 PM
  • I still had this problem with SyncToy 2.1 on several of my files.  The problem is trying to find which files out of my 355,000 files has an invalid time.  So I wrote a utility that will list the offending files and optionally change the invalid file times to the current time.

You can use it http://www.isdigital.com/FindInvalidFileTime.zip

Although I can assure you there is nothing intentionally malicious in the program, you use it at your own risk as I haven't tested it extensively, only on my own computer.

Cheers and good luck!

• Proposed as answer by Nigel M Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:41 PM
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hey ISDigital,

I have tried your little progam but it is not doing anything.

SyncToy 2.1 is still having the Win32 FileTime ERROR

Friday, April 1, 2011 11:33 AM
  • It works for me, thank you very much.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Thank you very much for the utility (and for keeping it available for so long - I encourage you to keep on making it available). It would have taken me ages to track down all the invalid FileTime entries on my system, as there were about 30 of them. You saved me having to write my own utility.
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 7:21 PM
  • I still had this problem with SyncToy 2.1 on several of my files.  The problem is trying to find which files out of my 355,000 files has an invalid time.  So I wrote a utility that will list the offending files and optionally change the invalid file times to the current time.

You can use it http://www.isdigital.com/FindInvalidFileTime.zip

Although I can assure you there is nothing intentionally malicious in the program, you use it at your own risk as I haven't tested it extensively, only on my own computer.

Cheers and good luck!

Brilliant! For what it is worth, the files were all from the backup of my TomTom (GRRR!)

-- Nigel M

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Brilliant. Thank you for doing the job that SyncToy should be doing. In my case they were all recently added files that were pictures from an Ipod. Your utility found them all and repaired them quickly.
    Thanks again.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:29 AM
  • ISDigital..... All I can say is thanks. It works perfect.
    Sunday, September 9, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Thank you so much ISDigital for the utility you uploaded, wouldn't have known what to do if I didn't stumble across this thread. Much appreciated!!!
    Monday, January 28, 2013 6:41 PM
  • FileTime ERROR is due to the corrupted file attributes.

As a solution: You can use "BulkFileChanger" from Nirsoft to replace/modify/add attributes from files, where time or attributes are corrupted.

Search into google: "nirsoft BulkFileChanger" or visit: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bulkfilechanger.zip

To locate the damaged files, search into the last folder scanned from Synctoy (both origin or destination - look at program taskbar).

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 12:32 AM