AD Attributes for OCS 2007 R2 not showing in AD, Windows Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried installing OCS 2007 R2 three different times now, each time on a different OS, but each time utilizing the same server name. The install is the Standard Edition, with all normal server roles collocated on the same machine. The first install was Windows Server 2008 R2, and my validation continued to fail because https://server.domain.local:444/LiveServer/MCU or MCUFactory could not be contacted. Someone finally pointed out to me that Server 2008 R2 was not yet supported, so I then installed Windows Server 2008 SP2, and put OCS 2007 R2 back on it. Exact same thing. Frustrated. Both of these installations were on a Virtual Machine, which was located on a Hyper-V server. SO, I then blew away that server, and instead installed OCS 2007 R2 on a clean install of Windows Server 2003 R2, SP2. This was a physical machine. As usual, the install said successful, and then validation continues to fail with the exact same errors. Because of these errors, IM, A/V, and Desktop Sharing all work on a P2P basis, but conferencing doesn't work at all.

If you can help with the above problem at all, I would be EXTREMELY grateful! However the problem I am writing about here is that on the first two installs (both on versions of Server 2008), the ADUC management console that installed was the 2008 version, and I was able to go in and right-click any user to "Enable" them for OCS. Now, when I try to access ADUC on Windows Server 2003, I don't have that option at all when I right-click a user. When I go into their properties, I don't even see the appropriate tab for OC attributes! The users that I already added reflect a column that shows their SIP info, but I cannot access any attributes, or add new users because of this. Anybody have any clue why this would be, or how I can make these attributes and options show up in ADUC???

Thanks in advance for any help!

v/r

Josh
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:49 PM

Answers

• Have you tried installing the OCS Management Tools on your domain controller or another member server that also has ADUC installed on it?  IT appears you have the correct process, so it might be something wrong with the OCS server; I have not seen this issue before.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by ren_freak Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:04 PM

All replies

• Take a look at this article if you need to manually install the R2 Admin Tools: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=54
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I already installed the admin tools. I get the OCS managament console, and it also installed the CWA console. I still cannot access the Communicator tab in AD, or enable users in AD to use OC. Any idea why I the Admin Tools would install successfully, yet I don't have that capability?

Josh
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:01 PM
  • Ok, I also removed the admin tools, rebooted, and then reinstalled them. No errors. However, I open ADUC back up and nothing. No Communicator tab, and no options to enable users for OC when right-clicking them. Please help! Any advice would be great!
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:29 PM
  • Have you tried installing the OCS Management Tools on your domain controller or another member server that also has ADUC installed on it?  IT appears you have the correct process, so it might be something wrong with the OCS server; I have not seen this issue before.
    • Marked as answer by ren_freak Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:02 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Well, perhaps something is wrong with my OCS 2007 R2 server itself or something. I went to one of our DCs, just a secondary virtual machine, and installed the admin tools there...after it made me install the C++ Redistributable, SQL Client components, and OCS Core components. I then opened up ADUC, and voila!! Thanks for the tip...now to tackle the main problem of my OCS install...
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:03 PM