Clone WHS primary drive in under 30 mins - no reinstall or loss of backups RRS feed

• General discussion

• I found the following system for replacing the primary drive with(c: sys and d: data):
    - no loss of backups
    - no loss of data
    - no rebuild/reinstall
    - no stuffing around
    - takes under 30 mins

On my system it worked on SATA drives running AHCI. It did not work with the drives running as native IDE. This makes me think that there are some driver related issues. Also my primary data drive was practically empty.

This won't work if your primary drive has failed as you need to image it. I'm also not sure if would work restoring an old image if data/drives have changed.

Steps
    1. Create an Acronis recovery disk
    2. Disconnect all data drives
    3. Leave the primary drive with c: sys and d: data connected.
    4. Connect your replacement drive, I used the next sata port
    5. Boot from the Acronis recovery disk
    6. Clone disk - make sure to leave the sys partition as 20GB. I went from a 250GB to 500GB and used custom resize to allocate the remainder of the disk to d:
    7. Remove the old disk and connect the new disk to the same sata port
    8. Reboot with only sys attached. I did this to check that it worked and got a minor error message
    9. Shutdown
    10. Reattach all other data drives
    11. Reboot
    12. Finished

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:01 AM

All replies

• This sounds to be a more cool and efficient solution than the WHS built-in way.

Did you use a full licensed version of product here: "Acronis True Image 11 Home" ? (means I have to buy it when I want to follow your solution).

Thanks

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:23 PM
  • Rumour has it that you can use a trial version of Acronis to burn a recovery disk Smile
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:54 AM
  • Look for MaxBlast from Maxtor (Now Seagate) This is actually a copy of Acronis and is free. I'm sure it has some limitations but would be worth a try.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:01 PM
  • StorageCraft's ShadowProtect won PC Mag's Editors Choice.  Anyone who uses VMWare might appreciate it.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:52 AM
  •  krypto1 wrote:
    Rumour has it that you can use a trial version of Acronis to burn a recovery disk

This is true, but you can't actually do anything with it.  The clone disk app. (on the bootable recovery disk) goes through all of the steps and at the end it says it is not supported for the trial version (highly annoying I might add).

If you have a Seagate hard drive you can can get Seagate's version (for free off of Seagate's site) of Acronis and use that.  It only works if you have a Seagate hard drive installed (it doesn't appear to matter if the Seagate is the from or to drive).

Oh, and whatever you do, don't be fooled into buying the Acronis through the Seagate special offer.  The special offer is to upgrade the Seagate version to the full Acronis version.  The marketing fools you into thinking you're actually buying a standalone product.  Anytime you need to re-install you have to install the 'correct' Seagate version first and then the official Acronis one.

Been there, done that. Stick out tongue

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:16 AM
  • And the full version is workstation only.  I bought that and it works just fine on XP but tells me that it won't work on Windows 2003.  Sigh.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:26 AM
  •  John W. Colby wrote:
    And the full version is workstation only.  I bought that and it works just fine on XP but tells me that it won't work on Windows 2003.  Sigh.

The bootable recovery disk should work regardless right?  That way at least you get the clone capability.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:33 AM
  • Thanks guys. Very useful comments reg. Acronis...after all that it does not look interesting anymore...they have build too much caviats...

Btw, has anyone experience with Symantec Ghost? Would that work too?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:11 PM
  • ghost creates a perfect image from a hard drive, and can be used as a boot disk, so I don't see why not!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  Atrider2007 wrote:

Thanks guys. Very useful comments reg. Acronis...after all that it does not look interesting anymore...they have build too much caviats...

Btw, has anyone experience with Symantec Ghost? Would that work too?

Despite Acronis' caviats the clone feature works well.  I recently did the following with it:

-Cloned my workstation to an external USB hard drive
    -Upgraded my workstation to a striped RAID 0
    -Cloned the USB hard drive back to my workstation's RAID 0

Everything went smoothly.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:48 PM
  • I have successfully cloned an orginal Hitachi 400gb IDE Drive (sys c: and data d:) to a new Samsung 500gb SATA Drive using Acronis as suggested.

There is one minor niggle though in the WHS Console it still reports the sys drive as an Hitachi! all seems to work OK and no data loss I can find but is there a way to get WHS to recognise the replacment drive correctly?
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:05 PM
  • I have Acronis TrueImage 9 - a Home edition - and I have tried the CLONE function to another drive... I really just need a backup that I can take off site or put in a fireproof safe.
    However, it looks like it works (takes for EVER!) but when I put the destination drive back in place of the original in the WHS server, it does not run. It gives a cryptic error message that, when looked up online, says the sevice did not start due to some issue with the drive, I'm sorry, something with the volume info or something like that.

What it really indicated to me is that it copied all the data on c:sys and d:data to the destination drive, but not EVERYTHING, and that includes missing some critical "hidden" data that WHS looks at to see that it's all happy with recognizing the drive.

Anyone find a way around this, or even find this same result? Maybe you are not actually testing the resulting cloned drive by replacing the original with the clone...?

- Ed
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:05 PM
  • I used Acronis to clone each of the two 500MB hard drives in my WHS onto two new 1TB drives.  Then I inserted the new drives into the WHS and booted it up.  It gave me all sorts of critical errors and didn't recognized the cloned primary drive a a primary drive.  Instead it showed the previous drives missing and the two new drives as added.  I ccan access the data on them but again, WHS is reporting Critical Errors.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:10 PM
  • This will explain what you have to do to fix all of these errors:

tp://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01/17/forum-spotlight-how-to-successfully-clone-and-upgrade-a-whs-system-drive/

You have to change the drive UniqueId on the new drives to the old drives id and then you have to change the registry to reflect the new drive geometry. The link gives you a step by step on how to do this...

Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:04 AM
  • The instructions in the link above are good but fairly complicated.  I wonder if a server reinstall at that point would achieve the same thing, i.e., changing the registry etc.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 12:50 PM