none
Recertify MCSD

Question

• Hi,

May 8, 2016 my MCSD certificate will become inactive. I will do the re-certify exam this week. But what if I will not succeed and am not able to plan a second shot before May 8.

Can I still re-certify if the certificate has become inactive?

Regards,

Richard

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 7:38 AM

Answers

• Hi, Richard.

YES - you can take and pass your required recertification exam to convert your MCSD certification back to Active status after it becomes marked Inactive.

This is exactly what happened to me. My MCSD: Web Applications title became Inactive in November, 2015.

I took and passed the 70-494 recertification exam in February, 2016 and my MCSD: Web Applications title was converted back to Active.

As well, it will remain Active for two (2) years from the date I passed the exam. It says this on my transcript.

My MCSD was marked Inactive from November, 2015 until I passed the exam in February, 2016.

My transcript does not include the historical fact that my MCSD was Active from November, 2013 to November, 2015. I suspect it would have included this history if I had passed the exam before it became Inactive. However, my transcript includes the dates when I originally passed the required MCSD exams 70-480/70-483, 70-486, and 70-487.

NOTE: Once you pass any Microsoft certification exam, you can never retake it again. It's always been against Microsoft's Certification policy. You can't start over by retaking all the required exams again if you had already passed them.

I hope this helps. Go pass that recertification exam!

NOTE: the Second Shot program is no longer available. Instead, you may consider Microsoft's Booster Packs, which I describe at the top (scroll up) of this forum.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi, Richard.

YES - you can take and pass your required recertification exam to convert your MCSD certification back to Active status after it becomes marked Inactive.

This is exactly what happened to me. My MCSD: Web Applications title became Inactive in November, 2015.

I took and passed the 70-494 recertification exam in February, 2016 and my MCSD: Web Applications title was converted back to Active.

As well, it will remain Active for two (2) years from the date I passed the exam. It says this on my transcript.

My MCSD was marked Inactive from November, 2015 until I passed the exam in February, 2016.

My transcript does not include the historical fact that my MCSD was Active from November, 2013 to November, 2015. I suspect it would have included this history if I had passed the exam before it became Inactive. However, my transcript includes the dates when I originally passed the required MCSD exams 70-480/70-483, 70-486, and 70-487.

NOTE: Once you pass any Microsoft certification exam, you can never retake it again. It's always been against Microsoft's Certification policy. You can't start over by retaking all the required exams again if you had already passed them.

I hope this helps. Go pass that recertification exam!

NOTE: the Second Shot program is no longer available. Instead, you may consider Microsoft's Booster Packs, which I describe at the top (scroll up) of this forum.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Davin,

Thanks for your reply. Luckily I passed my recertification today.

But it is good to know it is still possible if a certificate becomes inactive.

I will have a look at what the Microsoft's Booster Packs are.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Richard Bergmans

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:31 AM