access denied to backup files RRS feed

• Question

• I back up both the desktop and laptop to an external hard drive.  It ran short of room on the last back up so I cleaned it up and deleted all but the last Live backup of the laptop.  The backup of the desktop completed without any problems.  When I opened the external drive to verify the backups, I was not allowed to open either file.  Access denied.  This has never happened before with any backup system (Norton, McAfee, Retrospect).  Am I missing a step?  I am the only user on both computers.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• OneCare protects the backup location by restricting access to it. You can refer to the instructions here: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2 for how to modify the permissions so that you can delete or browse the backups, however, you should browse the backups from within OneCare by running the Restore wizard short of restoring files.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:45 PM
  • When I (as Administrator) try to access OneCare's backup folder to delete it, "Access is Denied".  When I go into Properties to change the Sharing to permit Network or Local sharing (as is recommended in some forums), I get "Access is Denied" and "The shared resource was not created."

I long ago deleted Windows OneCare from my computer.  Now how do I get rid of the backup folder???

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:54 AM
  • You'll find instructions for this here: FAQ: How to Delete Backups

-steve

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:06 PM