Activation loop on 5 year-old XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP (Home Edition SP3 Spanish language) with OEM licence which came as part of the purchase of my laptop in 2006. It has worked for years without a problem. However, it is now popping up a message during login saying that, in order to continue using this copy of Windows it needs to be activated with Microsoft. If I select "Yes", another message says that Windows is now activated, click Accept to exit. At this point Windows logs out again, the message reappears during the next login and we are in an endless cycle.  We don't have any original Windows XP CD's to repair or reinstall. Why has it started to request activation after so many years? What should we do now??

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Friday, October 7, 2011 1:07 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3))
    Friday, October 7, 2011 10:35 AM

Answers

• "LAL46" wrote in message news:e2f4be95-0497-4a92-a74c-9abe6d8e2b83...

Hi Noel - Many thanks for your response, much appreciated. I have already been using the "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" 30-day work-around you mentioned up to now to get around the problem. Unfortunately I didn't think of entering the COA key in normal mode when I had the chance to! :-/  But then again, I didn't realise that this fix actually stops working after the 3rd or 4th time of using it!

So, right now I'm really stuck as I can only get into safe mode... Any other thoughts?

So you’ve had 3 or 4 months to fix the problem already, and have neglected to do so?
    I’m out of good ideas, I’m afraid – Dan may have another ‘saver’, but I wouldn’t bank on it. You may be down to a reinstall.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:46 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 5:43 PM

All replies

• <quote Dan at IT Associates>

You might be able to address your immediate issue of the expired 30-day activation grace period by resetting it. Follow these steps:

1. If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, do so.

2. At the command prompt, type this command exactly (space, caps, and comma are essential):

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

3. Restart.

If you were successful, your activation grace period will have been reset, giving you more time to work on the problem.

</quote>

You should then be able to enter the Key on the COA sticker if required - but please post an MGADiag report anyhow as soon as you get to Normal Mode.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Friday, October 7, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Hi Noel - Many thanks for your response, much appreciated. I have already been using the "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" 30-day work-around you mentioned up to now to get around the problem. Unfortunately I didn't think of entering the COA key in normal mode when I had the chance to! :-/  But then again, I didn't realise that this fix actually stops working after the 3rd or 4th time of using it!

So, right now I'm really stuck as I can only get into safe mode... Any other thoughts?

Friday, October 7, 2011 5:32 PM
  • "LAL46" wrote in message news:e2f4be95-0497-4a92-a74c-9abe6d8e2b83...

Hi Noel - Many thanks for your response, much appreciated. I have already been using the "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" 30-day work-around you mentioned up to now to get around the problem. Unfortunately I didn't think of entering the COA key in normal mode when I had the chance to! :-/  But then again, I didn't realise that this fix actually stops working after the 3rd or 4th time of using it!

So you’ve had 3 or 4 months to fix the problem already, and have neglected to do so?
    I’m out of good ideas, I’m afraid – Dan may have another ‘saver’, but I wouldn’t bank on it. You may be down to a reinstall.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:46 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 5:43 PM