Remove a HDD... RRS feed

• Question

• i want to replace a 500gb hdd with a 1TB drive.  i don't have any available sata slots so i'm going to have to borrow or buy an external usb sata adapter so the data is moved to the new drive.  (if there is a better way to do this let me know) when the 500gb drive is ready to take out can i then put the 1TB drive in it's place?  will WHS recognize the drive as the same since it will be connected differently?  i'm afraid that it will try to add the drive to the pool again and format the drive again.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 6:38 PM

Answers

• ncinsguy said:

before i changed out my drives it would happen every hour, i'm just wondering if the the changes are possiblycausing it to take longer.

Hi,
    depending from how the data is loaded it could be, that WHS has triggered redistribution of files to other drives, because after removing one disk one or more of the others have been full enough. In this context I could imagine, that balancing task takes longer, especially on a slower system. Could also be, that the every Sunday happening backup cleanup played a role.

So if the balancing schedule is normalizing now to the cycle Colin mentioned, you should be fine.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Monday, November 10, 2008 4:33 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 7:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What you suggest should work as WHS keeps an internal ID list of drives used. I haven't tried a USB to SATA exchange as such, but have had no problems with moving a SATA drive from an eSATA store to an internal SATA connection.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, November 8, 2008 6:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ncinsguy Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:01 AM
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 6:46 PM
  • is there a way to make WHS recognize a device?  i bought a Brando SATA/IDE USB Cable converter that is compatible with xp/2000/me/98 but WHS does not recognize it.  I hooked it up to a xp machine and it works.  cd that comes with it only has 98 drivers on it and manual says no manual installion is needed.  XP found it and it worked simple i didn't have to do anything.  WHS gives me a popup saying the device malfuntioned or does not recognize the device.  i tried it on three different ports and each the same error.  i want to get this 500gb drive off this system so i can add it to my WHS at my office.  it's just a cable with a SATA/IDE connector on it seems like WHS wouldn't mind this device.  manufacturer's website does not have drivers on it.  they are in Hong Kong and it seems that they are just a distributor and not the actual manufacturer.
    • Edited by ncinsguy Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:50 AM
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:48 AM
  • nm i just tried it again and it worked, removing the drive now after adding the drive using the new drive.
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:32 AM
  • I know such USB to SATA/IDE connectors too, but they come also with a Power Supply for the disk.
    So if the disk has no power supply and therefore cannot spin up, this may be a reason.
    I have also seen, that on some systems the sequence, in which the cables have been connected (first USB them power or vice versa, maybe also powercycle the system, not sure any more) has played a role.
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 5:49 PM
  • all is well i think now...i got the 500gb drive out and added 2 1TB drives.  WHS had no issues with seeing the drive i had hooked to the adapter cable originally then transferred to the internal SATA cable.  Balancing last took place 3.5 hrs ago right after i shut down the system to remove and add the drives to the system.  is this normal?  the migration service shows "started".
    Monday, November 10, 2008 4:35 AM
  • ncinsguy said:

all is well i think now...i got the 500gb drive out and added 2 1TB drives.  WHS had no issues with seeing the drive i had hooked to the adapter cable originally then transferred to the internal SATA cable.  Balancing last took place 3.5 hrs ago right after i shut down the system to remove and add the drives to the system.  is this normal?  the migration service shows "started".

No.  If you have installed Power Pack 1, you should see the "balancing" time change every hour.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 5:21 AM
  • before i changed out my drives it would happen every hour, i'm just wondering if the the changes are possiblycausing it to take longer.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:02 AM
  • ncinsguy said:

before i changed out my drives it would happen every hour, i'm just wondering if the the changes are possiblycausing it to take longer.

Hi,
    depending from how the data is loaded it could be, that WHS has triggered redistribution of files to other drives, because after removing one disk one or more of the others have been full enough. In this context I could imagine, that balancing task takes longer, especially on a slower system. Could also be, that the every Sunday happening backup cleanup played a role.

So if the balancing schedule is normalizing now to the cycle Colin mentioned, you should be fine.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Monday, November 10, 2008 4:33 PM
    Monday, November 10, 2008 7:21 AM
  • everything is cool now. i believe it was redistributing lilk Olaf said, i checked it before i went to bed and it showed balanced, took about 5 hours.  all my drives had less than 10% frees space before i made the changes now i have 1.5tb across all 6.
    Monday, November 10, 2008 4:32 PM