Problem with controller card drivers. RRS feed

• Question

• In the PC I would like to try WHS on I use a SATA controller card for the hard drive. At first I just added the driver to the DVD (With an ISO editor) and loaded the drivers from the DVD, Well doing this got me though the install up to the restart and after it restarts it goes into what looks like XP install, Blue screen grey bar at the bottom etc etc but then after about a minuet of this it says something like the drivers such and such (Which is for the controller) Is corrupt or missing.

I have also tried just putting the drivers on a portable HDD and loading them via that with the same results.

It looks like there are BIOS and driver updates for the card which I could try but it should work regardless. I should also note I have had this setup working fine with windows server 2003.

Any ideas as to how I might be able to get this working?
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:14 PM

Answers

• Try without the USB drive and just the floppy and see if that gets you past the F6 without errors. Also, make sure you have the newest BIOS and Win2k3 drivers. *shrug*

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:20 AM
  • It's not a "problem," it's the way setup works. If the installation media doesn't include a driver for some storage controller (and there are lots that it probably doesn't include), then you have to supply it on floppy. OEMs (and system builders that are actually delivering systems to clients) will slipstream drivers into the installation media if needed, and the software will be preinstalled, so the end user won't see anything. Enthusiasts installing "one off" will need to supply drivers using the normal installation mechanism. The same is true with other Microsoft operating systems: Windows Server 2003, XP, etc.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:19 PM

All replies

• Did you try the procedure described in the Release Documenation?

Adding Storage Controller Drivers

If you install Windows Home Server on your own computer hardware, you may need to manually install the storage-controller drivers during Setup. The procedure to install these drivers is located in the Getting Started guide. This procedure has been updated. Use the following procedure if you need to manually install storage controller drivers:

To manually install a storage-controller driver

1.   Find the driver files for your storage controller. These files are provided by the hardware manufacturer, and they might also be available on the manufacturer's Web site.

2.   Copy the driver files and txtsetup.oem to a floppy disk or a USB flash drive.

a.   If you use a floppy disk, copy the driver files and txtsetup.oem from the hardware manufacturer to A:\.

b.   If you use a USB flash drive, first create a folder on the flash drive and copy the driver files and txtsetup.oem from the hardware manufacturer to the folder.

3.   Connect the floppy drive or USB flash drive to your home server computer and boot the computer from the Windows Home Server DVD.

4.   At the Windows Home Server Setup Error dialog, click Yes to load the additional storage drivers.

5.   On the Please select your driver's INF file dialog box, navigate to the INF file on your floppy disk or USB flash drive, select it, and then click Open. The driver loads.

6.   Setup now continues normally. Leave the floppy drive or USB flash drive connected until Setup completes.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:20 PM
  • That's bacicly what I did with the portable HDD.

EDIT: I just noticed that it says leave it connected until setup completes. When I tried using the portable HDD it told me to remove it..
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Ok here's the whole message,

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Home Server 2003 for Small Business Server Setup

The manufacturer provided file that setup is trying
     to use is corrupt or invalid.

Illegal or missing file types specified in section
    Files.SCSI.Si3112_XP.

Setup cannot continue. to quit setup, press F3

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So I guess its just loading the drivers in the initial setup but not copying / installing them?
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:56 PM
  • You have to install the drivers twice, once in the WHS setup, then you have to hit F6 during the win2k3 install too.

Good luck...

Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:05 PM
  • Only problem with that is I don't have a floppy drive.. Which is the only way to load them. Guess it might be time to get one..
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:34 PM
  • It may be possible to slipstream the driver into the iso and reburn but I haven't tried that yet. *shrug*
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:25 PM
  • Ok well I borrowed a floppy drive first time I just put the drivers on it tried it and setup says it couldn't find the driver at $OEM$/Driver.sys so I went and made a folder named $OEM$ and put the driver files there and now if i press F6 at the beginning when supposed to I can see it loads them in the status bar but then it gives me the same error message as before (the one I said above).
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:33 AM
  • Odd. Do you also have a USB drive installed when you install? I've never ran into that error.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:49 AM
  • Well when I was loading the driver for the first time I was loading them from a portable hard drive but the setup told me to remove it earlier in the setup, I believe it was just before when you select your country, So I removed it after that so no USB drives of any sort where plugged in during the install portion.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 1:56 AM
  • Try without the USB drive and just the floppy and see if that gets you past the F6 without errors. Also, make sure you have the newest BIOS and Win2k3 drivers. *shrug*

Friday, June 22, 2007 2:20 AM
  • OK I think it may work this time, I have gotten further then any previous try. I loaded the drivers from just the floppy drive for the first portion of the setup then for the second pressed F6 just as I had many times before but this time it said something to the effect of you specified to load additional drivers press S to specify enter to continue so I presses S to specify and it had two options XP and NT drivers so I chose and every thing since has gone fine.

Its kinda weird because before If I pushed F6 it wouldn't ask to press S to specify whatever driver and so on but I could see it load them in the status bar and if i didnt press F6 I wouldn't see it loading them, Or maybe I just didn't notice. All well looks like it will finally install!!!

EDIT: Well its installed and working!!!!
    • Proposed as answer by AndrewCaldwell Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:06 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2007 3:46 AM
  • F6 is your friend. Wink

Glad you got it going...
    Friday, June 22, 2007 8:14 AM
  • So there is no way to fix this problem with out a floppy drive? Who seriously has floppy drives anymore Sad
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:54 AM
  • It's not a "problem," it's the way setup works. If the installation media doesn't include a driver for some storage controller (and there are lots that it probably doesn't include), then you have to supply it on floppy. OEMs (and system builders that are actually delivering systems to clients) will slipstream drivers into the installation media if needed, and the software will be preinstalled, so the end user won't see anything. Enthusiasts installing "one off" will need to supply drivers using the normal installation mechanism. The same is true with other Microsoft operating systems: Windows Server 2003, XP, etc.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Sorry, let me rephrase then: The problem is that the setup accepts my driver in the first stage via cd/usb, but in the second stage ("dos" stage) it complains about corrupt drivers. According to this post, the problem is that I'm not using a floppy. I gave up on installing to SATA and just put it on a spare PATA drive i found.
    Thanks.
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:32 PM
  • Yes, you have to use a floppy during text-mode setup. Supposedly, if you put your drivers on a USB flash drive and have it plugged in when you boot, you can read the drivers from there. But I've not had any luck getting that to work. I have a floppy drive in a drawer that I install just for moments like that. Smile
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

I'm really glad I stumbled across this post, because I've had exactly the same problem with my Windows Home Server install.

I also initially tried with the driver CD, and then with a USB drive, both of which gave me the same error listed here.

Only after reading this, digging out a floppy drive and a blank floppy did I get it work. And then, I didn't even need to intervene at all during the second part of the set up (as I kept the floppy in for the whole process).

I guess there's some problem with the drivers for the Si3112 drivers, but I get really annoyed about how munch the Windows set up process relies on Floppy drives.

For XP it was already a bit crazy that you couldn't load the files on to a CD and use that (rather than the cumbersome slip-stream process), but for a relatively new OS like WHS (even though it is based on Server 2003) to not be able to proceed without a floppy drive seems rather insane.

It wouldn't have been so bad if from the start the set-up said to use a floppy. it claims that it can use a USB or CD, and then fails miserably and does not tell the user why.

A bit more polish would of been nice MS. Just a bit.

Just wanted a rant a bit there, but otherwise thanks for this thread.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:06 PM
  • AndrewCaldwell said:

Hi,

I'm really glad I stumbled across this post, because I've had exactly the same problem with my Windows Home Server install.

I also initially tried with the driver CD, and then with a USB drive, both of which gave me the same error listed here.

Only after reading this, digging out a floppy drive and a blank floppy did I get it work. And then, I didn't even need to intervene at all during the second part of the set up (as I kept the floppy in for the whole process).

I guess there's some problem with the drivers for the Si3112 drivers, but I get really annoyed about how munch the Windows set up process relies on Floppy drives.

For XP it was already a bit crazy that you couldn't load the files on to a CD and use that (rather than the cumbersome slip-stream process), but for a relatively new OS like WHS (even though it is based on Server 2003) to not be able to proceed without a floppy drive seems rather insane.

That's just it.  It's not a new OS (at least not entirely).  The core OS is 5 years old.  All of the WHS bits are written on top of a sealed 2003 image that the WHS team cannot change.

AndrewCaldwell said:

It wouldn't have been so bad if from the start the set-up said to use a floppy. it claims that it can use a USB or CD, and then fails miserably and does not tell the user why.

A bit more polish would of been nice MS. Just a bit.

Just wanted a rant a bit there, but otherwise thanks for this thread.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:19 PM