none
Windows Vista suddenly becoming not genuine?

Question

• After 2.5 years my copy of Vista is reporting that it is no longer genuine. I have tried entering the product key on the back of the computer but it does not work.

Many of the features are no longer working properly. I can't open Excel files for instance. I can't run any virus software. I can't download any software online although the web does actually work and I can view pages.

Please can someone help??

Thank you

Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• After 2.5 years my copy of Vista is reporting that it is no longer genuine. I have tried entering the product key on the back of the computer but it does not work.

Many of the features are no longer working properly. I can't open Excel files for instance. I can't run any virus software. I can't download any software online although the web does actually work and I can view pages.

Thank you

Further to this message - I cannot download the diagnostics tool to my computer. I have downloaded it onto a memory stick but could not put it onto the C drive, only on the D recovery drive. It is unresponsive and just hangs when trying to run it here though.

Seem every solution I have read so far does not work for me. I have Avast on the machine but I cannot uninstall this either as it will not let me. 

Saturday, July 9, 2011 5:10 AM
  • "Stephen Gibbard" wrote in message news:a8793e56-c243-413c-a164-e6d63821b932...

After 2.5 years my copy of Vista is reporting that it is no longer genuine. I have tried entering the product key on the back of the computer but it does not work.

Thank you

Further to this message - I cannot download the diagnostics tool to my computer. I have downloaded it onto a memory stick but could not put it onto the C drive, only on the D recovery drive. It is unresponsive and just hangs when trying to run it here though.

Seem every solution I have read so far does not work for me. I have Avast on the machine but I cannot uninstall this either as it will not let me. 

Boot to Safe Mode, and run an Avast scan there first - then uninstall Avast using the link in the All Programs menu.
    reboot to Normal mode, and see if that's helped.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 8:53 AM
  • I ran Avast and it found a NSIS virus which it removed. I then uninstalled Avast but it still has the same issues and will not run the MS diagnostics program.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:27 PM
  • Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:44 PM
  • "Stephen Gibbard" wrote in message news:448438e8-3aca-4af3-adda-cf3009dbc216...
    I ran Avast and it found a NSIS virus which it removed. I then uninstalled Avast but it still has the same issues and will not run the MS diagnostics program.

OK -download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free - www.malwarebytes.org ) - do NOT opt for the Real-Time scanning (it has issues in my Vista system), and update it, then run a Full System Scan in your usual user profile and a Quick scan in all other users. Delete everything it finds.
    If the installer fails to open, try again in Safe Mode with Networking. If it still fails, try renaming it to explorer.exe and running it (which fools the malware<g>).

--

Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Hi again,

Okay - have been able to download Malwarebytes in safe mode and run then delete everything that it found.

Have now tried to download MSDIAG again but this just hangs and again it does not run from the d: drive where I was able to place it from the memory key.

Same issues in the Windows is still showing as not genuine.

Regards

Saturday, July 9, 2011 10:55 PM
  • "Stephen Gibbard" wrote in message news:f197f12a-ba7a-4022-8967-2b397b2deb70...

Hi again,

Okay - have been able to download Malwarebytes in safe mode and run then delete everything that it found.

Have now tried to download MSDIAG again but this just hangs and again it does not run from the d: drive where I was able to place it from the memory key.

Same issues in the Windows is still showing as not genuine.

Regards

What did MBAM find? anything significant?
    You may be well-advised to go to the Virus support people at MS and make sure that the system is clean - they may be able to help with the other problems as well.

--

Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:09 PM