Can volume licenses (MAK type) be transferred to another computer RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm going to be upgrading my computer bit by bit, starting with a new motherboard. It's currently using Windows 7 Pro with a "Volume MAK" license (according to mgadiag tool), that I obtained through the MSDN academic alliance program. It's an HP computer, so it originally came with some lesser version of windows (I can't remember which) that was undoubtedly using an OEM license. I used the Windows Anytime Upgrade to obtain the additional features of Windows 7 Pro. I know OEM licenses are locked to the motherboard, but haven't been able to find out any details about volume licenses, just that it varies by the license program.

    So, will this license survive through upgrading the motherboard, processor, and video card? Is the some way I can de-activate this copy of windows before installing the new motherboard?

    Thanks in advance.


    Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:10 AM