What is the difference between *.msi installation and a. project compilation, b. msi generation, c. own msi installation? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the difference between

• *.msi installation and 
    • a. project compilation, b. msi generation, c. own msi installation?

Is it just guide for msi creation from sourse code?

Or it is smth more. F.e. this step is required for Zentity installation.

p.s. I ask this question because I have some error pages after attentive installation.

• Edited by ItSurfer Friday, October 28, 2011 9:52 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers

• Downloading the client and the server setup files from the website and compiling and generating the MSIs at local machine give same setup files for the client and server.

Downloading and installing from the Zentity website is recommended. It provides hassle free installation and eliminates the necessity to build the MSIs at the local by each user. Building an msi is a bit more complex task which is not supposed to involve end users.

The admin (or may be Trust) related issues you might be getting for 2 reasons.

1)      After downloading the zip files unblock it to mark it safe on your machine. To unblock right click the file -> properties -> uncheck the bottom check box in the general tab.

2)      Second might be UAC, check your login account has admin rights or not. If your login account has admin rights you can start program as “run as administrator” to escape these errors.

Zentity default installation comes with no data. You can run the ZentityDataImport from this folder C:\Program Files\Zentity\Samples\ZentityDataImport\ZentityDataImport\bin\Release to import data to the Zentity Data base.

You can also import your custom data to Zentity. Getting started guide has explanation on how to create custom entities and importing it to Zentity.

All Zentity related queries are welcome here.

Regards,
    MSR Support Team

• Marked as answer by ItSurfer Monday, October 31, 2011 11:20 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 1:24 PM

All replies

• You can download the Zentity Onboarding guide from http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/301a9647-1559-42dc-b8e5-96c9b3c6442e/default.aspx. It has necessary instructions to build the Zentity source code in Visual Studio and and to generate the msi.

Also, For the first query-

*.msi installation -> There are many format of "setup programs" for Windows platform. *.msi format is a popular format provided by microsoft. So when you install aprogram which uses .msi format, its can be called msi installaion.

project compilation -> Converting source code into machine readable format is called compilation. So compiling a project is converting all source code under it into machine readable format.

. msi generation -> Generating a setup program of .msi format is called msi genaration.

-Regards

Kindly mark it (and the previous thread) as an answer if it answers your query. Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Kalnemi Friday, October 28, 2011 11:23 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 11:23 AM
  • I mean this idea. Could installing [Client and Server msi from website] lead to some errors in comparison to [local msi] compilation.

Because [local msi] is built from solution which includes external libraries. Can this be a reason of errors?

I ask for help because there is smth wrong with my project. I installed msi from website. F.e. when I go to ProgramFiles\Zentity\WebUI I see administrator error. But when I run WebUI project it's ok no errors. Why it works in such way? I don't know.

And final question. Should there be some schoolDB example after installation. I see only the schema of data but there is no data, so I get errors when I try to enter pivot or get relational picture. So is the installation DBExample is the next step after Zentity installation or I made smth wrong?

I want to run Zentity in proper way that's why I ask so many questions. I want get its all features work.

Thank you so much for your help.

• Edited by ItSurfer Friday, October 28, 2011 12:16 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Downloading the client and the server setup files from the website and compiling and generating the MSIs at local machine give same setup files for the client and server.

Downloading and installing from the Zentity website is recommended. It provides hassle free installation and eliminates the necessity to build the MSIs at the local by each user. Building an msi is a bit more complex task which is not supposed to involve end users.

The admin (or may be Trust) related issues you might be getting for 2 reasons.

1)      After downloading the zip files unblock it to mark it safe on your machine. To unblock right click the file -> properties -> uncheck the bottom check box in the general tab.

2)      Second might be UAC, check your login account has admin rights or not. If your login account has admin rights you can start program as “run as administrator” to escape these errors.

Zentity default installation comes with no data. You can run the ZentityDataImport from this folder C:\Program Files\Zentity\Samples\ZentityDataImport\ZentityDataImport\bin\Release to import data to the Zentity Data base.

You can also import your custom data to Zentity. Getting started guide has explanation on how to create custom entities and importing it to Zentity.

All Zentity related queries are welcome here.

Regards,
    MSR Support Team

• Marked as answer by ItSurfer Monday, October 31, 2011 11:20 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 1:24 PM