Home Server not recognizing Printer RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully added a Dell 1710 Laser Printer to my WHS but when I plug in my Dell A964 Multifunction is states that it is a Malfunctioning or unknown device.  I didnt need to download drivers for the 1710 but I did for the 964 and my choices were W2K, XP and Vista but when I tried to install the software drivers it stated tat the printer was not connected.  I am assuming its a USB issue but other USB printers and devices work.  This printer works when I plug it into an XP system.  Any thoughts?
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:44 AM

Answers

• I have successfully added a Dell 1710 Laser Printer to my WHS but when I plug in my Dell A964 Multifunction is states that it is a Malfunctioning or unknown device.  I didnt need to download drivers for the 1710 but I did for the 964 and my choices were W2K, XP and Vista but when I tried to install the software drivers it stated tat the printer was not connected.  I am assuming its a USB issue but other USB printers and devices work.  This printer works when I plug it into an XP system.  Any thoughts?

First, installing a printer on your server is unsupported (since it requires server desktop access).  Also, since the 964 is a MFP, there is virtually no chance you will ever get all of its functions to work.  As for the drivers needed, you need Server 2003 drivers (which you normally won't find available on any consumer grade printer).  If there are no Server 2003 drivers, it's possible you might get XP drivers to work.

However, my suggestion would be to not use WHS as a print server at all and either A) get a network printer or B) get a print server that change a local printer into a network printer.
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 4:19 AM