Server Reinstallation doesn't appear RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I just recieved an OEM version of WHS and wanted to use the key for it...but alas, I was prompted with errors trying to use the key.  Doing some searching, brought me to this thread which instructed me to reinstall the OS.
    Well, I'm here because I didn't get the Server Reinstallation option...just New Installation.

I have two 320GB (WD3200BEKT) drives on Sata 0 and 1 and a couple 2TB (WD20EADS) drives on Sata 3 and 4.  The OS is on the Sata 0 drive.
    I'm running the system on a GA-MA790GPT-UD3H motherboard.

I have about 2 days left of my trial key with WHS to get this figured out.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:30 PM

Answers

• Yes, I saw all 4 drives...no extra drivers required.

After thinking about it, I bit the bullet and rebuilt from scratch.  Since I had just started putting data on in the past couple weeks and not anything in BD yet, I had enough space to hold all the data on half the drive space.

I first ended up taking one of each drive out of the system...in hope that the installation would give me the option then.  Of course, I didn't get the Server Reinstallation option, so I then disconnected the two drives that were still active and rebuilt the system from the two I originally took out.  It took me pretty much all evening to rebuild the data...

I'm might try and put the DVD in today sometime to see if I would now get the Reinstallation option...I would hope that I would be able to get it now.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:04 PM

All replies

• Well, I just recieved an OEM version of WHS and wanted to use the key for it...but alas, I was prompted with errors trying to use the key.  Doing some searching, brought me to this thread which instructed me to reinstall the OS.
    Well, I'm here because I didn't get the Server Reinstallation option...just New Installation.

I have two 320GB (WD3200BEKT) drives on Sata 0 and 1 and a couple 2TB (WD20EADS) drives on Sata 3 and 4.  The OS is on the Sata 0 drive.
    I'm running the system on a GA-MA790GPT-UD3H motherboard.

I have about 2 days left of my trial key with WHS to get this figured out.
    Do you see all 4 drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen?  If not, you need to supply drivers for whichever drives are missing in the GUI portion of the setup.  Also, you may very well need to supply the same drivers again during the text portion of the setup (which is after the first reboot).  If so, you need to press F6 when prompted (it's a very small window of opportunity) and you will need to use a floppy drive to supply the drivers during the text portion.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 11:41 PM

After thinking about it, I bit the bullet and rebuilt from scratch.  Since I had just started putting data on in the past couple weeks and not anything in BD yet, I had enough space to hold all the data on half the drive space.

I first ended up taking one of each drive out of the system...in hope that the installation would give me the option then.  Of course, I didn't get the Server Reinstallation option, so I then disconnected the two drives that were still active and rebuilt the system from the two I originally took out.  It took me pretty much all evening to rebuild the data...

I'm might try and put the DVD in today sometime to see if I would now get the Reinstallation option...I would hope that I would be able to get it now.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:04 PM

The other hurdle in getting Server Reinstallation to show up is that the primary drive must be the first drive WHS sees (which usually means that drive needs to be plugged into the first port on the motherboard).
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:37 PM