OCS R2 Ringback issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if any of the TAP partners have seen this issue with Ring Back. When callers call into my OCS they hear now ringback. I have everything running R2 and I am using a Avaya CM with a SES server between the OCS and CM. Calls are answered fine and calls internal have ring but no one calling in hears ringing.

Thanks
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:20 AM

All replies

• Mediation Server R2 now uses ICEv19 with early media. All current VoIP media gateways will require updated firmware. ICEv19 is required in order to achieve "Single number reach" future.

Drago
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:01 PM
  • This is interesting! I am going to check with Avaya on this issue. I know Dialogic is putting out a new firmware today but I doubt Avaya will have this issue addressed right now!
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:36 PM
  • I am not sure if changes in ICE will affect your current issue unless it is a problem for remote users like mobile clients, in saying that it does sound like a early media issue. Avaya do have a relationship with MSFT in regards to interop with OCS so I would nt be surprised if you require an update on the Avaya side to stay compatible with OCS R2.

If you have a resolution to this please post.

Cheers

Chris

http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Friday, February 27, 2009 5:42 PM
  •  Unfortunately, you are right. I'm still having issues with the early media and did some more reading. Your issue does not seem to be related (not that I have idea thus far what it could be)...

I went live two days ago with one office (MP-114 -> Mediation -> OCS R2 -> Snom 300 phones) and have ran interop certification with Broadvox and GlobbalCrossing (ITSP -> Mediation as of preparation for enterprice mass deployment) and never had this problem. I bet my money on Avaya configuration/firmware.

Drago
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:45 AM
  • I think I know why there is no ring back! When I wrote that had Interop with Broadvox, I remembered this was against OCS R1 and so, I connected the trunk to R2 and BAMM (or rather nothing i.e. no ring back tone.)

Trace shows that OCS R2 never sends 180 Ringing!!! This puzzles me because:

1. GlobalCrossing's trunk worked (with ring back), but

2. This paper: http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/F/16F4E321-AA6B-4FA3-8AD3-E94C895A3C97/%5BMS-OCPSTN%5D.PDF clearly states that "180 Ringing" should be send to the gateway.

Is this a bug? Any comment or clarifications form UC partners will be highly appreciated.

Drago
    Monday, March 2, 2009 6:35 PM
  • You wont get a 180 unless you have a successful 100 & 200 coming back. Do you see the ACK coming back from the invite?
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 11:13 PM
  • We tested today against another platform and worked.

Drago
    Friday, March 6, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Hi dragot,

my question is whether SES 5.1 and OCS R2 can cooperate together (==SIP trunk)?

Even in case of OCS R1, the Avaya SES was never on the supported list of IP-PBXs.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Richard,

I had few very interestion conversations last two days at VoiceCon in Orlando. Looks like the certification (to be included in the "supported" list) is naither easy or cheap. It is up to the manufacturers to contact Microsoft, submit a request for certification and pay hefty fees... No one could know the real motives of the leading companies when they certify (or not) particular model or platform.

I any case, using "certified" device or service would give us "peace of mind" vs. sort of "self cerification" procedures. I attended a meeting with Microsoft on Monday and besides some other topics, I pointed that MS does not offer any document(s) specifying "best practices" when one tests ITSP interop with Mediation Server (RTM or R2).

For example, I ran the interop with Broadvox entirely based on their procedures. Now, all tests were sucessfull and Broadvox certified the interop. This does not mean all features of OCS are (or will be) fully functional. This is why we continue to test in small live environment. Thus far, we have not found a feature that does not work.

Same applies to Snom phones with OCS edition firmware. Microsoft does not have end ponts certification procedure in place (probably because they were developing the devices them selfs) and so, we cannot expect Snom to receive certification any time soon. This does not mean Snom devices are not fully functional - simply we will not see them on the MS site any time soon because the above reason.

Drago
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Ok, I understand your point. Let me change my question: did you manage to make integration work at a level, that can be said as "basically it is working"?
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 4:20 PM
  • If under "integration" you mean Snom -> OCS FE -> Mediation -> SIP over TCP trunk and back, the answer is Yes. I can say, our confidence level is well above "basically works". As I said, we have not found a feature that does not work. This inludes "Single number reach", "Simultaneous Rind", "Dial via Work", "PSTN Conference" and so on.

We had our migration plan approved last Thursday and since Monday this week, we have ordered number of trunks (total of 100 concurrent calls) from Broadvox and 400 Snom300 phones from novusllc.com

We will migrate from 375 PSTN service lines to 470 OCS R2 endpoints by the end of June, 2009. The projected cost saving is 70.2% and the ROI is 11.8 months.

Drago
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:37 PM
  • That sounds great!

I am asking this, because the most recent SES (5.1.x) was released in the middle of 2008, and R2 got RTM in January 2009, so I am sceptic about the support for such a new integration party in a relatively "old" product.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 8:24 AM
  • We are having the same issue with Broadvox trunks that we are testing but the 180 is going through to them.  They see it and we see it but since they are getting indications of early media, they are relying on OCS to provide the ringback sounds.  We have a contact at Microsoft trying to determine if we do have control of this but I've been unable to find anything definitive. 

I did find this blog entry that implies it can be done, but that's the closest I've seen:

http://communicationsserverteam.com/archive/2009/04/03/395.aspx

Specifically, the second paragraph under "Support for Early Media".

Have you managed to resolve this with Broadvox?  Other than this, their product seems to work great with OCS.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Ted,

I went trough this already. My trunks are with Broadvox as well. Currently I'm using Mediation R1 and OCS R2 because of this same reason. However, Broadvox working on new SIP Trunking product scheduled for deployment on May 1st. We are included in the test group and I can assure you - it works with Mediation R2 just fine! Patience is a virtue (smile).

Drago
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Can you tell me who your technical contact at Broadvox is?  I'm working with a lead engineer in Cleveland and she doesn't seem to be aware of this.  You can reach me by inserting @ between my first and last name dot com.

Thanks much for the quick reply.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:40 AM