Detecting Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to copy all of my media to my new shiny HP EX495 and i'm getting no joy.  I've been messing with this stupid thing for almost 2 weeks now with different problems.

Here is my current one:

I can not detect either my internal DVD drive on my Vaio or an external DVD drive when it is plugged in to either the Vaio or directly into the MediaSmart Server

how do you do this?? I have a ton of old DVD and CDs with mp3s, backup photos, etc and I want to just insert them into a drive and have them transfer/organize onto the server.

here is my setup:

Sony Vaio running Vista

HP MediaSmart Server with the External USB add-in

NetGear WNDR3700 wi-fi router

Pioneer DVR-111D external drive (the internal DVD drive is not detected either).

I know i can drag and drop files using explorer - but 1. that is a pain in the ____, and 2. it does organize the files in any form like the collector does.

any ideas?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 7:18 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't include a tool that will automatically copy and organize data that you currently have on removable media on your server, so you're going to have to do some amount of manual work to get this done. I would probably do it almost entirely by hand, maybe using a tool like robocopy, richcopy, Sync Toy or a commercial alternative to copy the data from the individual disks to a location from which I could sort the data onto the server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:28 PM
  • kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing an 'out-of-the-box' solution thought doesn't it?  I'm half leaning towards returning this thing and just building my own Raid server.

here are a list of probs i've had so far:

1. inconsistent documentation (This is really HP's fault i guess)

2. server name different than what is in setup tools

3. DNS could not resolve server (had to hard code the ip into my lmhosts table)

4. remote access can't seem to connect (even after turning all firewalls off)

5. Media collector continuously stops midway

5. doesn't seem like the server is actually redundant in any way - if the server goes down, i lose everything...

If i can't get this thing to copy/organize external media, then it is pretty junk for me. (expensive junk...)

thanks for the tips - i'll try out robocopy/richcopy and see what happens.

chrs, rahim

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:18 PM
  • I know the My Movies addin has a rip mode. I don't believe it's free, but certainly an option. There are other programs that are supposed to automatically rip for you, but may not be designed specifically for WHS
    Friday, September 17, 2010 11:16 PM
  • Thank you for this. I'm actually just trying to copy (i.e. no need to rip).  I have a load of mp3s on a few DVDs and I want to be able to copy (and have them automatically organize) on the server.
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 5:59 AM