Request clarification RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a "used" computer for my son to practice on (he's 9).  I had a friend install a new dvd drive, but i was getting an error message wmp 10 which said to lower my screen resolution before the dvd could be played.  I also have a separate issue with this because it still won't play the dvd.  I had my friend troubleshoot and he said that my copy of windows xp home was bootlegged and suggested this site.  He refused to do anymore work because he was afraid he would accidently " lock " or destroy my current copy of Windows (which brings me to my stupid questions).

1)  Me and my friend have looked EVERYWHERE on this thing for the CoA, even going so far as removing the case (although my buddy said it is never listed there) and can not find it.  Since the computer is only a couple of years old (according to the seller, but again my buddy says it is at least five years old because it is still using a pentium 3 chip.  Is this true?)  Is it possible the sticker could have just worn off and is there a way to go through the system itself to find that number?

2) If I follow the directions given in step 3 of the Genuine Microsoft Software page ( http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displaylang=en ) am I going to have to buy something before I can activate Windows XP as required, how long do I have to activate, and how much will it cost? (please be gentle here)

3) I have already paid $250 for this thing and I'm not really eager to pay more since that will push my total cost to being on par with a brand new machine.  So what can I do, other than toss it out with the trash?

I REALLY appreciate the support and apologize in advance if the information is listed somewhere else.  I am completely ignorant when it comes to pc's in general and I am grateful to you for clearing this up for me.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:45 AM

Answers

• Hey thanks for helping me Dan.  The computer manufactuar is a company named cyber series and it came with Windows Xp on it.  And I didn't recieve any sort of restore discs.  This is also my first pc (which would explain why I got robbed so bad.  I know nothing about them) so I don't have any other copies of windows.  Thanks again for your support and here is the requested information:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Windows Product Key Hash: FJ394wPNhWbU5cGyY+krGQmGt7E=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-5150253-23374
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 94527f7c-15fa-45b9-90a4-7307206314d4
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: http=localhost:8080
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.bin
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.dat
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.sig

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>94527f7c-15fa-45b9-90a4-7307206314d4</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DVRPQ</PKey><PID>55274-640-5150253-23374</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-790525478-1957994488-1708537768</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>VT82C694X</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20010704000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>574D36C701842057</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Lost Cause,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

From all of the information gathered, it would seem that your are the victim of the type of software piracy called "hard disk loading," where the seller uses an unauthorized Product Key to install a Volume License copy of XP Pro onto the computer.

Characteristics of the "hard disk loading" style of piracy are:  no genuine MS CD, or any other type of recovery or reinstallation CD or recovery partition; no Certificate of Authenticity; no genuine MS User Pamphlet; no presentation of an End User Licensing Agreement when you first take the computer home and start it up.

If there is no COA then you do not have a genuine license to run XP.

If the seller represented the computer as having a genuine installation of XP, you may be able to persuade him to refund your money, or you may decide to pursue whatever small claims court or other civil court remedies that are available in your locality.

Your options at this point include:

1.  Do nothing.  You computer will continue to function properly and receive security related critical updates if you have Automatic Updates turned on.  You will not be able to get updates from Windows Update manually and you will not be able to download nice-to-have programs from MS downloads.

2.  Purchase a valid copy of XP from a trusted local merchant or other retail location.  If you happen to have a genuine MS full product CD for Windows 98 or Me, you could ue that CD as proof of previous ownership and as qualifying media to purchase and install a retail upgrade of XP Home Edition, which is normally the least expensive copy of XP sold.

3.  Consider participating in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit.  Since your installed XP is Pro, you will only be offered the option to purchase a WGA Kit containing XP Pro, the US price is $149.

4.  Consider an alternative Operating System.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:03 PM

All replies

• Lost Cause,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

You've already done Step 2 below without being able to find any COA.

[Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx]

What is the exact make and model of the computer, if from a name-brand manufacturer?

Do you have a genuine MS full product installation CD from Windows 98 or Windows Me, or any other Windows?

Did this computer come with any operating system or recovery CDs?

To answer your questions:

1.  COAs have pretty strong adhesive but they can be removed with any sharp-edged device.  You can get the product key used to install the current installation of XP using some simple downloadable utilities.  The exact age of the computer is not all that important for WGA-related purposes.

2.  MS does sell Get Genuine WGA Kits.  The USA price for XP Home is $99.  Judging by posts to this forum, however, it is very rare that XP Home is pirated.

3.  The WGA Notifications shown because the installation of XP may be nongenuine do not in any way in and of themselves hamper the use of the computer, so you my not have to do anything.  Other issues with the computer as you describe may impact on its usefullness in its current state.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:33 PM
  • Hey thanks for helping me Dan.  The computer manufactuar is a company named cyber series and it came with Windows Xp on it.  And I didn't recieve any sort of restore discs.  This is also my first pc (which would explain why I got robbed so bad.  I know nothing about them) so I don't have any other copies of windows.  Thanks again for your support and here is the requested information:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Windows Product Key Hash: FJ394wPNhWbU5cGyY+krGQmGt7E=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-5150253-23374
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 94527f7c-15fa-45b9-90a4-7307206314d4
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: http=localhost:8080
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.bin
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.dat
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\oembios.sig

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>94527f7c-15fa-45b9-90a4-7307206314d4</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DVRPQ</PKey><PID>55274-640-5150253-23374</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-790525478-1957994488-1708537768</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>VT82C694X</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20010704000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>574D36C701842057</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Lost Cause,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are upgrade licenses only and can never be used as the orginal or base license for a computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on the computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

From all of the information gathered, it would seem that your are the victim of the type of software piracy called "hard disk loading," where the seller uses an unauthorized Product Key to install a Volume License copy of XP Pro onto the computer.

Characteristics of the "hard disk loading" style of piracy are:  no genuine MS CD, or any other type of recovery or reinstallation CD or recovery partition; no Certificate of Authenticity; no genuine MS User Pamphlet; no presentation of an End User Licensing Agreement when you first take the computer home and start it up.

If there is no COA then you do not have a genuine license to run XP.

If the seller represented the computer as having a genuine installation of XP, you may be able to persuade him to refund your money, or you may decide to pursue whatever small claims court or other civil court remedies that are available in your locality.

Your options at this point include:

1.  Do nothing.  You computer will continue to function properly and receive security related critical updates if you have Automatic Updates turned on.  You will not be able to get updates from Windows Update manually and you will not be able to download nice-to-have programs from MS downloads.

2.  Purchase a valid copy of XP from a trusted local merchant or other retail location.  If you happen to have a genuine MS full product CD for Windows 98 or Me, you could ue that CD as proof of previous ownership and as qualifying media to purchase and install a retail upgrade of XP Home Edition, which is normally the least expensive copy of XP sold.

3.  Consider participating in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit.  Since your installed XP is Pro, you will only be offered the option to purchase a WGA Kit containing XP Pro, the US price is $149.

4.  Consider an alternative Operating System.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Dan thanks so much for the help.  I am going to demand a refund.  My buddy told me that the biggest reason for bootlegging an OS is to gather personal information such as a SS# or a credit card number, etc. and I don't want to chance it.  Thank you again for teaching me what to watch for next time.  God Bless.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Lost Cause,

You're welcome, and good luck!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 8:08 PM