Is XP Media Center Edition Product Key interchangable with XP Home Edition? RRS feed

• Question

• I hope someone can shed some light on this question. I have a two year old Dell laptop that comes with the XP Media Center Edition (authentic copy of OS and lable with product key available). I got some McAffee related issues that messed up my internet access and have to reinstall the Window XP OS. Because Del doesn't provide me with the Windows XP Media Center Edition installation CD from the laptop purchase, I want to know whether I can reformat my hard drive and install the XP Home Edition CD I have from another PC I own? I have concerns whether my Media Center Product Key is interchangeable with Home Edition? If not, is there any ways around? Thanks in advance.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 5:42 PM

Answers

• SimonXuan,

No, MCE PKs are not interchangeable with Home Edition.

If you received no MCE CD, that means you have Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed.  Search the Dell support pages for detailed instructions on how to use it to reformat and reinstall.  Dell will sell you a reinstallation CD, contact their tech support.

To access Dell PC Restore, restart the computer and at the Dell startup logo, press and hold CTRL, press F11 then immediately release both at the same time.

Monday, September 17, 2007 5:54 PM

All replies

• SimonXuan,

No, MCE PKs are not interchangeable with Home Edition.

If you received no MCE CD, that means you have Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed.  Search the Dell support pages for detailed instructions on how to use it to reformat and reinstall.  Dell will sell you a reinstallation CD, contact their tech support.

To access Dell PC Restore, restart the computer and at the Dell startup logo, press and hold CTRL, press F11 then immediately release both at the same time.

Monday, September 17, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Thank a lot for your prompt reply. I will try it and see how it works. I am glad I didn't start the work before the system complains.. Regards, Simon
    Monday, September 17, 2007 8:07 PM
  • I hope someone can shed some light on this question. I have a two year old Dell laptop that comes with the XP Media Center Edition (authentic copy of OS and lable with product key available) If not, is there any ways around? Thanks in advance.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 5:43 PM