Changing OEM SLP Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lonovo computer with windows 7 ultiate preinstalled. The product key is different from the one on the COA sticker on the bottom. I was wondering, if i were to change my OEM SLP key from the official lenovo one to Dell's OEM SLP key, what would happen to my Genuine and/or activation status. Just by changing the key with the slmgr.vbs /ipk command followed by the Dell OEM SLP key.(slmgr.vbs /ipk is just a command that enables the user to change their product key) I the lenovo oem certificate would still be the same just me changeing the key.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hello dgranta,

First off, that would break the OEM End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) because OEM software (which includes the keys that comes with OEM software) are only allowed to run on the first computer they are installed on.   Since the Dell key would have come from a Dell PC, it is only licensed to run on that Dell PC.

As to what would happen to your Windows, it may or may not accept the Dell key.  If the key is accepted, at the next reboot your Windows would not self-activate because the key (being a Dell key) does not fit with the Specal Instuction (also called the OEM Bios Flag) on the Lenovo's motherboard bios. After a non-activation grace period, your Windows would eventually Validate as Non-Genuine.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:45 PM

All replies

• The product key used to install Windows 7 at the factory is a master key used by Lenovo with their Windows 7 factory image.  Do not change it!  The product key affixed to your computer signifies that a genuine Microsoft Windows 7 operating system was installed.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:21 PM
  • I am trying to find out what would happen to my computers activation status as well as its genuine status. I want to know what will happen if i change the product key to a dell OEM SLP key.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Are you a member of the "it ain't broke so I'm gonna fix it" club?
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, February 1, 2010 12:06 AM
  • No im not. I am just wanting to know this for curiosity.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Hello dgranata,

No harm in experimenting.

Just be sure to have all of your data, docs, and settings backed up before you begin....;-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Hi dgranata,

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) windows looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)  COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

The COA SLP key is a backup to the OEM SLP key.  The only difference if you change to the COA SLP key is that you would be required to Activate by Phone.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, February 1, 2010 8:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by EndSecure Monday, February 1, 2010 10:42 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:38 PM
  • That is not what I am asking. I will state again, What will happen to my lenovo's Genuine and activation status if I replace its key(OEM SLP) with dell's OEM SLP key? Thus, not touching the Lenovo OEM Certificate, just changing the OEM SLP key.

Monday, February 1, 2010 10:44 PM
  • Hello dgranta,

First off, that would break the OEM End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) because OEM software (which includes the keys that comes with OEM software) are only allowed to run on the first computer they are installed on.   Since the Dell key would have come from a Dell PC, it is only licensed to run on that Dell PC.

As to what would happen to your Windows, it may or may not accept the Dell key.  If the key is accepted, at the next reboot your Windows would not self-activate because the key (being a Dell key) does not fit with the Specal Instuction (also called the OEM Bios Flag) on the Lenovo's motherboard bios. After a non-activation grace period, your Windows would eventually Validate as Non-Genuine.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:45 PM
  • hi Darin, since you're MS Contigent Staff, pls i will like your opinion on my thread...VISTA HOME BASIC ACTIVATION FAILED http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/960ecced-3b73-4f9e-930f-c127f593c8b4 

thanks

Koolbrainz
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:18 AM
  • @Koolbrainz

You are replying to a year and a half old thread.  Please start your own thread with the Ask a Question link at the top of the page.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:45 PM
    Answerer
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:928cb333-3bbf-4b1e-a33a-2f2d4939c7fd...

@Koolbrainz

You are replying to a year and a half old thread.  Please start your own thread with the Ask a Question link at the top of the page.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

No point, Colin - he already did, in the Vista forum, as was correct.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:57 PM