Having trouble with Search. Any tips/tricks to improve the results? RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone have some general tips on how to search contacts more effectively?  My sales team is having a hard time finding records when the search query doesn't EXACTLY match the contact name. 

Example:  Search for "John's Auto Repair Shop" under 'Contacts'

I want the results to include results even if the actual record is slightly different than the search query.

For example:

"Johns Auto Repair Shop"  (no apostrophe)
    "John's Auto Repair"  (w/o the word 'Shop)
    "John's Automotive Repair Shop" ("Automotive" instead of "Auto")

The only solution I have is to tell the team to search by the lowest common denominator (e.g. "John").  There's got to be a better way.  Anyone have some tips/tricks?

Thanks for your help.

Friday, November 20, 2009 1:08 AM

Answers

• A common hint is to add an asterisk (*) to the beginning of the quick search, thereby making it a 'contains' search.

Some users have created a secondary field 'search string'. - using jscript the field is updated with a copy of the name, but stripped of any characters (.,-' " etc.)  this is added to the quick search so John's and Johns will both return the same.

For contacts, if the default fullname is formatted 'lastname, firstname' - I've done the same and populated an additional search field with 'firstname lastname' - I add it to the quick search. - that way someone could serch for "John Johnson" "John J" "Johnson, J" etc - (since searching for "John" in a large database will return too many results.)

Other strategies includeadding more fields to the quick search, like phone number and/or email or primary contact name will also help users find data they are looking for. (Be careful with this, b/c adding too many quick-search fields slows things down and may result in too many records returned from a given search.)

Beyond that, look into the Advanced Search accelerator - but that may be overkill and over complicate what you're trying to do.

Didn't mean to get carried away on this, but there are multiple things you can do - nothing beats users becoming familiar with their data and learning how to search a couple of variations.  (much like if you searched for "John's Auto Repair" on Bing or that other big search engine....)

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:32 AM

All replies

• A common hint is to add an asterisk (*) to the beginning of the quick search, thereby making it a 'contains' search.

Some users have created a secondary field 'search string'. - using jscript the field is updated with a copy of the name, but stripped of any characters (.,-' " etc.)  this is added to the quick search so John's and Johns will both return the same.

For contacts, if the default fullname is formatted 'lastname, firstname' - I've done the same and populated an additional search field with 'firstname lastname' - I add it to the quick search. - that way someone could serch for "John Johnson" "John J" "Johnson, J" etc - (since searching for "John" in a large database will return too many results.)

Other strategies includeadding more fields to the quick search, like phone number and/or email or primary contact name will also help users find data they are looking for. (Be careful with this, b/c adding too many quick-search fields slows things down and may result in too many records returned from a given search.)

Beyond that, look into the Advanced Search accelerator - but that may be overkill and over complicate what you're trying to do.

Didn't mean to get carried away on this, but there are multiple things you can do - nothing beats users becoming familiar with their data and learning how to search a couple of variations.  (much like if you searched for "John's Auto Repair" on Bing or that other big search engine....)

Scott Sewell, CustomerEffective | http:\\blog.CustomerEffective.com | Twitter:@ScottSewell
    Friday, November 20, 2009 1:32 AM
  • Thanks, Scott.  I tried the asterisk trick but that doesn't seem to do much of anything.

Friday, November 20, 2009 9:44 PM
  • When you are using the 'quick search' (just above the view) - and add an astrisk to the beginning of the search string, it will perform a 'contains' search.

using your example - search for "*Auto" and you'll find all four of the variations you described.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 12:52 PM