Windows Home Server , Windows Small Business Server a better option RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server for Home Office and Small Office

What we need is a server (basically a hard drive, containing data) to be accessed by a number of people. These people need to access this data from different locations (remote). How many can access data on the server at the same time (ten is too small)

What we trying to do is have a hard drive containing work instruction to be accessed by our staff. We have a network but need the space on a hard drive  . We currently have 4 computers with Linux accessed by staff ( they just map to these computers via the LAN)  The problem we have if the computers are failing due to age.

WE need a better solution than just fixing/replacing the computers. 

If we purchased Aspire easyStore H340 we can replace the four computers. This comes preloaded with Windows Home Server. The only issue I can see is that it may have a limit of only ten users looking at the data at the same time i.e. only ten can map to it. All staff have lap tops with xp

I been told that Microsoft Windows Home Server  has a limit of 10 Logins working to it at a time. Ten logins could  mean 10 staff per login  (or more) making a total of 100 users or more. Is this true?

Is Windows Small Business Server a better option? Is there some other software more suitable?

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:52 PM

All replies

• Microsoft will be releasing a couple of new products based on the same core code as Windows Home Server Version 2 (Vail) for the small business market sometime in the first half of 2011. You may find that a better fit than Windows Home Server V1.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:27 AM
  • Ken

Thank you. The question is will there be the limit of ten users

Deano
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 2:35 AM