Export and Import User Profile RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a Question about the export and the import of Steady State User Profile.
    When I export an User Profile with custom settings, I want to have the Normal Win XP look and Start menu, and import it on another Machine I always get only the classic Start menu.
    Where is the error? What mistake did I make?

Greetings

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 7:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

I got the error!

When you lock user profile for prevent changes it took no theme in the exported user!

So I think the restrictions are innocent but I don´t try yet to Backup the custom restricted user profile with out lock.

Thanks so far!

• Marked as answer by Kleiner Romeo Friday, March 19, 2010 8:42 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Kleiner Romeo, I have just checked importing a user profile to another computer and it worked just fine with Windows XP theme. What is your theme setting on the two computers?
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:22 AM
  • Hi Sean,

I use the standard XP settings. The green Start button, hills and clouds, blue task bar at both computers. The issue is the same by importing an user Profile on the same pc.
    For example:
    I export a user profile with custom restrictions on a USB-Stick, delete the Profile and import the "backup". After the import I log on the user profile and get the Grey classic look, the options tell me this is the standard theme and nothing change if I change at classic look. Unlock the Profile all so do not solve the problem.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 7:50 AM
  • It seems that the only difference is that I exported a user with no restriction set in Windows SteadyState. You can also try that and see if the root cause is one of the restrictions.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Hi Sean,

I got the error!

When you lock user profile for prevent changes it took no theme in the exported user!

So I think the restrictions are innocent but I don´t try yet to Backup the custom restricted user profile with out lock.

Thanks so far!

• Marked as answer by Kleiner Romeo Friday, March 19, 2010 8:42 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 8:42 AM