Server Error in '/Remote' Application RRS feed

• Question

• OK I've seen this error mentioned in several places in the forum. It has been called a 'transient error', but in my case, 'transient' is every other time I try to remote access my WHS. I can't find mention of a fix anywhere. Is this still under investigation?

My WHS is a clean, two week old, RTM install, no addons other than the MS Toolkit.

I get the error message below when I go to https://<server>/homeserver.com:

Server Error in '/Remote' Application.

The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\w3wp.071026.124539.3232.log' because it is being used by another process.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\w3wp.071026.124539.3232.log' because it is being used by another process.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\w3wp.071026.124539.3232.log' because it is being used by another process.]
       System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) +1972013
       System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy) +998
       System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options) +115
       System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append) +58
       System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize) +91
       System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append) +31
       System.IO.File.AppendText(String path) +34
       Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Tracing..ctor(String fileTrace) +1051
       Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Support..cctor() +575

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Support' threw an exception.]
       Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Support.GetStringRegistryValue(String subkeyName, String valueName, String defaultValue) +27
       Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.GlobalSettings.get_WebsiteHeadline() +68
       Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.GlobalSettings.get_WebSiteName() +24
       Microsoft.HomeServer.RemoteAccess.Website.LogonPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +286
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1061

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.832; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.832

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hello Bananaman et al,

This issue is fixed in the latest update for Windows Home Server, described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941914/en-us. This is not yet on Windows Update. You can manually update your server through Windows Update by going to ‘settings’ in the Admin Console. If you have automatic updates turned on, your server should get updated tonight right before backups start.

Thanks,

Eugene

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:23 AM

All replies

• OK I've discovered some more characteristics of this problem:

The problem recurs every couple of days. Remote Access works fine, then suddenly I get the "Server Error in '/Remote' Application"  message at https://<server>.homeserver.com.

The WHS process which has the log file locked, and causes the error, is w3wp.exe.

On my WHS I find two or three w3wp.exe processes running. I think they are related to my remote logins. I killed one of the processes, and the problem went away. I am sure it will return again after a couple of days.

Any ideas anyone?
    Monday, October 29, 2007 6:54 PM
  • I experienced this error with the RC and I have not seen it with the RTM. ( installed about 2 weeks)

When runnning RC it happen so often and rebooting  fixed it ,that I created a batch file that rebooted the server ever morning at 4 PM.

This did solve the problem.

I believe that the issue is related to the logs and someone maybe "SME"  posted a fix for it. Will take a look around and see if I can find it.If I remember correctly stopping the process W3WP.exe and clearing the logs then rebiiting was the cure. Also Tom Z also posted on this issue.

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:04 PM
  • Thanks ROUZA! This is a fatal error if I am remote and trying to get in to my WHS, so I am anxious to find a fix for it. I'm worried that this is happening on a clean RTM installation.
    Monday, October 29, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Well I'm on the road again, and WHS remote access has let me down again. Can't get in. Same error. I know that when I get home and reboot my WHS box, it will work for a while, then the error will return. This is entirely consistent now. Once again, this is a clean RTM install, remote access works for a while, then gets borked and gives the error message in the original post.

Something is locking that log file and causing Remote Access to fail. What?
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 12:14 PM
  • Bananaman, have you changed any web timeouts? And especially, have you changed them through anything other than the WHS toolkit?
    Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:22 PM
  • No I haven't changed web timeouts. I haven't changed anything using the WHS Toolkit, just looked at some of the extra detail it gives (BTW I haven't had a really good scour of my logs etc using the Toolkit - I'll do that when I get home).

This is a really clean RTM installation. The only 'non-default' things I did were:

* Installed my Ethernet driver.
    * Changed the server name.
    * Changed the workgroup name.
    * Installed the WHS Toolkit.
    * No other add-ons have been installed or uninstalled.

I have the RTM connector installed on a desktop and a laptop. I uninstalled the RC connector first.

I saw the same error with the RC.

Tried both IE7 and Firefox, same thing, Cleared caches, same thing.

Sometimes, after a few hours the error clears itself. In this case I've been trying for two days and it has remained borked.

I do have one thought about which I'm hoping someone is going to tell me why I shouldn't worry: We all have WHS URL's https://<ourchosenname>.homeserver.com. Let's say my chosen name is a common English language name. If someone were constantly trying to hack in to my WHS by guessing my URL, would it result in a constantly locked log file?

Saturday, November 3, 2007 2:43 PM
  • OK, now I'm home again and can access the WHS. I've used the Toolkit and found event logs corresponding to my failed remote accesses. Here is a typical one below. Anyone have any clues?

I don't seem to be able to log bugs on Connect any more. Also note that I edited out my server name and IP address.

Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 10/26/2007 12:49:40 PM
    Event time (UTC): 10/26/2007 4:49:40 PM
    Event ID: 74b99f7ee7ce449d9bf767f72ad4ef30
    Event sequence: 4
    Event occurrence: 3
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/Remote-2-128378907392968750
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /Remote
        Application Path: c:\inetpub\remote\
        Machine name: MYSERVER

Process information:
        Process ID: 3232
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
        Exception type: TypeInitializationException
        Exception message: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Support' threw an exception.

Request information:
        Request URL: https://myserver.homeserver.com/Remote/logon.aspx?ReturnUrl=/remote/Default.aspx
        Request path: /Remote/logon.aspx
        User host address: <IP address removed>
        User: 
        Is authenticated: False
        Authentication Type: 
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 1
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Support.GetStringRegistryValue(String subkeyName, String valueName, String defaultValue)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.GlobalSettings.get_WebsiteHeadline()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.GlobalSettings.get_WebSiteName()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.RemoteAccess.Website.LogonPage.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Monday, November 5, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Well I have rummaged around everywhere. I tried host-away's suggestion, that didn't work. I also tried Joel Burt's suggestion, and that didn't work.

WHS Remote Access is a bust for me. This problem is 100% reproducable. Remote Access works, then the problem appears within 24-48hrs. It can be fixed by rebooting WHS or killing the w3wp.exe processes. This is a clean OEM installation.

I can say that WHS Remote Access works, as long as I am at home .

Nobody out there with any other ideas? I would like to be able to show off photos on my WHS over Thanksgiving. I have a backup plan (I have been using Google's Picasa).
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:26 PM
  • Would it help anyone if I TALQ'ed?
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:29 PM
  •  

Bananaman,

You could run IISRESET from a dos prompt.  That could be scheduled from task manager and does not require a reboot and would reset all the websites that are hosted on this machine.  I have not been a tech for a web hosting company for some time now but when I did we just ran this as opposed to rebooting the machine.  That shuts down w3wp and restarts iis admin service as well as some other things.  If the issue is simply the log file is locked should remove taht as well.  The site would only be down for a few minutes and if it worked for a day that would be long enough for the next schedule to reset it so it would appear to be up all the time.  The comand to schedule is just iisreset.exe in the system32 folder.

Ron

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:23 AM
  • Thanks forcefedbug !

My WHS Remote Access home page was borked again this morning, so I ran iireset manually, and it cleared the problem!

Per your suggestion I have set up task scheduler to run iireset once a day.

This is a good workaround to get me by, but not the solution. Still no hint as to what the cause is.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Well I thought the daily iireset was going to fix the job, but it hasn't. I've away for Thanksgiving. After working fine for four days, WHS Remote Access is borked again. I really don't know what to do next. The problem is persistent.
    Saturday, November 24, 2007 3:25 PM
  • Hello Bananaman et al,

This issue is fixed in the latest update for Windows Home Server, described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941914/en-us. This is not yet on Windows Update. You can manually update your server through Windows Update by going to ‘settings’ in the Admin Console. If you have automatic updates turned on, your server should get updated tonight right before backups start.

Thanks,

Eugene

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:23 AM
  • If you have troubles installing this update, please check Web Site Home Page setting in Admin Console / Settings / Remote Access, and make sure it is set to Windows Home Server Home Page.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 8:30 AM
  • Thanks Eugene!

Windows Update installed the WHS update for me this morning. Its not obvious from the release notes that my particular problem is fixed, but my fingers are crossed! I've deleted the daily iireset task which I had created (above). Now we just wait and see how it goes .
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:10 PM
  • Yes! This update fixed the problem. Thanks Eugene and all.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:27 PM