File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.532.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>21926f85-2dbc-405c-bfdc-e93ee06c0c5d</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-77MC6</PKey><PID>55274-644-8845021-23332</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-516694718-1855639650-1765217990</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Packard Bell NEC</Manufacturer><Model>00000000000000000000000</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>2.0J    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20021022000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>138C39B70184B153</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91170409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>BBDC895C6FE45DC</Val><Hash>YjBF/Ux83XF5IwWmGphUmK4ZPCw=</Hash><Pid>72079-750-8407887-55934</Pid></Product><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>C264DA45AA08546</Val><Hash>XAE2kZh/9arXvgQTyi+NfOsCtYc=</Hash><Pid>54186-760-2346596-17790</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, July 31, 2006 12:10 AM

Answers

• Danvers,

Right now, your Packard Bell computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 7), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Some Good News!  Your Office XP Pro installation is showing as Genuine!

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  We would expect yours to have "Packard Bell NEC" on it.

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

It's very likely that your PB came with a licensed installation of Windows when it was new, so "getting genuine" might be as simple as reinstalling that genuine copy of Windows back onto the computer.

Monday, July 31, 2006 12:30 AM

All replies

• Danvers,

Right now, your Packard Bell computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 7), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Some Good News!  Your Office XP Pro installation is showing as Genuine!

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  We would expect yours to have "Packard Bell NEC" on it.

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

It's very likely that your PB came with a licensed installation of Windows when it was new, so "getting genuine" might be as simple as reinstalling that genuine copy of Windows back onto the computer.

Monday, July 31, 2006 12:30 AM
  •  

I have the PC at home but it is for business as well as personal use.  The problem is that I have moved house since buying it (over three years ago) and I cannot find the original Windows software disk. I am sure it had all the security stickers on it when it came, but I have a feeling that Windows was already installed on the machine when I got it. I think the version I am using is Pro, but I have also installed Plus! Media Edition.

Any suggestions?

Monday, July 31, 2006 7:31 AM
  • Danvers,

Most likely the problem is that you have a pirated version of Pro installed, while the PC came from PB with Home installed.

The computer probably came with a recovery partition, meaning that the files needed to recover the original installation of XP Home to its original condition were located on a hidden section of the hard disk drive.  Quite often when pirated XP Pro is installed, the person installing will delete the recovery partition.  In such case you will have to ask PB for a recovery CD, but from what others have posted, PB charges a lot of money to have them send you a replacement CD, very nearly as much as Microsoft will charge you for a new CD and license for XP Pro.

Monday, July 31, 2006 2:00 PM
  •  

Dan,

What if I have XP Home? Is there hope? I doubt v much that PB would have sold me pirated software and I have not installed a pirated version on top of what they sold me.

Thanks

Danvers

Monday, July 31, 2006 2:04 PM
  • Danvers,

It looks like you have a Volume license version of Windows XP Pro installed on your computer. If you do have an XP home disc, you would have to do a clean install.

Monday, July 31, 2006 3:56 PM
  • Danvers,

PB did not ship your computer with a pirated installation of XP Pro.

The COA will tell you what PB installed on the computer befire it shipped.  My guess is that it came with XP Home.

If you ever took your computer to a shop for repairs, virus cleanup, spyware cleanup, etc, then experience tells us that this is the most likely source of a pirated XP Pro volume licensing edition.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 3:55 AM
  • Nope. I have never taken the computer back to the shop for repairs.

Can I not just get some sort of key from MS to allow me to carry on using what I have got? This is v frustrating - I feel as if I am being held to ransom.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:16 AM
  • Danvers,

A well-meaning friend helping you wih your computer might have put the pirated copy on, too.

You can just buy a new systembuilder/OEM license for XP Home, in the USA these go for around $85 +/-.  Or Pro, for around $140.

You can participate in the Genuine Windows Offer to purchase a valid Windows XP Pro full retail Product Key and genuine CD, if you qualify.  To get localized info about the GWO, right click on the Blue Star in the Notification Area (aka system tray), and choose the option to take you to solutions.  Your time zone shows you are in GB, other posters have mentioned that the cost is £92 for XP Pro.

You can find out if your computer still has its recovery partition and if so, use it to get XP Home back.  Backup or otherwise offload your data for safekeeping first!

You can ring up PB to find out how much it would cost to get recovery CDs.  I think others have posted they charge a lot more than you would think they should for their recovery CDs!!

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 2:45 PM