Server Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to perform a server reinstall due that my homeserver setup never completed and is behaving like an SBS.
    The problem is I have a SATA controller with 2 drives connected, and homeserver setup cannot see the drives connected to the controller.

The drivers are in a setup.exe that I cannot uncompress to extract the drivers and insert them in the installation process.

Is is necessary to have all my drives visible at the server reinstalltion process ?

Can I add a drive (with data) later when homeserver is allready installed ?

Thanks.

Friday, October 23, 2009 6:59 PM

All replies

• Check with the manufacturer of the SATA controller. They should have instructions telling you how to extract drivers and prepare an "F6 floppy", which is used for installing a new operating system on a computer.

You will not be able to add a drive with data later and have Windows Home Server integrate that drive into it's managed storage with data intact.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:01 PM
  • I would disagree with the latter part of the statement about not being able to add the drive and retain the data, if you add the drive after the install process and then add the drive into storage there is an option at the bottom that says 'retain the data on the drive' I am in the UK so whether its a different version or not I do not know
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:07 PM
  • I would disagree with the latter part of the statement about not being able to add the drive and retain the data, if you add the drive after the install process and then add the drive into storage there is an option at the bottom that says 'retain the data on the drive' I am in the UK so whether its a different version or not I do not know

That will add the drive as a server backup drive. If you want the drive integrated into the storage pool, it will be formatted in the process.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Can you then not take the data from the drive and then re add it as a storage one?
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Manually, yes. Windows Home Server will not do it for you, however; it will happily format your 1 TB external drive full of DVD rips if you tell it to.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:53 PM