Look up table OR text in custom fields. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I´ve created a couple of custom fields with no major problems. I was wondering if its possible to have a custom field where the user has the ability to choose from a look up table or if he can´t find the value they want to use write it on a text box. Maybe have an option in the table that reads "other" and when the user selects it gives him the ability to write.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:11 PM

Answers

• Not available OOB, you will need customization, Just thinking loud, a probable solution could be having a text type custom field value which takes the input and on Server Side Custom field Update some code fires which validates against set of predefined values or any sort of logic could be built for accepting / updating the values

Or Other Solution could be, while the user selects "Others" value from custom field Lookup Table values, before update event custom code fires and checks for value as "Other" and pops a new page/window which accepts new value and PSI in the backend Updates that value

Let me know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:30 PM

All replies

• Not available OOB, you will need customization, Just thinking loud, a probable solution could be having a text type custom field value which takes the input and on Server Side Custom field Update some code fires which validates against set of predefined values or any sort of logic could be built for accepting / updating the values

Or Other Solution could be, while the user selects "Others" value from custom field Lookup Table values, before update event custom code fires and checks for value as "Other" and pops a new page/window which accepts new value and PSI in the backend Updates that value

Let me know if this helps

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Thanks for your help Sunil.

Cheers

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:56 PM