Install Should Fail More Gracefully RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would assume this will be addressed in future builds, but the installation should fail more gracefully.

I removed the install DVD from the drive before the install finished completely because my system was having trouble rebooting with the disc in the drive.  When it restarted and got to the "Installing WinFX" part it just stopped and displayed an error that setup had failed.  I was then forced to start the entire process over again.

Normally when Windows installations can't find a file, it asks for the disc or allows you to browse for the file.  WHS setup should do the same thing rather than quit abruptly and force you to start over.  If it had asked for the disc I could have inserted it and kept going.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:42 AM

All replies

• The end products I've heard about are all appliances running WHS as opposed to WHS being shipped as software to be installed on an existing machine.

My preference would be for development work to focus on the product and not on an installer that may not be seen by most if not all of the users of the end product.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:54 AM
  • AFAIK there are supposed to be 2 versions of the product, one as you describe, pre-installed and the other sold as software only that you install on your own hardware.

Granted most people who would choose to install themselves will be knowledgeable, but it just seems like the install should be able to fail gracefully, like all other MS installs do.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 11:49 PM
  • I think you're wrong. WHS isn't going to be shipped as an "install on your own kit" product, it's just being provided in that manner for the beta to allow a wide range of people to test the functionality. If WHS was going to be shipped as an installable software package the beta would have shipped with more drivers in the same way Vistas beta did.

WHS is designed for installing on appliances by OEMs, Windows Server 2003 is the install on your own kit solution.

Friday, March 9, 2007 6:34 AM
  • There will be a retail OEM version released for "enthusiasts" to enjoy instead of  shelling out the big bucks for a pre-built system.  Unless microsoft retracts that statement however.  And I agree whole heartedly. the installer should have more error trapping in it to allow you to resume an installation instead of aborting it.  I've spent numerous hours waiting for it to re partition and re format the same drive over and over again because of a bad DVD here or a misplaced jumper there....
    Friday, March 9, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Can you point me at the quote you have regarding a retail OEM version for enthusiats.

Everything I've seen has said it'll be OEM only which means only the guys making the devices get it, The document at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/ces/docs/WHSFS.doc appears to back this up by listing the availability relating to OEM products only.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:17 AM
  • Nick, please go watch Charlie Kindel's Channel9 interview, where he talks about distribution channels. Also see the recent interview on On10 with Joel Sider. Since we are still months away from RTM, marketing plans may change, but right now Microsoft appears to intend that WHS will be available in a standalone "bring your own box" configuration for enthusiasts.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 1:58 PM
  •  Gigabit Nick wrote:
    Can you point me at the quote you have regarding a retail OEM version for enthusiats

From page 7 of the Reviewer's Guide document that came with the download package:

The plan is to make the final release of Windows Home Server available to customers in two forms:

·      A tightly integrated hardware/software solution sold by numerous companies through retail stores and web-based e-commerce stores.

·      A software only version that can be installed and configured by System Builders  or technical enthusiasts to build specific solutions with Windows Home Server.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Exactly pd48. Now, Nick, you're being a naughty boy — you're supposed to RTFM

I certainly hope they don't change their minds because I always prefer to "roll my own".

Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:34 AM
  • I did the same thing, except I thought it was finished when I saw that Server 2K3 was done. I re-installed without removing the DVD and it finished OK. Personally, I think there should be a statement at the beginning, and possibly after every reboot, "do not remove the DVD until you're told it's OK", and then have an OK statement at the very end.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:37 AM
  •  pd48 wrote:

I would assume this will be addressed in future builds, but the installation should fail more gracefully.

I removed the install DVD from the drive before the install finished completely because my system was having trouble rebooting with the disc in the drive.  When it restarted and got to the "Installing WinFX" part it just stopped and displayed an error that setup had failed.  I was then forced to start the entire process over again.

The same thing happened to me after I switched CDs in response to "driver not found" messages.  I don't see why setup can't just ask for the proper CD when it doesn't find what it needs.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Windows XP Media Center Edition was "OEM only", too.  Yet you could find copies of it at various whitebox shops.  I imagine WHS will be the same way.  To start, it will be only big OEMs that make equipment who get it, then smaller whiteboxes will start selling it on equipment, and therefore also just the software.  ("With qualifying hardware purchase", of course.)
    Monday, April 2, 2007 5:35 AM
  • My install failed at the winfx point as well.

I had removed the install DVD and put in one with device drivers.

When I put the install one back and rebooted the installation continued and finished properly.

So, is it best to let the install complain re devices and finish.

Then put in driver CD and install them (I was using a new Dell system so all I did was run the Dell driver install program)

One of the devices that did not install was the  network card.

It might be a good idea to have a very big warning about this. Somebody who did not realize it could be quite surprised when nothing worked when they took away the monitor and keyboard and the server could not connect to anything.

Friday, April 6, 2007 4:07 AM