No DVD available for Install RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to install Home Server without a DVD Player?  I have an old PowerEdge Server from work that only has a CD-ROM in it and I'd like to use it to install Home Server.  I tried connecting up an external DVD player via USB and I can use it to access the DVD once I've booted up on the current O/S installed, but I am unable to get it to recognize the DVD during the boot process.  It has the most current Bios version installed and I looked at the Bios to try and determine if I could select the USB device as part of the Boot order and did not see that option.

I'm hoping I don't have to purchase an internal DVD player just to install Home Server. 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:31 AM

Answers

• Is it possible to install Home Server without a DVD Player?  I have an old PowerEdge Server from work that only has a CD-ROM in it and I'd like to use it to install Home Server.  I tried connecting up an external DVD player via USB and I can use it to access the DVD once I've booted up on the current O/S installed, but I am unable to get it to recognize the DVD during the boot process.  It has the most current Bios version installed and I looked at the Bios to try and determine if I could select the USB device as part of the Boot order and did not see that option.

I'm hoping I don't have to purchase an internal DVD player just to install Home Server. 

Although unsupported, I believe it's possible (although definitely not easy) to install from a USB flash drive.  However, since you apparently don't have that option, you will need a DVD drive.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Sounds like your BIOS must not allow any booting from USB devices, unless there is an option for legacy USB storage detection in the BIOS (you might want to double check that). Unfortunately a lot of retail packaged systems don't receive the same longevity and attention from a BIOS update standpoint compared to boxed motherboards from some of the better manufacturers. (I've run into problems like that with Gateway systems from as recent as a few years ago)

Fortunately, if you do decide to go the route of purchasing a DVD drive for the server, you can find a relatively inexpensive one from an e-tailer such as NewEgg or Tiger Direct. Typically they have both SATA and IDE DVD drives in the neighborhood of $25-30 on the low end; i've used several of these and they have all been great.

Your BIOS may allow booting from a network drive as an option, but if you don't already know how to do that, it would definitely be a less painful option to go the DVD route.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:18 AM
  • Can't you simply replace the CD-ROM drive with a DVD-ROM drive? It will cost you about $20 for a cheap internal IDE drive, or less than $40 for a slim drive...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:48 PM

All replies

Although unsupported, I believe it's possible (although definitely not easy) to install from a USB flash drive.  However, since you apparently don't have that option, you will need a DVD drive.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Sounds like your BIOS must not allow any booting from USB devices, unless there is an option for legacy USB storage detection in the BIOS (you might want to double check that). Unfortunately a lot of retail packaged systems don't receive the same longevity and attention from a BIOS update standpoint compared to boxed motherboards from some of the better manufacturers. (I've run into problems like that with Gateway systems from as recent as a few years ago)

Fortunately, if you do decide to go the route of purchasing a DVD drive for the server, you can find a relatively inexpensive one from an e-tailer such as NewEgg or Tiger Direct. Typically they have both SATA and IDE DVD drives in the neighborhood of $25-30 on the low end; i've used several of these and they have all been great.

Your BIOS may allow booting from a network drive as an option, but if you don't already know how to do that, it would definitely be a less painful option to go the DVD route.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:18 AM
  • Can't you simply replace the CD-ROM drive with a DVD-ROM drive? It will cost you about $20 for a cheap internal IDE drive, or less than $40 for a slim drive...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:48 PM