Reinstall/Reactivate Old 1.5 One Care Version on Different Computer RRS feed

• Question

•  

Back in February, 2007, I bought One Care version 1.5.1890.16 at a local retailer. I uninstalled it about a month later.

Recently, I bought Microsoft Equipt and have installed it on two of our four computers. One Care is much improved.

One of my laptops already has Microsoft Office Ultimate installed, so I don't want to use that laptop as the third computer for my copy of Equipt (which includes a subscription to Office Home and Student 2007.)

And here I have this (almost) two year old copy of One Care. I just noticed that, right below the product key, there is a note that says "Product must be activated by 31 DEC 2008".

I need to pay for a new subscription for this old product key, install it on a different computer than it was installed on before, wait for it to upgrade to the new version and do all the updates, then change the Live ID that I was using way back two years ago (before the @live ID's were available.)

What will be the best way for me to go about this ... I am reluctant to go right now, from this machine, to buy a new subscription, because I don't want this machine associated with the reactivation. But, there is no antivirus installed on the laptop on which I would like to reinstall/reactivate this old version 1.5 product key.

What would be the best way to proceed?  Thanks ... berry

Monday, October 6, 2008 5:59 AM

Answers

• If you have never activated with that key before, you can use it to activate today, despite the "use by" date listed. If the key was used to activate a subscription back in 2007, you will not be able to use the key to activate. You also don't need to use the old CD. Install the trial from http://onecare.live.com and then activate/subscribe from within OneCare by signing in with a different LiveID than the one you are using with Equipt/OneCare and select the option to activate with a product key.

Note that installing from any CD will always get you the latest bits since installation is actually an online process. You could run into an issue using an older CD if the OS you are installing on is not supported by that version's installer.

-steve

Monday, October 6, 2008 4:13 PM

All replies

• If you have never activated with that key before, you can use it to activate today, despite the "use by" date listed. If the key was used to activate a subscription back in 2007, you will not be able to use the key to activate. You also don't need to use the old CD. Install the trial from http://onecare.live.com and then activate/subscribe from within OneCare by signing in with a different LiveID than the one you are using with Equipt/OneCare and select the option to activate with a product key.

Note that installing from any CD will always get you the latest bits since installation is actually an online process. You could run into an issue using an older CD if the OS you are installing on is not supported by that version's installer.

-steve

Monday, October 6, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Thanks, Steve, for a good answer. Yes, that key was used to activate One Care back in February, 2007. Saw your answer, went to a local retailer, bought a new version 2.0 One Care. Thanks also for the tip to use a different Live ID for this second subscription.

berry ...

Monday, October 6, 2008 10:39 PM
  • You're welcome. :-) Of course, the key now is to keep track of which PC is running what subscription and with what LiveID. <g> I once had a handle on that for my own collection of computers, but I do need to think about it every once in a while.

-steve

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:57 PM