none
Do I really not have a genuine Wn XP Pro, then? RRS feed

• Question

• The sticky label sports a Microsoft 4 colour flac with a TM South East of that.  Under that it says "Designed for"; there's a line drawn under that; next line: Microsoft (R), Windows (R) XP.  It's 1.5cm high and 1 cm wide.

You cannot vote on your own post

I am in Nairobi Kenya.  I went through the recommended replies and did not find an answer for my problem because MSSE was working and the suddenly, even after help from MS to resolve an issue  - bang, I have a counterfeit, according to it.

I bought this Campus notebook , from FONEXPRESS, a well-known company with branches all over.  It has GENUINE WINDOWS.  The proof that it is genuine is that I installed MSSE on it and had no problems for two years.  I had a problem with updating MSSE and a man called Jay at MS walked me through and resolved the problem in 2010.  Suddenly a few weeks ago, before I went on safari the counterfeit pop up came up.  I am now suffering problems, esp as this is actually a computer we dedicated to my mother who is 80 yrs old. 

Now the computer had recently gone for repair (to fix a broken socket for the plug from the adaptor from the mains) and (a) they claimed that the ram had been burnt out (so I replaced it) and (b) I got the pop up when I got home and on the internet.  PLEASE ADVISE ASAP - VIRUS are on attack.

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:45 PM

Answers

• 12:53 AM 7/28/2012 Yes, I checked thoroughly for the COA sticker but I'll ask my friend to look again shortly as I have a slight vision disability especially at night. So I take it I should be looking for signs that the COA sticker may have been removed. Can't find the MSDOS.SYS and boot.ini files. Your advice is very useful to me. I will check on the system for dates. Does that mean that if he replaced Windows with a fake one he would have had to take all my documents out and then put them back? I did not get a sense of that but they could have done it quite neatly. Make and model are not recognised. I bought it because they said that it had been assembled in Rwanda (:-} and I wanted to support African industry. After two years the keyboard stopped responding. Same repairman said it was 'gone'. I would need to use an external keyboard, which is what I am doing, right now. I checked with the dealer but the dealer said (to my assistant who has since left me and been found to be dishonest) that the manufacturer is not responding to them. Apparently he has closed shop. The make and model are: Campus 10.2" Netbook by Campus Ltd. and I can't get on his website www.campusnotebooks.com. I suppose one would call the machine a shop-built one. I have ticked 'show hidden files' and 'display the contents of system folders' and am checking for dates... I did not find the files in C:/ . I found Documents and Settings, GMJ Apps (which I downloaded personally), Intel, MS0Cache (hidden), Program Files, WINDOWS, RHDSetup (text doc). Am now doing a search for MSDOS.SYS from there... nothing. I am looking in the hidden Cache folder... Some numbered files. I looked in WINDOWS but I don't know where to start. Yikes - $NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$ -March 2010 ... $NtUninstallKB923561$-July 13 2012 - that was when things went wrong and there are 130 odd similar files here which have modified apparently an equal no. of KB files, whatever they are for. There are about 200 KB files there. I have to retire but I'll look for MSDOS.SYS again tomorrow. Is it supposed to be in the root directory? Then obviously it is still hidden from me.
    • Marked as answer by Kilulu Friday, July 27, 2012 10:41 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 10:39 PM

All replies

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Hello, Noel:

Many thanks for your response.  I did not see a COA sticker on the case of the machine.  I am afraid to open the battery pack while it's on.  I am going to switch off the machine and then look in the battery pack area.  What does 'COA' stand for and can I find this somewhere else, perhaps?  I have done a 'copy' and here is the the paste from the tool you referred me to, in anticipation of your further assistance.  I am very grateful for your time:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2WFBW-Y42XW-9WDKY
    Windows Product Key Hash: NPuBAxB/FQRNVyFxbxRQxYjf+Eg=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-4312605-23290
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {22F37FB2-32A7-4C34-80F5-3088EDCF9B82}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 103 Blocked VLK
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{22F37FB2-32A7-4C34-80F5-3088EDCF9B82}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-9WDKY</PKey><PID>55274-640-4312605-23290</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1659004503-1897051121-527237240</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>080015 </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20090629000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>951337970184C065</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Africa Standard Time(GMT+03:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Campus Ltd.</name><model>GL-1020</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>103</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>103</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>ACD7202654E586</Val><Hash>fFic3JgCreGGRxyF8uMWB4R4Jcg=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-1528066-65128</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="103"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="103"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 13BF4:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:38 PM
  • The installation of Windows XP Pro is counterfeit - it's using a Volume License Key.

Since the machine appears to have been manufactured in 2009 using an unbranded motherboard, I would be VERY surprised if it had a genuine XP license COA sticker on it.

The installation of Office is similarly counterfeit.

If you follow the HowToTell link in my earlier post, you'll see examples of COA stickers.

If you can't find the COA sticker, then the machine isn't licensed to run Windows unless you separately purchased Windows at some point, and you will have to buy a new license. The major problem is likely to be that XP is no longer sold, and anywhere still selling it is more than likely to be selling counterfeits such as yours. If your machine has 1GB of RAM or more, then you could probably upgrade to Windows7 - run the Upgrade Advisor to check.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:53 PM
  • That was quick!

So the dealer will pretty much tell me to get lost, d'you think, if I take the machine back to him at least to reinstall a genuine windows?  Would you permit me to take a copy of our conversation to them?  I think I might have to sue them because they sold me such a goat's trotter here.

Question:  How come MSSE worked for so long, so well, until I got the machine repaired by those other fellas?  Has there been a new policy instituted by Microsoft recently, to get the counterfeits tagged?

Would you mind giving me a little more advice?  If no it's ok but let me just vent anyway:

(a) I had bought a Windows XP CD I think around 2006 from a dealer in  Mombasa. I have misplaced the KEY but I was working with Microsoft to get a new key and may, indeed, get one.  I understand that they will not support it after 2015 or thereabouts.  It will still be useful for me and I was wondering whether it would be worth pursuing to get the CD verified and using it on another machine.  I am not quite ready to be able to afford buying another Windows, yet.

(b) I wanted to verify something about that repair job.   The machine was working fine (including the update of MSSE) until the female socket for the power supply came out with the male pin of the plug that comes in from the adaptor from the mains.  It had been weakening and not giving a good connection so I was manipulating the plug to restore a connection.  Finally it broke.  I took it to the repair man.  He charged me an arm and leg to fix it (he replaced it with a new socket).  Now, when he connected the computer he got a DARK SCREEN - no light.  He asked me whether something else had been wrong with the computer before I had brought it and I was taken aback.  He then said he had no way of verifying whether I had brought him a computer that had been working or not.  I protested saying it was working.  When he did a diagnosis he found the RAM had burned out.  He suspected, he said, that this could have happened when the socket burnt out.

I am suspecting that something went wrong in the repair shop but the clever fellows forced me to pay for a new RAM (I needed my data) and said that it was most likely that the ram had gone when the socket had gone.  What may have happened was that the battery had run out and the computer switched off while I was working on it, after the socket broke, forcing me now to take it to the repairman.  Is there really a relationship between the RAM and the power supply socket and could it have shorted without my noticing? 

Sorry for such a long-winded tale.

I look forward to hearing from you again.  Meanwhile, I'll now talk to the dealer about this counterfeit.  I will be getting a new computer, too, soon and I'll make sure that I check on the genuineness of the software.

Kilulu

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Have you checked thoroughly for a COA sticker?

There's a good chance that the repair shop is at fault if there's any signs of the sticker present.

I think what's more likely is that he had to justify the high cost of the repair without admitting that he replaced the motherboard (possibly because he ruined it in the first place) and thereby invalidated any OEM License that may have applied.

On many machines, a motherboard replacement is SOP for broken power sockets - it allows quick return of the machine but allows the tech the time to repair the old one properly (if they can be bothered and are able) at leisure.

Does the machine have a recognised make and model, or is it a shop-built one?

If the repair shop did replace the motherboard, the chances are that they would have had to reinstall XP, unless they had an identical one to hand.... If you open Windows Explorer, and set it so it can see Hidden Files and System Files (Tools, Folder Options, View), what dates are the following files in the C:\ root directory?

MSDOS.SYS

boot.ini

What is the earliest date for a folder in the C:\Windows folder?

These dates will give a clue as to whether a reinstall was done.

Yes, by all means pursue the replacement with MS if it's already onging.

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:45 PM
  • 12:53 AM 7/28/2012 Yes, I checked thoroughly for the COA sticker but I'll ask my friend to look again shortly as I have a slight vision disability especially at night. So I take it I should be looking for signs that the COA sticker may have been removed. Can't find the MSDOS.SYS and boot.ini files. Your advice is very useful to me. I will check on the system for dates. Does that mean that if he replaced Windows with a fake one he would have had to take all my documents out and then put them back? I did not get a sense of that but they could have done it quite neatly. Make and model are not recognised. I bought it because they said that it had been assembled in Rwanda (:-} and I wanted to support African industry. After two years the keyboard stopped responding. Same repairman said it was 'gone'. I would need to use an external keyboard, which is what I am doing, right now. I checked with the dealer but the dealer said (to my assistant who has since left me and been found to be dishonest) that the manufacturer is not responding to them. Apparently he has closed shop. The make and model are: Campus 10.2" Netbook by Campus Ltd. and I can't get on his website www.campusnotebooks.com. I suppose one would call the machine a shop-built one. I have ticked 'show hidden files' and 'display the contents of system folders' and am checking for dates... I did not find the files in C:/ . I found Documents and Settings, GMJ Apps (which I downloaded personally), Intel, MS0Cache (hidden), Program Files, WINDOWS, RHDSetup (text doc). Am now doing a search for MSDOS.SYS from there... nothing. I am looking in the hidden Cache folder... Some numbered files. I looked in WINDOWS but I don't know where to start. Yikes - $NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$ -March 2010 ... $NtUninstallKB923561$-July 13 2012 - that was when things went wrong and there are 130 odd similar files here which have modified apparently an equal no. of KB files, whatever they are for. There are about 200 KB files there. I have to retire but I'll look for MSDOS.SYS again tomorrow. Is it supposed to be in the root directory? Then obviously it is still hidden from me.
    • Marked as answer by Kilulu Friday, July 27, 2012 10:41 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 10:39 PM
  • The $NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$ file is dated for the date when the Service Pack was installed - I'm not sure whether the file is over-written if a repair installation is done and updated, but I would expect it to be.

That being the case, then your system hasn't been reinstalled at least since then (March 2010), so it's not the repair shop's  fault.

As to why it was OK for so long, and then failed, it may be MSE that removed the hack that hid the status from the OS, or it may be a Key that was only recently Blocked after revocation for some reason - either the Key owner decided they no longer needed it, or it was found to have been abused (i.e. sold/leaked t third parties such as yourself). All Keys revoked for any reason are blocked permanently so they can never be used again.

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Dear Noel,

Sell a key to a third party like myself?  Would you clarify that?

Since you aver that my Win XP Pro is a counterfeit and the dealer perhaps let the validity of the key lapse, let's say, then suddenly this would have been recognised during the Advantage and or Virus updates.  I understand that much.

But I realise I don't have the technical depth to go beyond that - for example to ask what the repairman might have done further to trigger this.  So anyway, please advise me what to do, now, the next time I buy a machine. 

Meanwhile I'll make a claim against the dealer against the categorical assurance you gave me, above, that this is a counterfeit (please confirm this).

On a new machine should I do a diagnosis like the one you recommended for this machine before I pay for it and get it certified by someone like you, so that if something happens later I have some sort of proof that I paid full price for a genuine one ? 

I suppose for this fake copy I will have to find an alternative solution in the meanwhile, and I would be grateful for recommendations about what to do.  For, if it is Windows 7 for each machine that I should be licensed for, and I can afford to get only one, then I'd rather get one with a new machine.  Or perhaps get one that is not loaded with software and buy from the Microsoft agent in Kenya direct.  But, honestly, after this experience, I am thinking of going Mac or looking for an alternative OS.

If I might add a qualification to the splendid service the likes of you are offering on the internet:  Are you not helping people effectively purchase more MS goods even after indirectly MS failed to ensure that what customers paid was not lost.  I feel the approach that Microsoft is taking to protecting their Intellectual Property lacks a vast array of standards that actually open the company to charges of misleading the public about the power of its products and systems to free mankind, 90% of which species are living in tight and depressing conditions.  It can easily be found to be doing the opposite, binding us to itself, and, in a sense, I for one, through this experience feel that it is easy to be enslaved, and that is something they should urgently address because it leaves a very bitter taste.  It is causing a lot of people unnecessary suffering and indignity, to have to engage with such a giant and be forced to follow so many rigours at the cost of so much time which, ultimately is time and money being dedicated and invested anyway to service the same giant and similar ones just in order to survive. 

I'll say no more about that except:  Really, what a lop-sided state of affairs, where, if one wants to move forward honestly, in a world where most of the takings have been made by dishonesty and corruption one is forced to spend most of one's time in repairing one's house from being sabotaged entirely, as it were, after building it with what one thought were good materials paid for with honest money.  And, in the meanwhile the rich and dishonest (and various combinations of these classes) are spending it in leisure and conceiving of leading us, their servants, to a better world and a better future.  This 'order' of things seems primitive in comparison with man' current level of intelligence and ethical awareness: It is the responsibility of the giant companies and it does not enjoy my confidence.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.  Why are we humans content with such mediocrity in conceiving of this planet where we are all living together?  The foundations of this system, at least to me, are devoid of quality and the problems can only get worse.  It betrays complacency, shortcuts, cover-ups and carelessness somewhere in that 'order'.  What do you feel as someone who appears to be working for them free of charge?

I am sorry to say this to the person who stepped forward to help me but that is how I feel.

I wish I had time to build the argument that my Win XP Pro is not a counterfeit, simply because it has MS's brand on it and they did not take care to ensure that they came up with all these self-protections and protections in the name of their customers before because the access to the products of ITC is an indispensable human right today.  If that is true, then what right do they have to act deliberately in a manner that ruins my days and weeks using sophisticated tools to limit my use like this and force me to search for remedies hours on end and, thereby, intrude upon the life and privacy of my home like this through my computer?.  But, of course, this is not the place to go further because it is too serious an issue for most of us to have time to consider.

If you are not offended (I am just thinking out loud and no offence whatsoever is meant by my logic here) then I'll take whatever other help you offer me, anyway.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:28 AM
  • To end on a better note let me reply to your Latin up there:

Felix potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

(Happy is the man who understands the reasons of things.  It is from Vergil's Georgics.)

Saturday, July 28, 2012 9:32 AM
  • I 'aver' nothing.

The report itself proves that your current install is counterfeit - if you choose to ignore that, it's your problem, and not mine.

I have simply attempted to explain how such a state of affairs came about

Let me put this as simply as I can....

1) the Product Key in use is one for a Volume License Key

2) That Volume License Key has been blocked by Microsoft for cause - most likely because the Key was discovered to have been fraudulently used.

3) Your only realistic remedy at this point, given that you appear to have no proof of ownership of any valid Windows License is to purchase a new valid license.

4) what you choose to do is up to you - it has absolutely no effect on me.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Noel,

Thanks for your reply and the clarification.  It's perfic.  It should be enough to get a replacement from the dealer or the tech - whoever is responsible.  But, still, I will learn more about other OSs, write about this experience and make some politically unsalutary remarks about Microsoft (and I am glad to hear that that will not affect you).

All the best,

Kilulu

Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Dear Noel

Thank you for your support.

They did not return the computer with genuine windows xp.  I need proof of that, if possible.  Can you help me?

I tried to download that file MGADiag.exe and it now says, '... is not a valid Win32 application'.

What can I do next?

Now the battery of this computer has also been compromised while it was in repair, so nothing gets saved if the power goes off (no sleep mode) so I may be contacting you from another machine to resolve the situation.  But firstly, how come the program does not work on this machine anymore?  Please give me the steps I should follow. 

My ultimate task is to save whatever documents I can from this machine and send it back with a complaint/ a lawyer's letter/ demand note.

Sincerely,

Mohamed Jiwa

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:18 AM
  • The 'is not a valid Win32 application' can be the result of a number of errors.

The mos tocmmon solution is to type

regsvr32 /i SHELL32.DLL

into the Start>Run box, and click on OK.

Here's the instructions for MGADiag again.....

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:34 AM
  • I ran "regsvr32 /i SHELL32.DLL" and it says, 'has succeeded'.

I tried to run the program MGADiag and it failed again.

I am losing track of what you wanted me to do.  Was it to run that shell32, first and then try this one again?

My battery compartment has no information.  There is no information elsewhere.  The dealer's rep is not answering my question about genuine windows.  However they promised me and it shows, a genuine windows when I bought the machine.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:27 AM
  • Looking at the website, I have grave doubts that the install was ever truly genuine - MS hasn't sold XP licenses for end-users since 2009, but the site still claims to be offering machines with XP pre-installed.

Do other executables run properly?

If you go to Start > Run and type

Explorer.exe

what happpens? ( a Windows Explorer window should open)

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Which website were you looking at?

Yes, I ran the Explorer.exe and it opened My Documents in explorer mode.

When I do a search for "*.doc" or "*.txt" or "*xls" all the documents show up.  Programs seem to be working ok (I downloaded and executed Chrome and Mozilla this evening.

Suddenly I can run diagnostics - how strange

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:25 PM
  • www.campusnotebooks.com.

(sorry for the delay - I wasn't anywhere near my own PC yesterday)

Please check your HOSTS file

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

open it in Notepad - is there anything in there other than the lines that begin with a # symbol?

Friday, November 9, 2012 10:32 AM