Migration from 4.0 to 2011 Deployment Manager Error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm migrating 4.0 to CRM 2011. I installed CRM successfully, and then backed up the organization_MSCRM database and moved it to my new SQL Server. Then I did a restore on the DB that was created during the installation, pointing to the backup copy mentioned earlier.

During the Restore I was told there was not enough room on my c drive so I detached the database, moved the log files, and then attached, pointing to the new log file location.

When I open and run CRM Deployment Manager I get the following message:
    The Import Organization Wizard cannot connect to the SQL Server or cannot find an organization database on 'SQL server name.' Verify that the server name in the SQL Server box is correct and that the computer is running Microsoft SQL Server where an organization database is stored.

I looked at the event logs on the CRM Server and found the following:
    Host servername: error while processing organization 7cd7d4dc-ed1b-4552-866c-5bd1ce3ede06. Exception: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid column name 'OwningExtensionId'.
    Invalid column name 'OwningExtensionIdName'.
    Invalid column name 'OwningExtensionTypeCode'.
    Invalid column name 'OwnerId'.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is this related to detaching the db, moving the ldf and mdf files and attaching? I was able to run CRM 2011 after the initial install.

Thanks!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 9:28 PM

All replies

• Do you need to pick a different server for your database server role in deployment manager.  It seems like maybe something isn't connected right.
    Jamie Miley
    Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Friday, November 4, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Hi bacady,

You need to change the registry keys.

in Registry keys change the SQL Server and also check for CRM Server groups from Active Directory and provide permissions in SQL groups also from SQL Logins.

And do iisreset

Check for Deployment Manager.

Regards,

Khaja Mohiddin|||||http://www.dynamicsexchange.com/
    Friday, November 4, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Thanks, Jamie, for the reply.

As an update, I started the process from the beginning with a new SQL Server specified as the original server was being used for other purposes as well. And yet I'm still getting the same message when I try to start the Import Organization process.

As for server roles, I only have two for this instance. One acts as my SQL server, the other as my CRM full server.

When I start the Import process I can choose from a list of available SQL servers but there is only one that has my association_MSCRM database on it and that is the one I'm choosing. That is when I get the message stated above.

Brad

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:45 PM