Urgent for all Money 2005 users! RRS feed

• General discussion

• If you haven't already done so, you MUST take ACTION SOON--and not later than 1/31/2011--to preserve your ability to re-install M05 in such a way that you will be able to access your existing data files.

See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx or numerous other resources (google microsoft money .1105 reinstall) for further information.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:52 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the reminder.

Is it beyond the wit of Microsoft to preserve the patch somewhere on their vast servers?

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:53 PM
  • We don't know for certain what Microsoft will do on this. But we know this much: the patch for M05 has never been distributed or installable in any normal way that makes it possible to download a standard installable like most other software from Microsoft as well as other software vendors. Since the entire distribution scheme is unique to Money, the server(s) that feed it have been maintained by the Money product group on their internal accounts. The Money group and everything they ever were will be GONE (poof! dissappear! leave no tracks! erase history! the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions gone) 2/1/2011. The only remnent of their existance we can be reasonably confident will be around at least for a while after that is the M+ Sunset download.

So, M05 users, do you feel lucky? Well, do you?

p.s., I should add: making it to 2/1/2011 is probably no sure thing either. If the server that has this stuff goes toes up tomorrow, you can be sure that that would be The End. This has happened more or less this way to other Money services during the extended death bed scene.

Friday, December 10, 2010 1:38 AM
  • So, M05 users, do you feel lucky? Well, do you?

p.s., I should add: making it to 2/1/2011 is probably no sure thing either. If the server that has this stuff goes toes up tomorrow, you can be sure that that would be The End. This has happened more or less this way to other Money services during the extended death bed scene.

In the Christmas spirit of helping my fellow man I downloaded the 'Sunset' version of MSMoney (onto a 'spare' PC!) in the UK to see what happened. It refused to 'convert' Money 2005 files, but did import the QIF files. I got all the correct accounts, but the figures were way out and would take weeks to correct.

So additional advice is to make sure you export your files regularly as a further backup, so that Sunset Money or another package would be able to read them.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:27 PM
  • Yes that's correct, it will convert the US version of Money 2005 but not the UK.

I switched to the US version of Money 2 or 3 years ago, via QIF, as I could see that M05 was the last version the UK would get. Little did I know the entire range would be dropped, but it did enable me to install Sunset without a hitch.

I see no reason not to spend half a day exporting from M05 and importing to Sunset, and just be done with it. That way you're covered for the future (as far as anyone else is anyway) regardless of whether you're a UK user or US user.

Jim (Scotland)

Monday, December 27, 2010 8:01 AM
  • I switched to the US version of Money 2 or 3 years ago, via QIF, as I could see that M05 was the last version the UK would get. Little did I know the entire range would be dropped, but it did enable me to install Sunset without a hitch.

I see no reason not to spend half a day exporting from M05 and importing to Sunset, and just be done with it. That way you're covered for the future (as far as anyone else is anyway) regardless of whether you're a UK user or US user.

Jim (Scotland)

Are you saying that the older versions of Money (USA) were better at QIF importing than Sunset, specifically from 2005 UK QIF?
    Monday, January 3, 2011 3:58 PM
  • So, M05 users, do you feel lucky? Well, do you?

In the Christmas spirit of helping my fellow man I downloaded the 'Sunset' version of MSMoney (onto a 'spare' PC!) in the UK to see what happened. It refused to 'convert' Money 2005 files, but did import the QIF files. I got all the correct accounts, but the figures were way out and would take weeks to correct.

So additional advice is to make sure you export your files regularly as a further backup, so that Sunset Money or another package would be able to read them.

I've also just installed the Sunset version onto a spare computer- and using QIF files exported from an International version of MS Money 2005 the import worked flawlessly. Every account, and all data from 1998 to the present entered correctly, it just took a few minutes to enter all my bills. I now intend to delete my International version of MS Money 2005 on my Windows 7 computer, install Sunset, and use the backup money files from the Money Sunset home and business on my old Windows XP computer. 
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Be very careful about eliminating your old environment anytime soon. There are MANY things that do not pass through the QIF process. (Payee addresses, Loan accounts, stock symbols, account and category comments come instantly to mind as mere examples of a much larger problem.) If you get rid of your legacy environment and find anything missing or untoward, you will have essentially no way to get back there to look.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:24 AM
  • ...and, of course, if you have several archived functioning copies of Money2005 backed up according to instructions broadcast here and in many places on CDs and spare drives, this will never be necessary unless and until we all move to an operating system that cannot the programme.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:13 PM