WHS and WMC not playing nice RRS feed

• Question

• I've had a Windows Home Server on my home network for some time and love the product.  I decided to add a Windows 7 based home theater PC to the mix.  It was my understanding that with WHS Power Pack 3 sharing media from a WHS to WMC was a snap.  I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and launched the WHS connector installer.  The install process went find and when after I rebooted my machine I fired up WMC and ran thruogh the initial setup.  I was then prompted to install the WHS connector software within WMC and did so.  I double checked that the folders included for the music files for WMC included the WHS music share.  Sure enough the network location was listed.  I then navigated to the Music area of WHS and saw that maybe 10 albums of mine were indexed.  Funny thing is that I have a lot more albums on that share then 10.  I attempted to listen to a track of one of the albums that was indexed and was given a message stating that the file was missing, corrupt or in a location that is currently available.  I was then shown an error code of C00D1196.  This error code indicates a user authentication error.  I logged in to the WHS console and the under Settings > Windows Media Center I can see that the Media Center Extender Access is setup up so that the shares Music, Photos and Videos have Full access on them.  So I'm at a loss now as to why WMC cannot access these shares.  It appears that it could at some point since it was able to index 10 albums off of that share.  Any ideas on what I may do to correct this or how I could better troubleshoot it?  Note that I do not have the guest account of my WHS enabled.  I have never had it enabled and from what I've read it shouldn't be required when using PP3 and WMC.  The user account of my HTPC does not have a matching account on WHS for this exact same reason.  If these assumptions are incorrect please let me know.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this..... thanks! 
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:31 AM

Answers

• My answer of security settings was far too broad.  Here is the layout of the groups that user Mc-XXXXXX belongs to and the security settings for each share.

User Mc-XXXXXX is a member of: RW_D, RW_E, RW_F, RW_R

Music share sharing settings:
        User HOMESERVER\Mc-XXXXXX has Full Control

Music share security settings:
        User HOMESERVER\Mc-XXXXXX has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read and Write
        Group RO_E has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read
        Group RW_E has Full Control

Photos share sharing settings:
        Record for User HOMESERVER\Mc-XXXXXX does not exist

Photos share security settings:
        Group RO_D has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read
        Group RW_D has Full Control

Recorded TV share sharing settings: 

Recorded TV share security settings:
        Group RO_R has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read
        Group RW_R has Full Control

Videos share sharing settings: 

Videos share security settings:
        Group RO_F has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read
        Group RW_F has Full Control

I just remembered that the Media Center portion in the WHS Console is for Media Center Extender access, not Media Center access.  (To verify, I changed my user account to no access to my Recorded TV share and I couldn't play anything stored in that share through MC after doing so.)  Which means you'll need to either A) enable the Guest account on your server and set up at least Read access on those 4 shares or B) set up a user account on your HTPC with a matching user name and password on your server in order for it to work.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:35 PM

All replies

• I've had a Windows Home Server on my home network for some time and love the product.  I decided to add a Windows 7 based home theater PC to the mix.  It was my understanding that with WHS Power Pack 3 sharing media from a WHS to WMC was a snap.  I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and launched the WHS connector installer.  The install process went find and when after I rebooted my machine I fired up WMC and ran thruogh the initial setup.  I was then prompted to install the WHS connector software within WMC and did so.  I double checked that the folders included for the music files for WMC included the WHS music share.  Sure enough the network location was listed.  I then navigated to the Music area of WHS and saw that maybe 10 albums of mine were indexed.  Funny thing is that I have a lot more albums on that share then 10.  I attempted to listen to a track of one of the albums that was indexed and was given a message stating that the file was missing, corrupt or in a location that is currently available.  I was then shown an error code of C00D1196.  This error code indicates a user authentication error.  I logged in to the WHS console and the under Settings > Windows Media Center I can see that the Media Center Extender Access is setup up so that the shares Music, Photos and Videos have Full access on them.  So I'm at a loss now as to why WMC cannot access these shares.  It appears that it could at some point since it was able to index 10 albums off of that share.  Any ideas on what I may do to correct this or how I could better troubleshoot it?  Note that I do not have the guest account of my WHS enabled.  I have never had it enabled and from what I've read it shouldn't be required when using PP3 and WMC.  The user account of my HTPC does not have a matching account on WHS for this exact same reason.  If these assumptions are incorrect please let me know.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this..... thanks! 
    Can you logon to the server desktop, look (and only look  :)  ) at the Sharing permissions for those folders and see if there is a user called Mc-XXXXXX (replacing XXXXXX with the name of your HTPC)?
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:22 PM
  • I did look at these settings last night, but didn't know if I should mention it in this forum as the WHS console is the suggested administration tool.  The Sharing Permissions for each share (Music, Photos andVideos) do have a Mc-XXXXXX user on them with Full Control permissions.  The security settings specify two RM_X groups that the Mc-XXXXXX user is a part of.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:57 PM
  • I did look at these settings last night, but didn't know if I should mention it in this forum as the WHS console is the suggested administration tool.  The Sharing Permissions for each share (Music, Photos andVideos) do have a Mc-XXXXXX user on them with Full Control permissions.  The security settings specify two RM_X groups that the Mc-XXXXXX user is a part of.
    Are you sure it's RM_X?  It should be RO_X (for Read-Only access) or RW_X (for Read/Write access), not to mention that the Mc-XXXXXX user should be in 4 different RW_X groups based on your settings (1 for Photos, 1 for Music, 1 for Videos, all of which are based on your settings, plus an automatic 4th one for Recorded TV).
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 8:20 PM
  • My answer of security settings was far too broad.  Here is the layout of the groups that user Mc-XXXXXX belongs to and the security settings for each share.

User HOMESERVER\Mc-XXXXXX has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read and Write

Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:34 PM

I just remembered that the Media Center portion in the WHS Console is for Media Center Extender access, not Media Center access.  (To verify, I changed my user account to no access to my Recorded TV share and I couldn't play anything stored in that share through MC after doing so.)  Which means you'll need to either A) enable the Guest account on your server and set up at least Read access on those 4 shares or B) set up a user account on your HTPC with a matching user name and password on your server in order for it to work.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:35 PM
  • Does "Media Center Extender access" refer to devices such as an Xbox 360.  Does it not refer to the Windows Media Center application running on a Windows 7 machine?  If these these two devices access shares of a WHS differently it isn't advertised that way.  Not to mention the fact that WMC on my Win 7 machine was able to read some media from the WHS when I ran through the connector software installation and now cannot access anything on the WHS. 

Is it the suggested method of sharing media from WHS to WMC running on a Win 7 machine to either A) enable guest access or B) setup a user account on the HTPC with a matching user on WHS?  I assumed that neither was needed as I seem to remember reading in the WHS Power Pack 3 release notes that these types of setups were no longer needed to share media from WHS to a WMC installation as long as the connector software was setup.

I love both products but have not been able to find really good documentation on how these two products should be setup to work togethger.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Does "Media Center Extender access" refer to devices such as an Xbox 360.

Yes.

Does it not refer to the Windows Media Center application running on a Windows 7 machine?

Apparently not.  Access is based on the logged-in user account on a client (which an HTPC still is).  As I said, I removed the permissions for my user account on the Recorded TV share and once I did that (and logged off and logged back on), I could no longer view any of the Recorded TV shows stored on my server through WMC (although the metadata was still visible, when I tried to play it, I got "File Not Found").

If these these two devices access shares of a WHS differently it isn't advertised that way.  Not to mention the fact that WMC on my Win 7 machine was able to read some media from the WHS when I ran through the connector software installation and now cannot access anything on the WHS. 

Is it the suggested method of sharing media from WHS to WMC running on a Win 7 machine to either A) enable guest access or B) setup a user account on the HTPC with a matching user on WHS?

Yes.

I assumed that neither was needed as I seem to remember reading in the WHS Power Pack 3 release notes that these types of setups were no longer needed to share media from WHS to a WMC installation as long as the connector software was setup.

I don't remember that, but I never really checked it either because I was able to play Recorded TV (although, again, I was logged into my client with a matching user name and password).

I love both products but have not been able to find really good documentation on how these two products should be setup to work togethger.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:20 PM