none
More duplicates than before RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Perhaps because --CELKO-- got an error, copied the reply to the clipboard, and submitted it a total of 3 times, thinking it never worked until the 3rd try. Or do you think something else is happening?

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:40 AM
  • It actually just happened to me as well. I clicked on Submit button and without waiting for the reply to post went back to watch some stupid Russian TV serial. When I came back, I found that the reply didn't post, so I clicked on Submit button again and it posted after about 20+ seconds delay. Then I opened that thread and found that my post was already where and even proposed and voted and there was another post already. So, I deleted that extra post.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 4:33 AM
  • UPDATE: I submitted this as a bug request. Hopefully fixing the delay would fix this too.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:21 AM
    Owner
  • Please allow me to see if I'm able to encounter the Delay/Duplicate posting with quotation from SQL Server 2012 White Pages:

PowerPivot Enhancements

With SQL server 2012, Microsoft has enhanced the data analysis capabilities of PowerPivot for both the client-side component (PowerPivot for Excel) and the server-side component (PowerPivot for SharePoint) to provide enhanced self-service BI functionality to all Microsoft Office users. The new enhancements in PowerPivot help users integrate data from multiple sources more easily, create reports and analytical applications faster, and share and collaborate on insights more easily using the familiar environment of Excel<sup> </sup>and SharePoint.

PowerPivot for Excel: PowerPivot for Excel is an add-in to Excel 2010 that allows business users to work with data from any source and syndication, including Open Data Protocol (ODATA) feeds, to create business models and integrate large amounts of data directly into Excel workbooks. Sophisticated workbooks can be built using Excel only, or using the PowerPivot model as the source of data by other BI tools, including third-party tools as well as the new Power View capability discussed earlier, to generate meaningful reports. These reports can be published to SharePoint Server and then shared across the organization easily.

With PowerPivot for Excel, users have tools to analyze their data that are easier to use and more powerful. New features include:

• Diagram View: Enables tables to be viewed in a visually organized way (as shown in Figure 4), and allows users to easily change relationships and hierarchies with the Diagram View of all the involved tables.
    • Hierarchies: Simplifies the selection and navigation of common data paths by allowing users to define a collection of columns as child levels, which appear separate from other columns in a reporting client tool. 
    • Relationships in a Diagram View: Allows users to easily create and view relationships between columns from different tables with a simplified way of visualizing how different tables are related to each other.
    • Multiple Relationships: Defines multiple relationships for a single set of tables. The first relationship is displayed as active, and all other relationships are considered inactive (appearing as dotted lines in Diagram View).
    • Measure Grid: All the measures can be viewed in a grid pattern, which simplifies the creation, update, and management of measures and key performance indicators (KPIs) involved in the model.
    • Advanced Tab: All the advanced featuressuch as creating and editing perspectives, summarizing numeric values using aggregation functions, and setting the reporting tool properties (like Power View)are available in a separate tab.
    • Reporting Properties: All the properties of the reporting tool (such as Power View) including table identifiers, group values, table details, representation columns, image URLs, and representative imagescan be managed from within PowerPivot.
    • New Functions for Data Analysis Expressions (DAX): More than 30 new functions, including statistical functions (such as DISTINCT COUNT and RANK), table functions (such as SUMMARIZE), search functions (such as LOOKUPVALUE), row-level security functions, filter functions (such as ALLSELECTED), and information functions (such as parent-child relationships) have been added to the new release of PowerPivot for Excel.
    • Support for Binary Large Object (BLOB) Data Types: Users can now import images and blob data types, which are automatically detected and accepted as binary data types.
    • Perspectives: Perspective, a metadata layer that tracks different sets of data or slices, can be defined for any specific user group or business scenario, which makes it easier to navigate large data sets.
    • Key Performance Indicators: KPIs help organizations evaluate the current value and state of metrics against any defined target, and thus gauge performance against base values or an absolute value.
    • Date Table Settings: Users can now apply date filtering functionality to any table by marking it as a date table.
    • Advanced Sorting: Users can now sort columns according to values of another column, providing ways to achieve complex business logic in simple ways.
    • Persisted Formatting: The formatting applied to any column in the modeling environment can now persist when fields are added to value areas of the pivot table.
    • Descriptions: Descriptions about tables, measures, and KPIs now appear as tooltips when users move the pointer over objects in the field list.
    • Other Tab Changes: New Ribbon features have been added to the Home and Design tabs based on customer feedback and usability testing.

Pan Zhang Customer Support Visual Studio Cloud Service team

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:40 AM
  • Above post was published at once without delay/duplicate response.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Hi Naomi,

If you can capture the error message or screenshot after clicking Submit button, which would be helpful to diagnose the nature of it.

As tested, I was not experiencing this at that time at least, maybe this is an intermittent issue from server or client.

So if you see it next time, please keep such messages and post here for investigation.

And I'll subscribe to this thread.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:07 AM
  • Pan,

Yes, for some reason Naomi sometimes gets delays that are far worse than what I've ever seen. It must be a server issue. It would be very difficult for you to repro. But other users are facing this issue too.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:24 AM
    Owner
  • I think it may also be Internet connection. Last few days I seem to notice delays not only in this forum, but in gmail and Life Journal as well.

My blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:31 AM
  • Look at this most recent example

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/c57866e3-73bc-455f-b038-76f90220d730

Kalman will probably delete duplicate himself or I'll do later, but hopefully you can see deleted messages in the forum also.

My blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:18 PM
  • BTW, I see you have been victim of this exact problem yourself

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/d2c87d3d-7116-4192-9d1f-17ae9ffb7e5f

I undeleted that post, because your first post (which I didn't delete yet) does not show image correctly - it shows broken image icon.

My blog

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:21 PM
  • If you can capture the error message or screenshot after clicking Submit button, which would be helpful to diagnose the nature of it.

That won't be enough.   You will need a trace of the first event, which is a POST with a 500 response, resulting in an "Unexpected Error" tiny message window.   The difference is that now we have to check after each such event whether a Submit actually worked or not.   Also, that assumes that when checking we don't get a response from a server which is not yet synchronized.   As I said  "Progress?"

One detail which I think needs to be correlated with these reports is whether the Submit was being done from a Preview thread or a full thread.   I think there are still more problems associated with posting from Preview threads and this symptom is just one of them.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:49 PM