CRM 2011 Text Field Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to have something like a ghost text in a text field? I don't know the proper term for it, but basically in my text field I would like to have the format of the date like mm/dd/yyyy. When the user goes to type it, it will automatically go away, then reappear if the text field is empty

Thanks

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:41 PM

Answers

• TeaYou,

What you are looking for is called a watermark. This is not available OOB in CRM configuration but here is a sample of how you can get that.

HTH

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Marked as answer by TeaYou Monday, November 18, 2013 2:07 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2013 9:06 PM

All replies

• TeaYou,

What you are looking for is called a watermark. This is not available OOB in CRM configuration but here is a sample of how you can get that.

HTH

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Marked as answer by TeaYou Monday, November 18, 2013 2:07 PM
  • I had spent some time trying to find something like this as well. The best I could come across was modifying the tooltip that pops up over the field. You can create a webresource using jscript and onload event with something like this. It will pop up as a tooltip when your mouse hovers over the field.

document.getElementById("name").setAttribute("title", "School District, State, Products Requesting");

• Hi,

If you are mainly focused on only showing the watermark then link provided by Mamata is good enough, however looking from future perspective, Microsoft is more focused on the tool-tips moving ahead with CRM 2013.

You may also have look at showing the tool-tip as soon as user tries to focus on the field and on losefocus you can hide the tool-tip.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9b5bd5c2-c951-4a26-96d9-db2370ca2c6f/crm-custom-tooltips?forum=crmdevelopment

or 

http://extremecrm.net/2013/08/14/custom-dynamics-crm-2011-tooltips/

I hope you would like to have the format visible while user is typing in the date.

Thanks & Regards,

Anubhav Bajpai

Monday, November 18, 2013 1:53 PM